One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-11-01 09:26:22

MultiLife

Re: Is the drama gone?

Even though I wouldn't oppose the cursed children being born to normal players at low curse levels, it would bring back the interrogation thing. I wouldn't raise a cursed kid no matter what, and I've been immensely enjoying the freedom of not having to stop and wait for an F to pop up from the baby. I'd rather have a visible mark like a faded red C on their face or something.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#52 2018-11-01 10:26:32

Aname

tana wrote:

The danger of a marked cursed player is that ppl might (and did when black speech was a thing) curse them for no other reason than being marked. Back when black speech was on, a player had to have accumulated 10 curses, which was not so easily done and most of the time, cursed players that were given the benefit of the doubt would kill and grief first chance they got, leading us all to the conclusion that it was never worth to keep one cursed baby.

However, i kind of do miss the surprise and following drama around the birth of a cursed child, so i think it should be reintroduced as a first tier step to donkey town, 4 or 5 curses should be enough to trigger black speech, but we would all know that it's not really high enough that we would be facing a real toxic griefer, but we'd have to keep an eye on them anyway.
Because 4 or 5 curses isn't so hard to obtain, we'd know that that player isn't neceraly bad, just that something happened in his previous life, he might have been framed, might have been a misunderstanding, thats why we could give marked players a chance more easily rather than the kill-on-sight policy that we had previously.

Because we all can agree on one thing, the black speech bubble is cool as hell, and i'd like to see it a bit more in the game.

Still think the curses should stay at max 8 4 or 5 is really easy to get even when you dont really grief. And people arent going too raise someone who has black speech bubble so you will get killed forever and it will take forever too not have the black speech bubble again

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#53 2018-11-01 10:47:08

tana

but that is exactly my point there.
For now we're all still more or less traumatised by the previous attemps and we knew any kid with black speech would most likely be a bad seed and thats why we started to kill them on sight.
Now if we know that black speech is a bit easily obtained, we truly have a reason to give the player the benefit of the doubt.
I myself most probably already reached the 4 or 5 curses a couple of times due to misunderstanding, framing etc. even though I know (and a lot of other players know it too) that i'm not a griefer.
It would add some welcome drama, the cursed player will know that he will be scrutinised and it could be real fun. And it would still be a pre-warning in case we encounter a real toxic griefer who will be sent to donkey town very quick anyway.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#54 2018-11-01 11:11:18

Aname

tana wrote:

but that is exactly my point there.
For now we're all still more or less traumatised by the previous attemps and we knew any kid with black speech would most likely be a bad seed and thats why we started to kill them on sight.
Now if we know that black speech is a bit easily obtained, we truly have a reason to give the player the benefit of the doubt.
I myself most probably already reached the 4 or 5 curses a couple of times due to misunderstanding, framing etc. even though I know (and a lot of other players know it too) that i'm not a griefer.
It would add some welcome drama, the cursed player will know that he will be scrutinised and it could be real fun. And it would still be a pre-warning in case we encounter a real toxic griefer who will be sent to donkey town very quick anyway.

Meh i still think that many players will let the baby with the black speech bubble die. And they can easily not say anything so the mom wont know if its a cursed baby or not. And still i think you should just be sent too donkeytown or be an eve on server 1 until ur time is done so you can still get kids. And make a camp for them. Maybe if you die of old age you can only spawn back in your own village that you created?

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#55 2018-11-01 11:27:17

tana

Aname wrote:

Meh i still think that many players will let the baby with the black speech bubble die.

i doubt it seeing how a lot of players let the cursed baby live on the first implementation of it.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#56 2018-11-01 13:50:32

VioletLily

tana wrote:

Because we all can agree on one thing, the black speech bubble is cool as hell, and i'd like to see it a bit more in the game.

This is exactly why I would rather not see the black speech bubble return. I don't think people should be rewarded for bad behavior. That text box actually encouraged griefing.

