One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-26 21:37:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,221

Update: Plaster and Paint

tVzPd9K.gif

Plaster is cheap, but pigments are a bit harder to come by.  Except for yellow.  That one is easy, but oh so cruel.  Outlawed in 1908, in fact.  Have you ever noticed that mangoes make your mouth itch a little bit?  Now imagine being force-fed the leaves!

And yes, I suspect that I'm one of the only game designers in the world who, upon deciding to add wall paints to my game, realized that I would also need to add mango trees.  That leads me to ask:  where would this game be without Wikipedia?  There's an information rabbit hole lurking around every corner.

Steam integration seems to be up and running smoothly.  When this update went out, the Steam client fetched and installed it (with a bit of automated goading on my part).  The plan is to get one more content update out the door next week before Steam launch week.  I also have a nice fat queue of GitHub bug reports to go through.  Thank you, and keep 'em coming, folks.

Offline

#2 2018-10-26 21:47:52

Aurora Aurora
Member
From: Tuppsala (HAHA FATTAR NI!?!?!)
Registered: 2018-04-09
Posts: 679

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! PAINT!!!!


A fandom isn’t a fandom without an obnoxious teenage girl people want to strangle <3

Offline

#3 2018-10-26 22:33:34

Potjeh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-08
Posts: 281

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Nice update, but why oh why do we poison cows instead of slaughtering them? Not only is it a missed opportunity for beef, but it makes griefing cows trivially easy.

Offline

#4 2018-10-27 06:22:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 1,221

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.

Offline

#5 2018-10-27 07:15:19

MeIsZ
Member
From: Mapleland
Registered: 2018-08-30
Posts: 37

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

nice


If you're bored, check out this site poliwager.net. It's kinda like a online pokemon ranch simulator. The creator of Siivagunner is a co-owner of the site! big_smile

Offline

#6 2018-10-27 07:47:44

BladeWoods
Member
Registered: 2018-08-11
Posts: 16

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

I have a hard time understanding how you can get yellow paint from the urine of mango poisoned cows, and I don't know how I feel about that.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2018-10-27 09:31:12)

Offline

#7 2018-10-27 09:32:44

Potjeh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-08
Posts: 281

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.

What do you think happens to the male calves of milk cows?

Offline

#8 2018-10-27 09:57:52

Chard
Moderator
Registered: 2018-03-04
Posts: 42

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Potjeh wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.

What do you think happens to the male calves of milk cows?

The mama cow is like "NO BOYS"?

Offline

#9 2018-10-27 10:03:37

Potjeh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-08
Posts: 281

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

More like farmer, but yeah. Except they fatten them up before stabbing.

Anyway, mangoes are OP. They should have a limited lifespan IMO, like 5-10 harvests.

Offline

#10 2018-10-27 10:06:53

voy178
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2018-08-18
Posts: 65

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Potjeh wrote:

More like farmer, but yeah. Except they fatten them up before stabbing.

Anyway, mangoes are OP. They should have a limited lifespan IMO, like 5-10 harvests.

I think the word you're looking for is sustainable. Or do you mean to say I should scold my fruit trees in my backyard for producing multiple harvests?

Offline

#11 2018-10-27 11:11:26

Potjeh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-08
Posts: 281

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Those trees in your backyard won't last more than three or four generations.

Offline

#12 2018-10-27 12:40:21

tana
Member
Registered: 2018-06-04
Posts: 178

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Potjeh wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.

What do you think happens to the male calves of milk cows?

furthermore, what do you think happens to the milkcow itself when she's no good for milk anymore ?


I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

Offline

#13 2018-10-27 13:23:54

xclame
Member
Registered: 2018-10-09
Posts: 26

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.


If that is the reason, then give us the ability to raise Beef Cows. Bowl of Corn Kernels+Cow= Milk Cow. Bowl of Grass+Cow= Beef Cow.
Maybe make it so you have to feed the cow three times, once every 5 minutes in order to get a beef cow and we could use crushed wheat (Wheat+Round Rock= Crushed wheat, Crushed wheat+bowl= bowl of crushed wheat), so you don't have to add a whole new other item to the game.

Offline

#14 2018-10-27 14:31:12

Baker
Member
Registered: 2018-03-06
Posts: 298

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

xclame wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.


If that is the reason, then give us the ability to raise Beef Cows. Bowl of Corn Kernels+Cow= Milk Cow. Bowl of Grass+Cow= Beef Cow.
Maybe make it so you have to feed the cow three times, once every 5 minutes in order to get a beef cow and we could use crushed wheat (Wheat+Round Rock= Crushed wheat, Crushed wheat+bowl= bowl of crushed wheat), so you don't have to add a whole new other item to the game.

Yeah, We have been asking for Beef for ages now. Ever since cows were first released. Also Leather. Wonder how many people asked for paint?


"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"  -Alice, My great Grandmother's famous last words.

Offline

#15 2018-10-27 14:35:46

Tarr
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 423

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Potjeh wrote:

More like farmer, but yeah. Except they fatten them up before stabbing.

Anyway, mangoes are OP. They should have a limited lifespan IMO, like 5-10 harvests.

I mean I think they're fine. If you personally want to spend your hour slicing mangoes to feed to people you're more than welcome. However, you'll find it's not a very fun job when you're producing a ludicrous amount of mangoes.


I'm the Eve that shows up in your town randomly and starts dropping off children.

If you see me in game don't be afraid to say hi Tarr. I'm more than happy to teach you a few things if I'm not busy.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3070 - The history of teleporters and their uses.

Online

#16 2018-10-27 15:27:21

Potjeh
Member
Registered: 2018-03-08
Posts: 281

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Also, is it intentional that plaster walls don't decay? I think it's a good thing because it makes the walls actually useful.

Offline

#17 2018-10-27 17:07:57

PeaGirl
Member
From: Finland, Oulu
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 208

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Are there plaster stone walls too?


If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Online

#18 2018-10-27 19:01:05

Kinrany
Member
Registered: 2018-01-22
Posts: 185

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Are plaster walls relatively easy to build and tear down?

Offline

#19 2018-10-27 19:46:47

Tarr
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 423

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Kinrany wrote:

Are plaster walls relatively easy to build and tear down?

It's just adobe wall + plaster. You can tear them down by removing the plaster with a chisel then normal adobe wall removal.

PeaGirl wrote:

Are there plaster stone walls too?

Only adobe plastered walls.

Potjeh wrote:

Also, is it intentional that plaster walls don't decay? I think it's a good thing because it makes the walls actually useful.

I'm sure he did it on purpose. If you want to remove the walls you just chisel them and do like you would a normal adobe wall.


I'm the Eve that shows up in your town randomly and starts dropping off children.

If you see me in game don't be afraid to say hi Tarr. I'm more than happy to teach you a few things if I'm not busy.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3070 - The history of teleporters and their uses.

Online

#20 2018-10-29 02:40:14

Redram
Member
Registered: 2018-08-16
Posts: 30

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

jasonrohrer wrote:

Have you ever noticed that mangoes make your mouth itch a little bit?  Now imagine being force-fed the leaves!

I gather there is an 'urushiol poisoned cow' in the game?   Check around the web a bit; urushiol is only harmful to humans.   To the best of my understanding literally no other animal (besides humans) on the planet is affected by it, and certainly not cows.   The Indian Yellow practice was cruel because the cows were malnourished, not because the mango leaves contained urushiol.

Last edited by Redram (2018-10-29 02:40:26)

Offline

#21 2018-10-29 10:54:33

Tramax
Member
Registered: 2018-06-30
Posts: 60

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

jasonrohrer wrote:

They are MILK COWS.  No beef.

Bit of a double standard there...
Sheep are WOOL SHEEP but you can kill them for mutton.
Just like how in real life, you can kill cows as well as bulls for beef.
In fact having the freedom of "accidentally" killing all the sheep in your town is a feature, so why not make the same thing be possible in OHOL?


#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
...
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Offline

#22 2018-10-31 01:30:22

Firepoppy5
Member
Registered: 2018-10-31
Posts: 1

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

how long has sudden infant death been a thing in this game?
I had two babies in a row die in my arms.

Offline

#23 2018-10-31 12:33:59

Aname
Member
Registered: 2018-03-16
Posts: 364

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Firepoppy5 wrote:

how long has sudden infant death been a thing in this game?
I had two babies in a row die in my arms.

Its just came out yesterday. if you say /die you get sudden infant death.


Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1273262

Offline

#24 2018-11-04 19:20:19

Lily
Member
Registered: 2018-03-29
Posts: 327

Re: Update: Plaster and Paint

Oh wait, jasonrohrer! You just did the update for fishing and stuff that lets you get variable results from items. So while before a cow needed to have female cow babies, after your update it is possible to have a 50/50 chance of having a male or female cow. Which means, you can start having male beef cows and female milk cows coming from a single animal. Take advantage of that new code.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB