One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-02 23:31:14

Jk Howling

The Coldens and the Wolfe

I was initially Eve Wolfe. I spent the first ten minutes of my life doing what any eve does- looking for a good place to settle. I'd just moved on north from a place that looked promising but fell through, when I started noticing signs of life, Goose eggs, fruiting cacti, rabbits with babies.

I figured it'd just be another dead eve camp. I've found these in the past. This time was different though. I didn't see a camp anywhere, but I found a few corpses. They seemed fresh, but a lot of times things don't decay if nobody's around them, so I didn't think much of it.

Still following the trail of fruiting cacti, I stumbled upon two people.

I started talking to them excitedly, greeting and asking them if they had a camp around, were they part of a town or an eve run, etc. They just stood there. One stood on top of a small stack of iron. The other close by. It didn't take long for me to figure out they were ghosts, glitched to appear alive but actually either dead or simply in a different place.

Disappointed, I moved on, passing by corpses. To my surprise, some of them were very recent- recent enough that I could read the names of them, though I'd never seen them in my life. They were the Colden family. I lost hope of seeing any living members when I passed the Eve's grave, however.

And then I saw an actual person, maybe a minute or two later. They were moving around with a basket in their hand. I quickly ran after and said hello, got her story- she was Tonya, the daughter of Eve Colden. She'd been separated from her mother and fam, while they were searching for a place to make camp.

I informed her of her family's passing, and we set off together to find a decent place to settle into. We eventually picked a small patch of desert, bordering a large swamp and a good sized grassland. Not the greatest of spots, but it'd work- we were running short on time.

We got the basics going pretty quickly. Bowls were fired, soil collected, rabbits caught. I died prematurely, starving in the great grassland while trying to fetch thread for backpacks and bellows. The grassland is startlingly devoid of food, and I misjudged my failing food bar.

I got reborn my next life as the firstborn son of Jamie Colden- Tonya's daughter! I explaiend to her in stilted baby speak, "I w/a/s W/o/l/f/e/!" and she seemed to understand, expressing happiness at the fact. She named me Coyote, and explained that she had survived off carrots, as the berries had yet to grow in.

The berries finally grew in and combined with omelettes, our fam made it through for awhile. Unfortunately, I died at age 23, in almost the exact same spot as the first time- the grassland biome struck again! Fortunately I realized that I was young enough to not have gained a lineage ban yet, so after a few /deaths, I got back there.

This time, I was Ella Colden- Jamie's first grandchild, and a girl at that! She again seemed pleased by my reappearance, explaining the story to her daughter- their mother had worked with Eve Wolfe to found this place, and after I died, I came back as her brother Coyote. Now I was here again!

I made sure to stay closer to camp this time, focusing on the farm, making stew, smithing tools, and raising my kids. My first three children died. When I finally got a girl, I frantically picked her up, trying to explain as quickly as possible- we were an eve camp, we really needed girls, would you please stay?? I did add she could move on if she wanted to, but would greatly appreciate her help.

She was confused, however. She'd been twinning with someone. Where was her twin?? She'd been born alone, for whatever reason. After talking to her twin, she agreed to stick around. And I'm glad she did- after her birth I had three more kids. Two boys, named Hawk and Wolfe, that died young. And a girl, Bear- who lost her way while out of camp, and never made it home with her kids.

I finally died of old age this time, among family. We had sheep now, the first compost was nearing completion, and my daughter- Red, I forgot to name her- had children. I got to name a grandson, who went on to name his nieces and nephews, passing down our family name.

-

A quick shoutout to the Colden fam:

- Tonya Colden: It was a really fun life! I'm sad you died so young, perhaps the spot we picked wasn't the greatest unfortunately. I'm glad we found each other though, and that I could help your family through the generations. It was definitely one of my more exciting eve runs!

- Jamie Colden: You were a very great player, and I'm so happy I got to see you throughout all my lives. I'm also glad you made it to old age. Your daughter died shortly after you did, and I buried you atop the berry bushes. When I finally reached old age, I died beside your grave. I hope we see each other again.

- Red: I'm still so sorry I forgot to name you ;-; It completely slipped my mind. You were a wonderful daughter, and I greatly appreciate you choosing to stay and continue our line. You helped our camp survive, despite the failed twinning, and I'm glad. I hope you and your twin managed to play together afterwards.

I hope the fam makes it far. You guys did great and I'm proud of you all regardless ;w; Thanks for making my lives with you enjoyable!

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer