One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 14:50:54

Booklat1

better transportation (traveling together)

Many of us hav tried moving with our families only to realize how terribly difficult it is unless either you both have zoom/you're both pros/ you walk extremely slowly.

Should we get some means of transportation that allows passengers? It should be extremely expensive to make one of these things, but the complete lack of such a thing in the game disables the prospects of moving to save your line if you're moving to anywhere even slightly far away. It's also pretty hard to get help in activities outside town.

Since we already got much needed rebalances and a new biome to add complexity to the map I think we need more tools to explore the world efficiently. Maybe we could even paint wagons (and carts too, why not?).

Have you people any suggestions for transports or world exploration?

#2 2018-12-03 15:30:00

thundersen

Re: better transportation (traveling together)

I think taking passengers in a horse drawn cart would be great. Babies take one slot, grownups two. Would probably look hilarious with the bouncing too.

For early game maybe primitive sleds that dont slow you down too much?  Maybe combine two straight branches with rope and straw for a draggable thingy that takes two items? With babies as possible passengers?

#3 2018-12-03 15:45:17

wolfgang

I also agree this is something we need at some point. Some friends and I that spawned as triplets attempted to leave to journey to bell town for fun and it was terribly hard to keep track of each other, especially when dodging bugs and in thick tree cover. Some way to bring others with would be nice.

#4 2018-12-03 15:53:09

mrslax

I think this would be a good idea as it would put a focus on teamwork within the game. Playing as an eve you live or die depending on your spawn location. Moving is almost always required. It would be nice to put a kid in a backpack or even getting one of those baby carriers so you can carry items back to camp. I can't tell you how many time I have the make the decision of letting a kid live or getting back to camp with seeds to plant food.

#5 2018-12-03 15:56:54

lionon

Modded client with zoom out is really useful here. With the official client it's almost impossible to travel as a group.

Same discussion on reddit (sigh), I have suggested a whistle instead. One person ("captain") blows it, everyone else get shortly an arrow seen of the whistle call he heard when within a certain radius. And please have the whistle be able to manufacture without a knife, I don't care how realistic this used to be.

#6 2018-12-03 16:51:36

Morti

If home markers and bells can be things that change the interface, displaying the arrow in the bottom, then maybe checkpoints could be added.

A simple way to make them would be to use the skewer and stone combo that already exists, or, to add something like mallet and skewer. The person in the lead, or, the one who has scouted out a path to a new location, can hammer a skewers in order and then the next person who comes along following their path simply has to touch them as they go. Each marker interacted with, bring up an arrow to the next.

If this were used, all that would be required would be a sharp stone and, let's say, mallet, and then the saplings would need to be found along the journey with excess carried to traverse areas without grasslands.

Another option would be to make a kit of some sort that had a number of uses.

Let's say, you add a blank paper to a skewer to get blank marker kit. You then stack the kits to some number, let's say, up to six. Use a charcoal pencil on the stack of kits and you get that many numbers of markers that come out in order of use. 1 leads the way to 2, 2 to 3, etc..

I could see other things being added to the game with similar functions to the skewer or bell tower, something like a compass, sextant or astrolabe. Though it's less likely that items make it into game if they don't convey some aspect of their real world counterparts. But if magnets and compasses were added, all members of a party could hold compasses but once, and the other hold a magnet. The magnet would make them, essentially, a moving home marker, for anyone carrying the compass.

--

Other than that, you could use milkweed seeds or clay pulled from a pit to make arrows and try to stick to those courses as best you can.

If you are ever lost, also keep in mind, that rabbits and cacti give a visual indication that someone has passed through the area. Cacti are not as reliable as rabbits, as they do go through 1/4 of their life cycle without fruit or flowers, but if the rabbits are already out of their holes, it's a good indication someone has passed through the area. If they are popping out as you approach them, than you are the first person they've seen, generally, and if you were following someone, that's a pretty good indication that you should turn back and look in another direction.

If you ever feel completely lost, find the nearest grassland, sharp stone the sapling, stone the skewer, and use that arrow to help guide you around.

The more you play, the more you get a feel for your location and get good at making maps in your head. Time spent traveling in directions become things you remind yourself of periodically, as well as landmarks.

Let's say you are going to look for iron. You travel 30 seconds north through grassland, prairie and tundra. Then you travel another 30 seconds east through a swamp and desert and find badlands, where you fill a basket with iron. If you have not set your home marker before that journey, you can either go back the way you came, or, travel southwest 40 - 45 seconds, or for about the time and a half that you traveled on either leg of the trip. When you get about 40 seconds into your trip southwest, you should start to see signs of your home biomes, if you don't, keep an eye out for them or the other ones you saw along the way. But if you travel more than a minute and don't see anything, I would go back the way you came, back northeast, favoring the northern direction to increase the odds of seeing some familiar landmark.

