One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-21 19:49:34

UnnoticedShadow

Making Animals Stand On Items

Standing on an item has always been a surefire way to not get bitten by snakes, wolves, or that bear that is chasing your village, but with the introduction of mosquito's this has been highlighted a bit more, with mosquito's being the only threat in the jungle, being a perfect biome besides maple trees (plantable) and water.  (And iron, I guess) 

However, this has not been added with good reason I believe, as it is very hard to code in the game based off of how the game is programmed, and based off of what I know, that would mean adding a separate animal state for every item in the game combined with the animal, which is very hard.  Could anybody correct me if I am mistaken, or if there is some sort of way to work around such a problem?

#2 2018-11-21 20:08:14

Tramax

Re: Making Animals Stand On Items

Same concerns were raised in this thread but here's Jason's input from it:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, be careful eating too many bananas.  They can be binding.

The idea with this biome was to make one that was "perfect" in many ways (free food, perfect temp), but a pain in the ass because of the mosquitoes.  This is actually the way the jungle is in real life, sorta.

Regarding standing on a corn kernel to ward off a bear, that is correct, and it is really dumb.

How many players can dance on the head of a pin, though?

The players are separate from the map.  The animals are part of the map.  That's the difference.

Server 1 has 200,000 moving animals that have been seen on its map at some point.  That's a lot.  But it works, because they're all just regular map objects.  They go back to sleep, essentially, after someone hasn't looked in a while, and become just like a rock or a tree, until someone comes walking along again.

Now, it would be possible to store the animals on a separate layer in the map, maybe the way that floors are stored. Floors are actually kept in a separate database.

BUT... at this point, that would require a huge overhaul of a bunch of different systems on both client and server.  Probably a week or so of work, and lots of new bugs would result.

And really.... are you really saying that you haven't been killed by animals ENOUGH in this game?

You want MORE maulings and poisonings?   MOOOAAARRRR!

That said, yellow fever probably isn't severe enough.

You shouldn't be able to survive it without the help of someone else feeding you.  It should probably be longer, and take you down to 1/3 hunger bar.  And the fever should be hotter.

And maybe bananas need some nerfing.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#3 2018-11-21 20:37:09

Dodge

I agree, this is an issue that should be tackled at some point, besides the point that it makes no sense avoiding all wildlife related dangers by standing on random objects and breaking the immersion and sense of danger that a bear attacking a village would bring for example

It also affects all future challenges and dangers non related to lack of ressources that can be added to the game, imagine future villages and cities surviving a big event because everyone is using items to be invicible instead of actually having to deal with the threat to their survival (using new weapons,traps, defense system, medicines etc..), why would i advance in tech and do elaborate stuff when i can just stand on an item and spam arrows or wathever and be totally safe

#4 2018-11-21 20:39:27

Vexenie

Tramax wrote:

Same concerns were raised in this thread but here's Jason's input from it:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, be careful eating too many bananas.  They can be binding.

The idea with this biome was to make one that was "perfect" in many ways (free food, perfect temp), but a pain in the ass because of the mosquitoes.  This is actually the way the jungle is in real life, sorta.

Regarding standing on a corn kernel to ward off a bear, that is correct, and it is really dumb.

How many players can dance on the head of a pin, though?

The players are separate from the map.  The animals are part of the map.  That's the difference.

Server 1 has 200,000 moving animals that have been seen on its map at some point.  That's a lot.  But it works, because they're all just regular map objects.  They go back to sleep, essentially, after someone hasn't looked in a while, and become just like a rock or a tree, until someone comes walking along again.

Now, it would be possible to store the animals on a separate layer in the map, maybe the way that floors are stored. Floors are actually kept in a separate database.

BUT... at this point, that would require a huge overhaul of a bunch of different systems on both client and server.  Probably a week or so of work, and lots of new bugs would result.

And really.... are you really saying that you haven't been killed by animals ENOUGH in this game?

You want MORE maulings and poisonings?   MOOOAAARRRR!

That said, yellow fever probably isn't severe enough.

You shouldn't be able to survive it without the help of someone else feeding you.  It should probably be longer, and take you down to 1/3 hunger bar.  And the fever should be hotter.

And maybe bananas need some nerfing.

The biomes are basically same, good in ways but one huge pain in the ass
Examples:
Savannah - no branches or anything... WHY ARE WE LIVING HERE!!?!
Desert - hot as balls
Jungle - THESE FOCKIN PRICKS WON'T STOP CHASING ME!!! (mosquitoes)
Tundra - Brrrrrrr... WHY IS IT SO COLD??!?
Rockland - JESUS CHRIST! THIS PLACE IS DANGEROUS AND THERE'S NO FOOD!!!
Swamp - GOD DAMN THESE FOCKIN BOARS!!!
Forest - .......... It's okay... I guess

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#5 2018-11-21 21:04:16

UnnoticedShadow

Thank you, I have not been up to date lately on this game.  But about the biomes you listed

Savannah:  Rabbit biome, period.  Nothing else useful
Desert:  Same point, though cactus fruit is pretty op, snakes are actually threats though earlygame
Jungle: Heaven biome for everything but branches, mosquitoes can be walled/stand on items.  (They can be walled, right?)
Tundra:  Useless biome (With salt water)
Rockland:  The only balanced biome (arguably)  not supposed to be used for living, but nice to live near for iron, which is useful for early-game and late-game.
Swamp:  Need to live near, only way to get ponds, completely broken in terms of balance (and boars are not that dangerous)
Forest: See swamp, not technically necessary, but near impossible to start a village far away from one due to the lack of maple trees.

#6 2018-11-21 23:12:07

Tramax

Savannah has carrots, squash, beans and wheat in it too - all incredibly important secondary and tertiary crops to grow. Not only that but they have juniper trees which are essential for getting tinder. Finally, they also have rose bushes in them which are handy for fishing.
Deserts have horses too and are a good source for big and flat rocks.
Tundra has seals which can be clubbed for sealskin furs, other than that you only need to worry about it for sauerkraut.
Rockland also has wild cabbage, great for sauerkraut.
Swamps have clay which is really worth noting.
Forests are incredibly necessary because they are the only way to get soil. On top of that it's where berry bushes, stakes and milkweed are found which are the building blocks of every civilization in game.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer