One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 14:17:10

Hibiki

A way to punish trolls

we need a method to distinguish if a troll has joined a village something like a karma system if you do bad things you loose karma points and if you reach a low enough  level you will be send to a designated troll server for 7 days where you can play as a troll as much as you want maybe a 3 color balls above players heads

green = good Karma

yellow = low Karma

red = murderer Karma  <- can kill him without any penalty

#2 2018-03-12 14:39:11

Baron X

Re: A way to punish trolls

Solid idea - what prevents trolls of the rating system flagging everyone they meet as trolls? Maybe to counteract that a weighted system where more trusted players have more of an impact on ratings, so one good review is a big deal, and one negative can have a big impact to eliminate trolls.

#3 2018-03-12 14:48:33

Matok

Take it from an old UO player, flagging systems can easily be gamed by trolls. Usually the good guys are the ones who end up getting the short end of the stick.

#4 2018-03-12 15:58:17

33Spectre

Matok wrote:

Take it from an old UO player, flagging systems can easily be gamed by trolls. Usually the good guys are the ones who end up getting the short end of the stick.

I agree with this. Long-term online player, as well...
Trolls by basis undermine and subvert systems.

Absolute freedom is chaos, absolute order is tyranny...

Also, how to prevent people from abusing this system against others they don't like/don't want in the settlement. It would have to get painfully specific, therefore probably easy to game, as Matok wrote.

Best solution for now is maybe some creative community punishment that doesn't go too far. But, you know,  stones are easy to throw when offered...

#5 2018-03-12 21:14:52

xoomorg

33Spectre wrote:

Best solution for now is maybe some creative community punishment that doesn't go too far. But, you know,  stones are easy to throw when offered...

I think this is the intended solution, from what I understand.

#6 2018-03-12 21:17:33

Portager

A big problem with this idea (although I applaud the suggestion) is that it could be used to flag new players who simply do not know what they are doing yet and need mentoring, not punishment. We can't afford to scare away new players, or come this time next year there will be only a handful of us playing the game.

#7 2018-03-12 21:34:53

Hans Lemurson

Maybe given the constant death and reincarnation in the game, we should think about applying a more literal interpretation of Karma: Kill a man, come back as a rabbit.

Board footer