One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-27 03:18:28

Tarr
Banned

Mangoes are good but

I feel like they're going to share the same fate as late game eggs. They just sort of sit around until someone decides they want to do something with them. I ended up growing three dozen trees when the update went live and it just seems like I had too much food (okay maybe thirty six trees is a little much for the current games population).

If mangoes were harvest properly and efficiently my orchard was producing 5184 pips per hour which is about twenty three crocks of stew per hour. Obviously I'm not calling for a nerf as I feel like mangoes are just going to be left on the trees or littered around the trees like they were in my own personal experience.

I think even having only a dozen or so mango trees would be a great supplement to a towns food supply without completely dominating what people end up eating. Let it be known that mangoes are a pretty good food source and that you can probably have too many mango trees.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-10-27 03:27:37

sarannwrap

Re: Mangoes are good but

I agree.  But hey, can't argue with longer yum bonuses smile

Btw Rush Tarr killed my sis and wrecked our line yesterday.  Right after she bragged about starting a sister town and I said we needed more females first to populate it...?  Stabbed me shortly after, right after I asked who tf killed my sis.  She thought she was so cool and I made sure to let her know how amazing she was for killing a total of two distracted players.

Not sure if you remember but I said "Hi Tarr" to you at one point. tongue

#3 2018-10-27 03:31:33

Azrael

Yeah, mangos aren't a late game food source.

A pie or burritos or anything that takes more effort is usually considered, mainly because I think people enjoy doing the work to create pies and cook the mutton and kill the sheep, to just take from a tree is a little lame.

Mainly though, I believe it's not profitable unless there is something like "Mango pie" or "Mango salad" those late game items would require more work and it would replenish more bars.

Even though the food level of mangos is 7 (according to onetech) it's not much of an incentive to do this, considering it takes plates and is less food per plate than a pie which has four uses.
A mutton pie gives you a food rating of 13, also I don't believe mango slices on a plate can go into your bag (needs confirmation).

Overall, it's good early on, but later on it does become like eggs, where it is a good source, but not as useful and convenient as a pie, and definitely with one tree there are limits to when you can actually harvest the tree, so maybe in the future they will become part of a greater recipe.

Regards, Azrael (wheeler)

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#4 2018-10-27 08:14:59

gabal

I like the fact that now you have another easy food source for yum bonus. It looks like a slightly advanced version of cactus fruit.

#5 2018-10-27 08:33:11

voy178

Did people want fruit trees? It's not so bad. Decore, and another low effort job you can do to help the village in the long run. It's just a shame you can't eat the mangos right as they are without a knife.

#6 2018-10-27 12:44:29

Starknight_One

voy178 wrote:

Did people want fruit trees? It's not so bad. Decore, and another low effort job you can do to help the village in the long run. It's just a shame you can't eat the mangos right as they are without a knife.

Eating the skin is a bad idea; it contains urushiol, the toxin in poison ivy that causes you to itch and blister. Can you imagine having poison ivy on the inside of your throat? At the very least, a sharp stone or flint chip should be needed to remove the skin; it's nearly impossible to peel by hand. (I use a potato peeler when I'm working with mango in my baking.) Trying to eat a mango without processing it first is a messy, time-consuming job.

#7 2018-10-27 12:56:53

voy178

Starknight_One wrote:
voy178 wrote:

Eating the skin is a bad idea; it contains urushiol, the toxin in poison ivy that causes you to itch and blister. Can you imagine having poison ivy on the inside of your throat? At the very least, a sharp stone or flint chip should be needed to remove the skin; it's nearly impossible to peel by hand. (I use a potato peeler when I'm working with mango in my baking.) Trying to eat a mango without processing it first is a messy, time-consuming job.

Fair enough, I'm no mango expert. However, maybe a flint chip would suffice to cut it open?

#8 2018-10-27 14:12:25

Tarr
Banned

I personally would be fine with flint chips or sharp rocks being used for mangoes. I feel like a knife ends up being overkill because it stops regular people from eating mangoes (unless you are carrying a knife) and mango slicer isn't exactly a town job. Unless your mango orchard is near the bakery I just don't think you'll be having anyone around to serve and slice the towns mangoes.

Jason basically gave us limitless food but it just doesn't feel good to eat mangoes in the current state. I think mangoes just fall into the same place milk does currently: it makes the game too easy without improving the quality of the game. I'll probably still grow mango trees in town for other people but I'm not going to plant three dozen at a time again.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-10-27 14:16:26

Anshin

Yes a flint chip would totally cut open a properly ripe mango, then you eat it with your hands.
Much like an avocado when it is properly ripe you can peel it with your hands.
You would just score the skin with the flint first. It is supposed to be soft and dripping juicy. Mmmmmmm... Yum!

Depending on who you ask, you wouldn't even need the flint!
how-to-eat-a-mango-jamaican-style

#10 2018-10-27 17:21:59

Carrot-Seedling

We need mango pies! If mangoes are that easy to eat, they do deserve a harder recipe.

Mango cakes! We need sugar of course, but perhaps mango dust would do... And mush in a mango... And add some milk and bake in a bowl and turn onto a plate! Cake! tongue

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#11 2018-10-27 20:38:46

Randomname

Mango Salsa, mango chutney on flat bread, mango chicken (goose I guess).

Still haven't seen one in game yet.

#12 2018-10-29 04:54:40

Booklat1

Jason has said he'll fix the infinite food part of it, I just hope it takes something other than compost.
Maybe fertilizer?

#13 2018-10-29 07:51:02

FeverDog

You can peel a mango with your teeth.  It isn't that difficult.  My beef is that the mangoes have a red tint to them when everyone knows the best mango variety is Fazli which is only green in color. 

Green mango (less ripe) salad is also a thing.

#14 2018-10-29 09:46:08

Tarr
Banned

Booklat1 wrote:

Jason has said he'll fix the infinite food part of it, I just hope it takes something other than compost.
Maybe fertilizer?

I was going to ask why add another step but apparently after looking at food stats people actually are eating a lot of mangoes. The thing is I don't know if they're eating them because they're everywhere, they're unlimited, or they like eating mangoes since they're new.

Going to keep an eye on how many mangoes are eaten in the next few days I know it hit a really low number last hour (1) but it's one of the most eaten foods for yesterday.

fug it’s Tarr.

#15 2018-10-29 16:08:16

Booklat1

Tarr wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

Maybe fertilizer?

I was going to ask why add another step but apparently after looking at food stats people actually are eating a lot of mangoes. The thing is I don't know if they're eating them because they're everywhere, they're unlimited, or they like eating mangoes since they're new.

Going to keep an eye on how many mangoes are eaten in the next few days I know it hit a really low number last hour (1) but it's one of the most eaten foods for yesterday.

It's easier to eat than it is to get milk, I think. Having to gather buckets was always a hassle and mangos only take knife being used once, unlike bread. I think this is a neat food. If it took some limestone to fertilize it that would feel great. Also, with lots of lime being gathered there is a push for plaster walls.

edit: mango slicer might not be a job, but farmer is. Just gotta haul those mangos to the bakery and someone will have them cut.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-10-29 16:09:48)

Board footer