One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-02 20:49:56

lionon

About the food/temperature system

I know this going to anger certain individuals, and I don't see anything realistically change like the following text, but I want to put this comment / suggestion out there anyway.

What are the issues with the current system?
* Far most, it's very unintuative / complicated for newer players. Yes it's in the tutorial, but that's already a lot of information in a short time and additionally people seem to skim through it quickly. I remember myself, okay ice you need clothes desert you don't... that was it. Or something like that. I had no idea how important it's effects are. Mothers raising there children in the green are an obvious symptom, as well as a step fruther, they learned to "put em in the fire" -- which btw. I considered ridiculous when I first saw than on twitch -- then they put the children in the fire in the middle of the desert. Or some idiot/griefer putting bearrugs in the middle of the desert, lo and behold my mother tryed to raised me on one....
* Eating to compensate freezing kinda makes a little sense, eating to outrun heat stroke doesn't.
* The issue with optimizing when running with pies to go down almost all the way on hunger with one serving getting you to full. Really missing one breakfast/lunch/dinner doesn't kill you. Humans can survive for 3 weeks without eating. Given time runs a little strange in the game, before somebody calculates again how many seconds 3 weeks are when 1 minute is a year.... it's about the idea to be able to go somewhat into fast without dropping dead.

Following example as "best practice": If you got a little time the free offline game "unreal world" may be a nice diversion. If you can stand the not so nice graphics and the MUD-like controls. Anyway, it got the best hunger/food mechanic I've ever seen in a game so far. And I admit all the way like there might be too much for a fast paced like OHOL... It goes basically like this, the most important stat is your stamina bar. It determines what and how much you can do in a given time period. Doing stuff reduces stamina, resting increases (this is something I would not copy, but wanted to explain as I remember it). The maximum stamina you can have is determined tough by nurture level (and wounds). If you are in starvation you simply can't do much and exhaust quickly. Eating after a fast doesn't replenish the max stamina right away, but you also have to give it sometime to become healthy again.

"What I'd suggest": stamina bar is too much, but a "health bar". First your age determines your max health. children and elder just have less. The health bar also replaces current age limits, the things you can do are determined by your health, so if you starve there is no lifting that rock. Neither is if you are a child or a grandpa/ma. The temperature could be quite similar to food except it has a too little and too much. Instead of showing the surrounding temp. it would be "body temperature" with arrows how the surrounding & isolation would affect one. Too little or too much and the health bar would reduce, making hard work impossible, making you slow to move, and finally if it gets too extreme, death. There is no out-eating for being naked on an ice-sheet or wearing very thick clothes in the desert. Wounds would also simply reduce health ... until they are either fixed or health reaches zero.

Before you defend your game: I realize Jason seems to have quite a road in mind and I doubt he'd like to redo this, because likely he did it the way he did out of reason. I still wanted to write it down... maybe there is a huge overhaul far in the future and maybe someone remembers by then, or so.

#2 2018-12-03 04:47:04

Tramax

Re: About the food/temperature system

No thanks. I hate almost dying because I picked up my son. It doesn't sound fun dying because you picked up a rock or used a hoe.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#3 2018-12-03 05:28:02

lionon

Re: About the food/temperature system

Tramax wrote:

No thanks. I hate almost dying because I picked up my son. It doesn't sound fun dying because you picked up a rock or used a hoe.

I didn't suggest that.

Board footer