#57 2018-11-01 16:46:33

pein

just send the replay file to the server, 10 random people can watch it and judge if the person deserves a token or someone else deserves it, even that would be more just
the goal of the game should be crafting and keeping the family alive
now you can kill off people with no arrows, just feed all berry to the sheep and 75% of the city dies
we could argue that without a select few players not a single camp would have compost and would never become a city

some people just leach on others every single game and they don't care about others, they got time to make up shit and they will frame others who feed them, a bunch of disgraceful hypocrites
there is no skill, no cost, no witness, no justice
generally curses require a sacrifice on your part
how many of you would curse others if it would also curse you?
how many of you would curse back if you would get the curse token every time you are cursed?
how many of the framers would be cursed if cursed people would generate faster curse tokens?
a lot of people annoy me, why cant i curse everyone? i mean if 3 people curse you based on something i didn't do, why cant be revoked?

i see people walk around asking to curse someone for 40 minutes
now who is the bigger asshole?

cursed people should be educated, mediated, reconnected with others
spend a life with the one you cursed , either ban or forgive
when is just punishment and no way back people will stop to care

if someone kills someone else you are entitled to kill him', not entitled  to curse him without knowing facts
as i see 90% of you thinks that you are a nice player always, your acts doesn't annoy anyone, and you are making justice
and you would lose your head if you would been the one cursed
bunch of kids to run to momma when something happens and bunch of old ladies who stir shit cause their life is boring

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#58 2018-11-04 17:29:27

Kinrany

I suggest something like the Mafia/Werewolf games where some people are randomly assigned to be antagonists.

Make it impossible to distinguish between the real griefers and the antagonists who want to bring the village down for in-game reasons.

Then design around that, and the griefer problem will just vanish.

It almost works in space station 13, except they don't have to solve it completely because they have both bombs that can blow up the whole server, and admins that can ban people before the red button is pressed.

#59 2018-11-05 05:00:28

FeverDog

Kinrany wrote:

I suggest something like the Mafia/Werewolf games where some people are randomly assigned to be antagonists.

Make it impossible to distinguish between the real griefers and the antagonists who want to bring the village down for in-game reasons.

It almost works in space station 13, except they don't have to solve it completely because they have both bombs that can blow up the whole server, and admins that can ban people before the red button is pressed.

I disagree.  It is relatively much easier to bring a functioning town down than it is to keep it going.  Stealing pies is way easier than making them.  That's a broken aspect of this game.  It takes very little effort with very little risk (IRL: getting caught, fines, jail time) to ruin things but a great deal of effort to keep things going.

#60 2018-11-05 05:02:09

VioletLily

FeverDog wrote:
Kinrany wrote:

I disagree.  It is relatively much easier to bring a functioning town down than it is to keep it going.  Stealing pies is way easier than making them.  That's a broken aspect of this game.  It takes very little effort with very little risk (IRL: getting caught, fines, jail time) to ruin things but a great deal of effort to keep things going.

I disagree with the designated griefer idea as well. I don't think it will fit well in this game.

#61 2018-11-05 12:57:46

Kinrany

FeverDog wrote:

Right, the griefing problem won't solve itself.  But it's a big and hairy problem that is hard to define.  On the contrary, antagonists being too powerful is a mere balancing problem.  Harder than in other games since it's less clear how to make antagonists less powerful, but exactly as hard and way simpler than griefing.

#62 2018-11-05 13:32:05

Kinrany

VioletLily wrote:

I don't think it will fit well in this game.

Actually I think it fits very well.  The game is about people cooperating to solve problems.  Dealing with griefers, criminals and spies is exactly that.

#63 2018-11-05 16:51:53

xclame

The issue in my opinion is that it's way easier to grief than it is to be productive.

For example the old fence system, to make a fence you had to: find straight branches, make them into long shaft, use a adze, get a stake, stake the ground, find a shovel, dig the stake and finally put in the fence. (This is skipping all the small steps needed to do all the things, like creating the tools.)
What does it take to grief the pen? Just click on the fence, done all sheep escaped.
Okay you fixed this, let's take at something else that is still in the game.

Medic system. So you want to prepare for when someone gets stabbed, here's what you gotta do:Shear sheep, find a bowl, fill it water, put it on coals, put balls of yarn in it and then put it in a bowl.
Now if you want to grief that what do you have to do? Grab the pads and dump them on the ground, that's it, now go stab someone and watch people freak out that someone dumped all the pads.
Seriously? Why can't the medic apron carry sterile pads in the pocket for example?

There's tons of things in this game like this, sure in general in every game it's easier to grief than to do something productive, but how OHOL is right now the balance is just way too far on the side of griefers.

#64 2018-11-05 16:57:23

Potjeh

If I wanted PvP I'd play Rust. OHOL is one of the rare decent coop games these days, don't change that.

#65 2018-11-05 17:24:24

VioletLily

Kinrany wrote:
VioletLily wrote:

I don't think it will fit well in this game.

Actually I think it fits very well.  The game is about people cooperating to solve problems.  Dealing with griefers, criminals and spies is exactly that.

I would find it odd to be born with a predestined role. The role you play in the community has always been something you decide as you grow.

It would be like being born with the message: "Your job this life is composting", or "You are a trapper"

I don't want to be told what to do with my one hour life. I want to take my family, the village, and surrounding area into account and decide for myself.

The only exception is if others in the community give me a role, but this is based on their experience in the village. It is not some undisputable message from a higher power.

Again, I don't really think it fits in this game.

#66 2018-11-05 20:30:51

pein

im the polite killer, i just put the pads in a bowl behind a tree/corner

i always said griefer only does the job if it spends less time ruining than you making it
now roses, graves and chests hurt so much when are destroyed

actually i was killed on cooldown (i killed a son who wanted lineage ban) by a bitch who was barely 12 and i killed her griefer mom
so i griefed that town bad cause i born back almost right away, first time i could try out destroying a box, was kinda funny see the stuff fly and i still had my axe to cut out most trees

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#67 2018-11-06 02:24:47

Auner

Haven't been here since the summer pretty much- sup everyone?

Basically- if you want drama and avoid griefing- why not mess around with some hierarchy and social stratification issues? Like honestly at this point there could be just a baby born randomly with a crown on it's head and let the drama unfooold.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#68 2018-11-06 12:09:51

Tramax

Auner wrote:

Like honestly at this point there could be just a baby born randomly with a crown on it's head and let the drama unfooold.

But nobody recognizes much authority from other players with crowns unless they say things along the line of, "Hey do you mind..."
I did that one life once my diligent work was commended by a few of the elders and I was awarded the crown. Only because I didn't try throwing my weight around did people rally.
As soon as people get entitled, nobody cares.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-11-06 12:10:50)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#69 2018-11-10 18:27:57

Kinrany

VioletLily wrote:

I would find it odd to be born with a predestined role. The role you play in the community has always been something you decide as you grow.

It would be like being born with the message: "Your job this life is composting", or "You are a trapper"

I don't want to be told what to do with my one hour life. I want to take my family, the village, and surrounding area into account and decide for myself.

The only exception is if others in the community give me a role, but this is based on their experience in the village. It is not some undisputable message from a higher power.

This problem can be easily solved by having a "I don't want to be randomly assigned to be an antagonist" checkbox.

(And it wouldn't make sense for the community to give someone a role that directly harms the community.)

#70 2018-11-10 18:57:42

AmyJ

Kinrany wrote:
VioletLily wrote:

This problem can be easily solved by having a "I don't want to be randomly assigned to be an antagonist" checkbox.

(And it wouldn't make sense for the community to give someone a role that directly harms the community.)

It might also be a good idea to make the option to have an assigned role become available only after a certain number hours of having played the game (100 for example). These players generally know what they're doing by this point and are familiar with the various roles. Having one assigned to them might make things a bit less stale.

#71 2018-12-04 22:41:47

CrazyEddie

Bringing this old thread back up because it was just mentioned in another thread today.

i want to add my voice to the many others in this thread saying "No, Jason, we don't want griefers and don't need the 'drama' that they cause." I don't want OHOL to be a competitive game. I especially don't want to be competing against players whose goal is not "try to destroy the town" but rather "try to ruin people's fun".

And let's be clear. Griefers are not playing within the game's paradigm. If Jason designated an "antagonist" role:

• The designated players, if they were griefers, would not be "antagonists", trying to improve the other players' experiences by acting as an opposition for them to struggle against; they would simply take it as a license to be as disruptive as possible to everyone else's activities without regard to anyone else's desires or gameplay experience

• The griefers, if they were not the designated players, would not refrain from their griefing ways, they would simply continue being disruptive even without the implied license to do so.

Griefers are not the noble opposition. They are not the devil's advocate. They are not the actor hired to play the bad guy in a movie. They are not the game-master's buddy who he brings in to play the traitor within the PC's party.

Griefers are there to ruin everyone else's fun, period. That's how they get their fun. They're simply hooligans. They're not playing the black pieces against your white in chess; they're the kids who steal the king while your back is turned and then laugh at you when you try to figure out where the king went.

If I could do it, I would ban them. In my book, they aren't welcome and don't deserve to play. Donkey Town is an excellent idea and a brilliant solution by Jason, because it's a soft ban that allows for forgiveness of mistakes (whether by the cursed player or the cursing players) if the player is sufficiently motivated to continue playing the game. It's better than an outright ban - but in principle, in my opinion, griefers deserve to be banned, rather than accepted as a part of the game design because the game would be boring without them.

The game is not boring without them; the game is not interesting with them. There's no challenge in dealing with griefers. The stupid ones (most of them) get killed and cursed - that's not a challenge, it's just an annoyance. Dealing with such a griefer takes time away from the enjoyable tasks of the game, and if you happen to be one of the ones they've targeted, welp, there goes those thirty minutes of your life (your real life - that was thirty minutes spent working on something that's now lost to you, and you'll never get that time back).

And the ones that aren't stupid aren't challenging to deal with either, because there is no dealing with them. Anyone who truly puts their mind to it and wants to just kill a town has a dozen unstoppable ways to do it and will not get caught. It's a mildly entertaining challenge for them, but just a hopelessly ensured disaster for the rest of us.

Please don't legitimize the things they do.

#72 2018-12-04 22:56:33

Floofy

jasonrohrer wrote:

Okay, these changes are in.

When your lifetime total is at or above these values, you serve these number of hours:

$lifetimeThresholds = array(   0, 15, 25, 55, 65, 75 );
$hoursToServe =       array( 0.5,  1,  2,  3,  4,  5 );

And you serve these hours whenever your curse score goes to 8 or higher.

After serving your hours, your curse score goes back down to 7.

After that, you burn one curse point every hour that you play.

So you can see that the repeat offender, who keeps bothering people as a way of life, will eventually serve 5 hours every time they bother people.  A brand new player who tries something once will spend a half hour in Donkey Town.

Dumb question but, what does "$lifetimeThresholds" means exactly? Is that your total playtime? or total curses received?

#73 2018-12-04 23:20:25

CrazyEddie

Total curses received.

#74 2018-12-05 00:33:43

wolfgang

Tramax wrote:
Auner wrote:

Like honestly at this point there could be just a baby born randomly with a crown on it's head and let the drama unfooold.

But nobody recognizes much authority from other players with crowns unless they say things along the line of, "Hey do you mind..."
I did that one life once my diligent work was commended by a few of the elders and I was awarded the crown. Only because I didn't try throwing my weight around did people rally.
As soon as people get entitled, nobody cares.

Every life that I have seen someone with a crown, there always ended up being some interesting RP. Not always from the person wearing it when im born, but sometime during the life at least. In one town I was born twin females with my friend and an old lady gave him a gold crown as a child before she died. When he grew up, he declared himself queen and began trying to instruct new children that were born on what to do when they grow up and such. As he had children, he told each one that they could be ruler one day if they outlive him and are better than their siblings. He had something like 6 or 7 children, all boys except 1. Some of the children RPd as royalty well and made for some fun interactions. As time went on the oldest sibling took his mother off to the side and asked for permission to do what needed to be done, and after being granted permission, proceeded to kill off the members of the previous royal bloodline as most of them seemed to be griefers.

During this witch hunt, the queen was killed by a misplaced arrow and died in a field in town. She had not yet chosen an heir, and all of the siblings had been present for the hunt. A bloodbath ensued. The brothers all killed each other until only one remained, and as he put on the crown and began to speak his sister casually walked up and stabbed him as well, before being killed by a small child who had picked up a knife who wanted to end the battle once and for all. Me being near death due to old age at this point, I searched far and wide for a member of the royal bloodline, but alas they were all dead and I was the last. I gave the crown to the child who killed the princess, as she had earned the right, and promptly died on the spot after telling her to continue our rule.

------------------------------------

Ive had a couple other very fun interactions involving crowns, but its always exciting when I am born and see someone with a crown somewhere.

#75 2018-12-05 04:47:49

conesq

The biggest issue with Trolls/Griefers is that they can be so common at times it is discouraging people from staying logged in and playing. "Do I really want to play OHOL with trolls again" comes into my mind now.

I have periods where I never see murders/trolls/griefers, but I've just had 4 or 5 games in a row where they have been active. Yet after you (and others) have spent your curse, what can you do? nothing.

One town had 3 or 4 tolls trying to murder every girl/mum and succeeded.

Another one was taking all the buckets/ability to make buckets so farms would die.

1 or 2 trolls can easily stop the progression of a lot of towns.

Board footer