--

While thinking about several of my experiences in situations like this, I've come up with a few other ideas that could perhaps be implemented into the game.

Things that would alter the home marker; flags, smoke signals, signal fires or, soon techwise; flares or rockets.

Things that would alter the landscape, leaving a visual indication; something like using a branch on the ground that would leave a mark, that when placed on a piece of ground adjacent to it would combine to create an arrow. Since item uses have been given more variability with different actions used for left and right clicks, using a branch on bare ground with one would drop it, and with the other, leave a mark on the ground. Marking the ground with a stick could also help people to plan out areas for development.

Let's say you are holding a stick and you click to move five tiles away, a temporary line could be drawn in the dirt as you travel from the point you are in to that point. Maybe it fades away after 5 seconds or 5 minutes, it can be something that only exists in the area while people are near. Then, when everything else stops moving because no one has been in the area for x amount of time, it vanishes. I don't know if that happens immediately after the last person is gone or how it works, but 5 seconds equates to about a months time, doesn't seem like that would be an unreasonable amount of time for a mark on the ground to last.

As for multiperson transport, I think getting people's connections to sync up while moving in a game like this is going to be tricky. I just get that feeling that something is just not ready for it, but, if we do, it'd be nice to have horse drawn carriages. Maybe a larger version of the cart and two tame horses harnessed together.

#7 2018-12-03 17:38:49

JonySky
Website

I've already said it, and I reaffirm it ... the carriages are a great idea for this game
240951_malarstwo_mort_kunstler_dylizans_pociag_konie_woz_gory.jpg

#8 2018-12-04 01:32:26

denriguez

flintstonescar.jpg

#9 2018-12-04 10:10:32

JonySky
Website

jajajajajajaj, I want it!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSymXvKHVf1sojIhksv1jQhY4qfIiQLf-FrEn8Sqei3iBmJE2tP

Last edited by JonySky (2018-12-04 10:11:43)

#10 2018-12-04 14:46:09

Tramax

Perhaps a recipe like hand cart with tires + 1 wheel + boards + 1 wheel + 2 rubber tires = wagon, which can be climbed into - someone riding a horse then can click on the wagon - which puts them into the driver's seat.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#11 2018-12-04 15:54:28

WalrusesConquer

This would be great! You would have to have snack breaks along the way, and share road trip sobgs.!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2018-12-05 23:53:24

Solbusaur

Rail cart kit (No spring) + Rope + Rubber tires + Horse = Wagon
Then we just need the whole 'Carrying players' mechanic

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#13 2018-12-06 03:22:45

Monolith_Rans

Two horse teams maybe could carry more people/goods.  Jason said on reddit that he would eventually allow babies to be put in carts.  of course, you still need to stop to feed them.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#14 2018-12-06 07:05:21

lionon

I just say: trains

#15 2018-12-06 08:00:11

Tramax

lionon wrote:

I just say: trains

That would be great - but you'd need someone laying tracks which would take generations of work for people to accomplish to connect a new home with an old home sad

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#16 2018-12-06 08:08:53

lionon

And tracks would have to be more sensible. -> More iron.

I realize how the iron scarcity is a thing to Jason, yet the result is me going to stop on anyone in the game I see doing anything that wastes iron...

#17 2018-12-07 17:05:54

Booklat1

Now that we are getting all sorts of machines we should also get trains (and later cars).

#18 2018-12-08 02:24:09

Smetig

I always had the simple idea that babies should be able to be put in a cart.

If your name is Erika, Sebastian or Lukas, Im your mum

#19 2018-12-08 03:54:07

wio

I think it would be nice to hold someone's hand.

The leader would could invite someone to hold their hand by clicking on them with an empty hand. The invitation is finished if either party moves away. The follower can accept by clicking back on them with an empty hand.

If hand holding is initiated, then either both parties would be in the same tile or the follower would always enter the tile the leader once was in. The latter solution probably adds in some complexity due to things like closing doors, animations, and such.

The follower can cancel hand holding by clicking away. The leader can cancel by clicking on the follower.

To make things more silly, you could allow people to chain it by clicking on the follower. This would allow weird Christmas parades.

I think it balances itself out, because when holding hands you don't get to hold anything else besides worn inventory. Though it is a bit sad because I figured this feature would be more useful for Eve runs where being empty handed is pretty dangerous.

#20 2018-12-08 19:05:26

Auner

Nomading should be easier for eves.

Even a baby satchel would be better than nothing

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#21 2018-12-08 19:35:05

Booklat1

Has anyone found other civs while searching for oil or iron since the last update? I have a feeling this will start happening sooner than we think

#22 2018-12-08 22:00:37

Solbusaur

Don't know if the code would support it, but would players be able to hold items whilst in the wagon? I mean, having archers in wagons would make for great chases

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

Board footer