One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-02 07:13:06

Stormyzabeast

The decay system sucks

It has totally ruined the game for me and apparently many others. Some decay is fine, but whole cities and villages just disappearing?? That's really disappointing.

I miss the game so much but I just can't play it knowing everything I work so hard to build just goes away forever for no damn good reason!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#2 2018-11-02 07:52:56

MultiLife

Re: The decay system sucks

From another thread.

MultiLife wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:
FeverDog wrote:

Keep in mind that, in part, everyone playing is participating in a big art project/gaming experience.  I'm happy to participate for now.

Remember when we were little and we spent an hour on an nes game only to die and have to start all over? All progress was lost? No thanks. This is extremely disappointing...I loved this game so much until this stupid update

I remember and it sucked. But. The difference is that this is a multiplayer game. The goal is not the end of level 10 like it was in these NES games, it's the experiences we get to have with others. Yes, I think it is really dangerous to rely on other players to make up an experience, but Jason said if you want to build stuff (that lasts), go to Minecraft. It's fine if you are a build oriented player and I understand decay sucks if that's the only way you get satisfaction and entertainment.

I enjoy the game for short term goals that also benefit others, and our brief existence in the company of each other. Praising each other and helping each other reach our short term goals is the "thing" for me in this game.

So yeah if you can't find entertainment and satisfaction in the game in the form of 'nothing lasts but the adventure was worth it' then I guess this is not the game for you. I would recommend thinking about trying out playing with a different mindset. Maybe we are onto something?
I also would love "epic buildings" that take generations to make and become stable, but they would stay "forever" through updates.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-02 07:55:32)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-11-02 09:07:04

Dodge

MultiLife wrote:

From another thread.

MultiLife wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:

Remember when we were little and we spent an hour on an nes game only to die and have to start all over? All progress was lost? No thanks. This is extremely disappointing...I loved this game so much until this stupid update

I remember and it sucked. But. The difference is that this is a multiplayer game. The goal is not the end of level 10 like it was in these NES games, it's the experiences we get to have with others. Yes, I think it is really dangerous to rely on other players to make up an experience, but Jason said if you want to build stuff (that lasts), go to Minecraft. It's fine if you are a build oriented player and I understand decay sucks if that's the only way you get satisfaction and entertainment.

I enjoy the game for short term goals that also benefit others, and our brief existence in the company of each other. Praising each other and helping each other reach our short term goals is the "thing" for me in this game.

So yeah if you can't find entertainment and satisfaction in the game in the form of 'nothing lasts but the adventure was worth it' then I guess this is not the game for you. I would recommend thinking about trying out playing with a different mindset. Maybe we are onto something?
I also would love "epic buildings" that take generations to make and become stable, but they would stay "forever" through updates.

Well they wouldnt necessarily stay forever we have apocalypse in the game and right now it's not a usable feature, it could be activated once a month for example, and everything would be erased monthly, but at least we would have stuff that last a month and not two or three days because of the current eve spawn system

But we shouldnt forget that even if the game is in a pretty good place right now it's still sort of in is beginnings at least content wise, there is still a lot that can be added, changed or tweaked and right now the priority is to steam release and jason is understandably focusing is updates around it

#4 2018-11-02 11:42:37

UnnoticedShadow

Personally, given enough time, I think everything should decay, like in real life.  (Maybe not buildings). Especially food, harvested or unharvested.  Food should be something people need to work on constantly, as opposed to one generation working on food and the next five not needing to worry about it at ALL.

#5 2018-11-02 13:04:02

Anshin

MultiLife wrote:

The game did sell itself on the concept of legacy. Much like the reality that reincarnation makes Donkey Town a necessity, overnight population lows wipe out most family lines. That shouldn't be an excuse to say the town wasn't coming along nicely, it's a problem with low player stats. The rate of town decay should be greatly reduced when you consider that the reality is that most normal people play in a preferred time slot once every 24 hours, and that should be a minimum for what's considered normal. Most people are still pretty dedicated players if they play every single day. To say a town has died out shouldn't happen until say a real world week has passed. That would prove that resources have run out and the place has truly been abandoned.

You know you've got the decay balance right when people organically migrate towards new resources, and THEN old places decay. Over time resources should slowly regenerate so that we do one day rediscover it and find overgrown resources and ask ourselves:
"Why would anyone ever want to leave such an amazing place?!"

This means Eve spawn needs to change too. Closer together and revisiting near old sites that are near the decay cut off.
Chances are she'll go in the wrong direction... but every once in a while she'll come across something amazing!

#6 2018-11-02 15:07:02

Stormyzabeast

Yeah ^^^

"Building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you. Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears." -J.R

Well our axes break in 5 seconds and get tossed in a trash pit. Our castles and Eve camps we leave behind are now wiped out. What's the point?? Nothing lasts!  Our children get jack shit so..... The game is broken right now.

Make buildings decay over time if there's no one occupying the area for an amount of time and maintaining it. Make food and baskets, clothing etc decay if they're not used or kept indoors. Don't make whole cities and camps just disappear!

What's the point in even being an Eve? There's no point to any of it this way. Sorry, I know I'm repeating myself. I'm just so upset that this amazing, unique game has now changed so drastically! I just wanna play again sad

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#7 2018-11-02 21:11:32

Ilka

Are cities falling apart?
I did not know it ...
It really sucks.
So far, when I was an orphaned son Eve, often stayed and built a farm.
So that some Eve would find her.
I thought that after some time there would be so many cities and villages on the map that every Eve could easily find a small farm.
And all this was unnecessary? It is sad. sad

#8 2018-11-02 23:38:42

Stormyzabeast

Ilka wrote:

Are cities falling apart?
I did not know it ...
It really sucks.
So far, when I was an orphaned son Eve, often stayed and built a farm.
So that some Eve would find her.
I thought that after some time there would be so many cities and villages on the map that every Eve could easily find a small farm.
And all this was unnecessary? It is sad. sad

Those days are over I'm afraid. And the map is enormous. With the small player base it would be impossible to fill it

#9 2018-11-03 22:15:26

Ilka

So how are we to properly build a civilization?
Cars and robots?
Now it is actually a simulation of the life of very early settlements in the Bronze Age (bronze has been replaced by steel but this is the only difference).
It seems that more this civilization will not develop.

#10 2018-11-04 10:10:53

WalrusesConquer

This was a while ago. Yes stuff decays but it adds value. If no building ever decayed (never mind extra lag) no one would care. It will be taken for granted. Also its not like they decay that quickly (5-10 hrs at the top of my head) sure if no one spawns its gone forever but
Everything. Runs. Out.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#11 2018-11-04 12:13:38

MultiLife

I think ancient walls stay (until server update). And painted clay walls.
I wasn't a player before decay was a thing, but I can understand it was a harsh hit to the players who were used to things staying as they were. But I think relying on things staying in a game that is still developed is not good, quite wishful thinking. I'd say build, experience, socialize, co-operate and take a lot of pictures of your projects to make them last. I think it's good that stuff decays so badly built cities and such disappear, but yeah surely there could be tweaks on how many hours it takes.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer