One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-12 05:21:56

coderone

[Suggestions] Core Concepts

The 4 below I feel are most important

1. Server by Experience: Should split the servers in a way that some are for new players, learning the basics(how to click stuff....., fire, farming, etc) in a small camp. Once a player has enough lives, like maybe 50.... or more..., they can join experience servers where progress can actually happen. All to often 1 or 2 new players can destroy a long family line and great camp, its so easy. Stand around learning while not contributing, eating all the wrong food at the wrong time, i could go on for a while on how easy it is. One might say, well new players can be considered to have genetic defects or we should teach them. Being a survival game, it would be nice if you could identify genetically bad children and kill them, here we cannot. Teaching them, often new players dont have grasp of clicking or idea of how to keep a community alive, the learning curve is so great that no amount of 5 word sentences can fix this.

2. Balance of Resources: In a moderately build and stable community, I can build an Oven and Firing Adobe Kiln and make plates and bowls in less time than it takes to create clothing, even if the community has few milkweed plants and fur laying around. I have spend 5-10 minutes looking around the map for a round rock, put me in almost any environment and I could find a round rock within 5 minutes(not 5 years this would be fraction of second in game). I know not all the gathering and growing elements are to scale of a year or the time spent, but I feel few items need output boosted.

3. Community Communication: Its impossible(yes in impossible) for a community to grow and expand successfully without communication and control. Such short amount we are given to live, and the constant need to be progressing and eating or otherwise parish. Its very very difficult to organize and have the community work together, forget even trying to teach someone something. Only being able to type one sentence at a time with off screen text not visible and overlapping chats. We need some sort of system to aid us with this, whether it be stat count on community items(naked people, consumable food, fur, etc), role assignment(farmer, hunter, explorer), elder control of some sort of community setup, i dunno something. One might argue we must do as a community, Think ahead even into the next age of evolution, where a community requires 10+ people to keep it running with complex systems and environments. Good luck passing down all that information and trying to keep order, while surviving(this is a survival game). In fact i would call this a community survival game, but the core concept of community organization is not here. I just dont see current system getting us past carrot farms and wooden carts.

4. Survival Game?: Sure I can run around the map and live to the age of 60 then die. I survived, but I think the core concepts of this game are community survival and community growth. I cant imagine playing this game without the food bonus, given all the previous topics and difficulties it would insanely difficult for even an experience community. I feel as almost two genres of games are being mixed and both at there most extreme. Either survival or growth needs to be simplified or have the difficulty reduced for the other challenge to be possible in a combination style.

These are nice to haves and minor compare to previous

1. Baby Control: Have toggle for when you are ready to raise a child. There is not much point to babies being born, running around waiting to die cause you cannot raise them. Then adding a grave to the area. This would probably help even reduce some server lag. Or, living in a community where everyone is controlling the population except one woman who loves every child that is born, this ultimately dooms any community.

2. Inventory System: Be your person, a cart, or items on the ground. Possibly have some sort of inventory management system. Pulling 5 items out of a backpack to access the first item you put in, or taking basket out of cart, then pulling the item. Then increase the difficultly of finding area to drop these items. If blocks had some sort of inventory access, this would even allow us to pile multiple items of different types into a single space on the ground. Item crafting could also happen from this same inventory system. Wouldn't even have to be a complex system, maybe just on the right side of the screen it shows all items in within the container you to clicked and drag to other items for crafting or double click to hold.

3. Game View: I think the character view needs to be zoomed out. Its very difficult to find items laying around or avoid danger. If one tree is a block, most I can see is 3 trees away. This seems very unreasonable. If the issue is visibility of smaller wild items, maybe they wont appear until you are within 3 blocks or something.

4. Crafting Helper: In game crafting guide would drastically help new players. Being able to search for item they want and figuring out how to craft it would drastically reduce burden they put on communities.

Edit: Suggetion Links

1. Community Communication: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … unication/

2. Balance of Resources: 4. Survival Game?: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … balancing/

3. Servers by Experience: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … xperience/

These are nice to haves and minor compare to previous

1. Birth Control: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … h_control/

2. Destory Adobe: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … tructures/

3. Game View: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … game_view/

4. Crafting Helper: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ng_helper/

Last edited by coderone (2018-03-12 15:23:58)

#2 2018-03-12 05:27:38

coderone

Re: [Suggestions] Core Concepts

And i just realized suggestion area has moved, i'll post there also.

#3 2018-03-12 05:34:15

Laddy

Server by experience is a bad idea, the newbs will get taught by less people as time goes on these new players are learning and getting better.

I agree to the balance of resources, a man with a backpack can rid a land entirely of milkweeds,

Community communication is a problem, but I think it can be fixed with the ingame properties, maybe as our world develops we can get more complicated communities and we can say more words or even have a chatbox, with perhaps a way to write down notes. You could also solve most of the other problems if we can just communicate better.

I agree with your last 4 sugguestions

#4 2018-03-12 07:24:15

Hans Lemurson

There's no effective way to make local knowledge persist without written lore.
What we need is the ability to place written signs in the world to specify how a village should be run and maintained.

#5 2018-03-12 08:02:31

Prince Turtle

1 Server based on player experience make no sense the game is new and we are all noobs so of us are just a little further up the tech tree. This is part of the game for a reason and so are bow and arrows. Also there are custom server that other players have setup. One such server makes it harder for you to die

2 I find round rocks, but I kind of know what you mean about the balance. Also there needs to be some starting food in other land area other then the grass lands

3 This post made me think of a possible solution to your noob issue with the game. The game is suppose to be the size of 700 Jupiter and since you can fit 1300 Earths in one Jupiter that is pretty big . If that is the case maybe new players can be spawn in undiscovered area and players that have been around get spawn in more civil areas. I am not new, but I hate spawning and can't find new areas to practice my survival skills with out find other players used goods.

4 We don't know what the future of the game holds now maybe we die early now, but in more modern floor tile for instance you could age slower or the food you eat could age you slower. Hell maybe you will be able to live longer and add life if you farm the right stuff. either case humans didn't live till 60 at this time so we are lucky.

Your next 4 comments sound legit to me

Last edited by Prince Turtle (2018-03-12 10:33:29)

Board footer