One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-16 17:51:19

Irelia

Help Setting up a Custom Server

Hello,

First and foremost if this thread is the wrong spot please remove it, I am new to the forums and the game so please forgive any missteps.

A little of what I've done so far: I've set up a virtual machine using ubuntu server and followed this guide on how to set up the server: https://steemit.com/onehouronelife/@grz … r-one-life

I ran into an error on the "make" command. See here: https://puu.sh/C2Orl/d0787d6474.png

I tried to run the server anyways to see what happened but when I type: "sudo ./OneLifeServer" it says the command is not found, as seen in the above screenshot.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out because I am not well versed in Linux at all and do not have any clue on where I went wrong.

Thanks for reading,
Irelia

Last edited by Irelia (2018-11-16 17:53:09)

#2 2018-11-16 18:04:59

mx_owl

Re: Help Setting up a Custom Server

I used this guide: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=498

It includes virtualbox images with scripts to set up the server. It worked for me for a day and now I'm having some issues with the server crashing. Probably need to update. But it did work!

I don't know if this is relevant, but it doesn't save the server's state from run to run. Not sure if any test servers do, but it might be relevant...

Steam name same as forum name.

#3 2018-11-16 18:07:54

mx_owl

Also, it's possible you need to type 'sudo make'. It looks like the makefile can't make the new files, which might be a permissions issue.

#4 2018-11-16 18:33:58

Irelia

Thanks mx_owl, typing sudo make did the trick!

#5 2018-11-16 18:35:40

mx_owl

No problem! Glad I could help. smile

#6 2018-11-16 19:30:47

Irelia

I got my server up and running now but have a question if anyone can answer. Does anyone know a way to reset/wipe the world? Not using the apocalypses, by using the terminal. I could just reinstall the server but that seems like a lot.

#7 2018-11-16 19:38:07

Floofy

Sorry to highjack the topic but what's the point of this exactly? You're gonna play with friends on the private server? Or you got a lot of people willing to play on it? How do you get a player base for it? Did you mod the server?

#8 2018-11-16 19:50:39

mx_owl

I can only speak for myself, but I use the private server to practice surviving and crafting on my own, so I can figure out basic survival and camp making without being inundated with babies or messing up the plans of more experienced players.

Most Eve camps don't make it far enough to practice the more advanced skills anyway. On a private server, I just keep respawning in the same location every time I die, so it's easy to pick back up.

Also, TBH, reading the comments on this forum about how many people resent the influx of noobs makes me hesitant to try too much on the real game, or do much besides what I already know. Practicing by myself means nobody is mad when I make a mistake or waste something or whatever. But that's me. I have a real life mother who resents me, so I don't need that in my free time!

(Edited for copyediting, not content.)

Last edited by mx_owl (2018-11-16 19:53:56)

#9 2018-11-16 19:51:30

Irelia

No issue, it's a bit strange I know but the reason for it is so me and some friends can learn the game on our own in a private setting. We don't have a ton of time to play, and not many people want to support quadruplets or are able to, and spawning in as 4 Eves is uncommon. I understand that a lot of the appeal to the game is building up a society with a long lineage but for us we have had trouble learning how to play in that setting. So I wanted to set up a private server where we can spawn as Eve's together as 4 or even more and learn together without hindering others or relying on the birth system.

#10 2018-11-16 19:52:36

mx_owl

Oh man. Another tangent, but if you were playing last night, I might have been the one dumping you. I kept getting 4 babies at once and panicking. If so, sorry -- I'm just also new and have a hard enough time supporting myself!

#11 2018-11-16 19:55:59

Obs

Irelia wrote:

I got my server up and running now but have a question if anyone can answer. Does anyone know a way to reset/wipe the world? Not using the apocalypses, by using the terminal. I could just reinstall the server but that seems like a lot.

You can safely delete these folders & files to completely "reset" your server:

/curseLog
/failureLog
/foodLog
/lifeLog

*.db
curseSave.txt
eveRadius.txt
log.txt
mapDummyRecall.txt
recentPlacements.txt

#12 2018-11-16 20:07:47

Irelia

mx_owl wrote:

Oh man. Another tangent, but if you were playing last night, I might have been the one dumping you. I kept getting 4 babies at once and panicking. If so, sorry -- I'm just also new and have a hard enough time supporting myself!

Oh no, I totally get it. It's not easy to support 4 kids at once!

Obs wrote:

You can safely delete these folders & files to completely "reset" your server:

Thanks! A couple questions about that though, as I don't know a ton about linux, would I just use the 'rm' command? Also would these folders and files just re-create themselves on server start?

#13 2018-11-16 20:07:53

Floofy

Irelia wrote:

No issue, it's a bit strange I know but the reason for it is so me and some friends can learn the game on our own in a private setting. We don't have a ton of time to play, and not many people want to support quadruplets or are able to, and spawning in as 4 Eves is uncommon. I understand that a lot of the appeal to the game is building up a society with a long lineage but for us we have had trouble learning how to play in that setting. So I wanted to set up a private server where we can spawn as Eve's together as 4 or even more and learn together without hindering others or relying on the birth system.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but quadruplet is indeed a problem. I've rarely seen 4 quadruplet all survive, even if they spawn in a decent civ.

#14 2018-11-16 20:20:11

Obs

Irelia wrote:

Thanks! A couple questions about that though, as I don't know a ton about linux, would I just use the 'rm' command? Also would these folders and files just re-create themselves on server start?

Yes, and yes. big_smile  Here's a quick-and-dirty one-liner you can run in your server folder from the terminal that should get the job done.  Or you can copy & paste it into a bash shell script so that you can just use that to run the command whenever you need.

In the terminal:

rm -rf curseLog failureLog foodLog lifeLog *.db curseSave.txt eveRadius.txt log.txt mapDummyRecall.txt recentPlacements.txt

As a bash script, IE:  /server/wipeServer.sh

#!/bin/sh -e

rm -rf curseLog failureLog foodLog lifeLog *.db curseSave.txt eveRadius.txt log.txt mapDummyRecall.txt recentPlacements.txt

For rm, the -r flag means recursively remove folder contents and -f is to force.  For bash, the -e flag means to halt on any errors in the script.

#15 2018-11-16 20:30:30

Starknight_One

mx_owl wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I use the private server to practice surviving and crafting on my own, so I can figure out basic survival and camp making without being inundated with babies or messing up the plans of more experienced players.

Most Eve camps don't make it far enough to practice the more advanced skills anyway. On a private server, I just keep respawning in the same location every time I die, so it's easy to pick back up.

Also, TBH, reading the comments on this forum about how many people resent the influx of noobs makes me hesitant to try too much on the real game, or do much besides what I already know. Practicing by myself means nobody is mad when I make a mistake or waste something or whatever. But that's me. I have a real life mother who resents me, so I don't need that in my free time!

Most of us don't resent the influx. We WANT new players. We just want them to pay attention in the tutorial and apply a little critical thinking instead of just eating the berries and planting eight million bushes. smile

#16 2018-11-16 20:32:43

Irelia

Thanks a ton Obs! big_smile

#17 2018-11-16 20:42:27

mx_owl

Starknight_One wrote:

Most of us don't resent the influx. We WANT new players. We just want them to pay attention in the tutorial and apply a little critical thinking instead of just eating the berries and planting eight million bushes. smile

That's good to hear! And like I said, this is probably somewhat of a personal problem. But is is why I've been looking at tutorials and practicing -- it's genuinely more fun when you have at least some sense of what needs to happen and why. I know I have a better time when my babies know not to run around like crazy, for example.

#18 2018-11-16 20:57:45

CrazyEddie

Starknight_One wrote:

As a new player I for one appreciate that sentiment, and to the degree that I'm an experienced player now (I can forage! I can smith! I can farm! I can make stew! I can make roads!) I feel the same way. But I will also note that experienced players (in all games!) tend to expect too much from new players, even when being charitable. They forget how bad they were when they started off, or they're hardcore gamers and learned better and faster than most people ever will.

mx_owl wrote:

For anyone else who might be reading this: You can do nearly the same thing without having to set up a private server just by playing on one of the official-but-unpopulated servers. Most of the time you'll be free to play as Eve without anyone else spawning in. Go to http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report and pick a server with a small population, then manually enter that in the Settings menu, checking the "Use Custom Server" checkbox.

#19 2018-11-16 21:06:31

mx_owl

CrazyEddie wrote:

For anyone else who might be reading this: You can do nearly the same thing without having to set up a private server just by playing on one of the official-but-unpopulated servers. Most of the time you'll be free to play as Eve without anyone else spawning in. Go to http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report and pick a server with a small population, then manually enter that in the Settings menu, checking the "Use Custom Server" checkbox.

This is a great suggestion! Depending on the popularity of the server chosen, I imagine it could be a good middle ground between baby explosion and being the only person alive on a private server. This might be best for my current needs, tbh.

#20 2018-11-16 21:19:49

Floofy

Starknight_One wrote:
mx_owl wrote:

I personally don't mind a player that eats berries and plant bushes. My issue is when there is berries everywhere but yet they still die of starvation or die to wild animals. Or worst... they live, but simply do nothing other than eat the berries.

#21 2018-11-16 21:41:27

Starknight_One

CrazyEddie wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

As a new player I for one appreciate that sentiment, and to the degree that I'm an experienced player now (I can forage! I can smith! I can farm! I can make stew! I can make roads!) I feel the same way. But I will also note that experienced players (in all games!) tend to expect too much from new players, even when being charitable. They forget how bad they were when they started off, or they're hardcore gamers and learned better and faster than most people ever will.

Guilty. Not of being a 'hardcore gamer' (I mean, I game a lot, but it's not my life), but of learning better and faster than most people ever will. Being born with a nearly eidetic memory does that to you.

mx_owl wrote:

I do this frequently on server 13, when I feel like I've had a few too many toxic experiences in game. (Yes, they bother me sometimes, so I go play by myself until I feel better.) 13 is my 'lucky' number. wink

#22 2018-11-16 22:02:39

Starknight_One

Floofy wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

I personally don't mind a player that eats berries and plant bushes. My issue is when there is berries everywhere but yet they still die of starvation or die to wild animals. Or worst... they live, but simply do nothing other than eat the berries.

Some bush planting is acceptable, but when the berry patch is already 8x8 and they're putting in more... they need to stop. Especially when they expand the berry farm into the kitchen! (Seriously. They planted bushes all around the oven. What?)

Much better to have like 4 4x4 fields, with walkways between, than an 8x8 anyway. It gives you room for tools, soil, and a bucket of water, and is easier for cooks and shepherds to gather berries. But most of them are just going crazy, expanding the farm so they can have 'MOAR BERI!' Meanwhile, there's stew going cold, pies are being nibbled on by sheep, and two kids are using the cabbages as soccer balls. wink

#23 2018-11-17 06:29:13

sarannwrap

I definitely love the idea of new players.  But the server I normally play on between stressful lives is now full of people due to some project designed to avoid new players, so now I can't find my stress-relief self-made town. sad

Board footer