One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-11 20:01:29

Jezra

So many babies

How do people cope with the overwhelming number of babies a female has?

I feel like I don't get time to contribute at all or to raise the kids properly as the spawn so quick one after another!

#2 2018-11-11 20:03:03

Re: So many babies

Jezra wrote:

How do people cope with the overwhelming number of babies a female has?

I feel like I don't get time to contribute at all or to raise the kids properly as the spawn so quick one after another!

you just always do your best you feed and if they have an questions do your best to multitask lol

#3 2018-11-11 20:13:58

MultiLife

Now that there is a lot more players, I can only imagine how crazy it gets. I think some lady had 18 babies in her life when I checked her family tree.
I haven't been a female character after the Steam release, so I haven't had crazy amount of babies, but before that, I had lives where I did abandon babies. There is a line I draw with resources and such, so sometimes I just say "sorry" and leave them. Sometimes someone else raises them, and sometimes they die and respawn in a better place.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-11-11 21:03:55

West

All the new players need to learn, that you cant keep every baby. So many towns die of famine since the release.

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#5 2018-11-11 21:15:39

startafight

a part of the game is knowing when to raise n when to abandon ur kids. even tho the automatic mindset is to raise all ur kids, if u go down that route u will lead very quickly to famine in small camps, and wasted resources n chaos in bigger towns. i normally dont even bother raising kids in cities b/c theyre so likely to be picked up by another female (usually i just name em n drop em in a baby pile).

ofc this isnt very helpful for helping new players learn but u cant teach every single new player, u should try to stick to teaching one player about the specifics of a certain job. if they really wanna learn theyll ask for help. a bit back i had a guy who just followed me around to learn about shepherding n i seldom spoke to him, but he would learn the basics by watching n try it out for himself. when i saw him struggle (not full berry bowl) i gave him a lil help but he figured it out mostly on his own

before the steam launch things had calmed down quite a bit on the new player front n u could afford to be picky about whether or not u raise certain children (i would normally limit myself to 3 in an eve camp - 2 smart girls n 1 boy), but with the steam launch there r probably more new players than experienced ones. ive only played a couple of times since the launch n i gotta say - if ur playing eve keep track of ur girls n generally keep at least 3 around at a time (they usually die off pretty quick). with boys i usually keep around 2 - they dont reproduce so u dont gotta worry about keeping future population booms in mind, but they do take up quite a few resources

when it comes to raising kids i generally plop em on a warm spot n just go do my thing, when they grow hair i tell em where food is (or lead the way if im particularly worried) n leave them to their own devices. u dont gotta feed em too often either - this is a mistake i often see new mothers doing, theyll just repeatedly pick up n feed the kids n waste their own hunger bar n die of starvation (every time u pick up a baby u lose a hunger bar).

so raising the kids isnt really the hard part, its knowing when to keep n when to abandon them that takes a bit of practice. just ignore em till they grow hair n then give em a job to do (if they dont do it w/e theyll prolly die off soon enough anyway). tho i suppose from ur post u prolly wanna keep em all alive... i discourage that heavily. itll take up way too much of ur time and they prolly wont live that long to pay off ur efforts anyways

#6 2018-11-11 22:18:53

Tea

I stopped abandoning kids since the release unless I am an Eve and I don't want to lose my nerves.

Most of my kids are new players and out of twelve kids I pop out, four live until adulthood. So usually I keep them all, knowing that not all of them will survive.

Unless we don't have much food around, I abandon some kids, explaining to them the situation. It's important to tell them that you can't keep them because of food shortage, so newer players can better understand why their mother left them behind.

Unfortunately, not everyone will abandon their kid when food is short. One daughter kept popping out child after child, even triplets once. When telling her that we couldn't keep every child and not to feed the triplets, she ignored my warnings and kept every kid. We didn't even have a proper farm going.

I was once in a little town with eleven (!) little girls, five little boys and three men and I think four to five females. We survived thanks to the great location we were, surrounded by lots of food.

Before the release, I had one simple rule for how many babies I could have. If I live in a settlement with little food and I have two or more other sisters, I would keep only two girls and maybe two boys. If one of my boys or girls would die, the next baby I would have could stay. Most of the times my sisters kept all their kids and didn't pay attention to the food we had.

When you have the feeling that the food will not support all the future kids that you and your sisters will have, don't keep all of your kids. Maybe warn your sisters as well.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2018-11-11 23:04:00

Roblor

MultiLife wrote:

... Sometimes someone else raises them, and sometimes they die and respawn in a better place.

Heaven.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

Board footer