One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-21 01:44:12

Starknight_One

The problem of boys

Kato boys, it's not that you're not wanted... it's just that until I have an heir and a spare, I don't have the resources to allow a boy to grow up. Especially when I'm the child of an Eve who died early.

I hope you all keep up the farm properly. There's much soil to the east, but getting the composting cycle working is important too. In the meantime, you can use the wheat to make baskets - you always need those - and pies. And don't forget to gather stones for a well!

So you'll need sheep. I started on arrows and a bow, but... too much to do, too little time. Maybe my efforts will help people grow a village there. But watch out for snakes, wolves, and boars.

Mother, I hope I was strong enough.

Last edited by Starknight_One (2018-10-21 01:45:58)

#2 2018-10-21 03:59:02

Jk Howling

Re: The problem of boys

Except keeping a boy might've helped you, y'know. Like you said, too much to do, too little time. Having an extra pair of hands that can range out of camp for supplies rather than having to stay close or being stuck on a timer to feed babies is an advantage many people overlook.

Experience should be more important than gender in most scenarios, especially eve runs, in my opinion. My best runs have gotten up to gen 30 through this, rather than solely going for girls and abandoning all boys.

As long as you've got a good spot, you should have plenty of food to be able to raise at least 3-4 children, if not more. If you don't, then perhaps there's an issue with the location you picked- most often it's due to not camping on or near a desert.

Being warm cuts down your food consumption a ton. You also need enough local wild foods to sustain you and several children before the berry bushes grow in. The best cases I've had of this have been places with a lot of goose ponds- the more, the better. Omelettes are the best early food in the game and almost always will fill your entire hunger bar, regardless of age.

In the end, its mostly opinion based. I hate that people seem to have adopted this "reee abandon all boys only keep girls" mentality when in full honesty, gender shouldn't be that relevant in an eve run. Location and experience is much more important than the gender of your children, I think. A bad spot and inexperienced babies can ruin your run much faster than keeping a couple boys will.

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-21 05:16:43

indigo_x
Sleeping User

I was born as one of your decedents today - Adolfo Kato  (I can't post links yet - maybe someone else can?)
We had stew and pies, plenty of tools, and a couple of deep wells. Weiland Kato and I were hunting sheep when I starved. We found a dead sheep with a bow and arrow next to it, so possibly someone had beat us to it. I really wish I could carry on watching my village after I've died - would be nice to know if they got sheep.

#4 2018-10-21 05:30:00

VioletLily

Jk Howling wrote:

Experience should be more important than gender in most scenarios, especially eve runs, in my opinion. My best runs have gotten up to gen 30 through this, rather than solely going for girls and abandoning all boys.

The longest line I had as an eve started with two very good sons and a daughter who was content with spending her whole life on a nice temp spot raising babies. I spent my whole life ensuring a constant food source for my daughter and grandkids, nothing else. My two awesome sons took care of the rest. It was one of the most efficient eve runs I have ever had. This, plus the good location, ensured the continuation of my line.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1054586

So I would have to agree. As long as you have at least one girl to ensure the continuation of the line, I would take skill over gender any day.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-21 05:30:57)

#5 2018-10-21 05:38:56

happynova

indigo_x wrote:

I really wish I could carry on watching my village after I've died - would be nice to know if they got sheep.

We did get sheep!  Actually, I think we got sheep twice.  Sort of.  I was asked to go hunt one to bring back to the pen, so I went up to the pen to check it out first, only to realize there was a domestic mouflon roaming around right outside it having lambs.  It must have been in the pen, but one of the corners wasn't secure.  So I roped a lamb and brought it back, and fixed the pen.  As I told the guy who asked me to get the lamb, that was the easiest sheep hunt I've ever been on!  Too bad I didn't have as easy a time hunting the bear who killed my mom and sister.  Sigh.  One misclick and you're bear chow...

#6 2018-10-21 07:06:12

sarannwrap

indigo_x wrote:

I was born as one of your decedents today - Adolfo Kato  (I can't post links yet - maybe someone else can?)
We had stew and pies, plenty of tools, and a couple of deep wells. Weiland Kato and I were hunting sheep when I starved. We found a dead sheep with a bow and arrow next to it, so possibly someone had beat us to it. I really wish I could carry on watching my village after I've died - would be nice to know if they got sheep.

Yes!  I found the sheep and brought it back!  By the time I died I also made shears, two knives, and had sheared six so someone could start on an apron (or better yet pads to combat the dumb bear). Yes unfortunately I forgot where the bow and arrow were because I was focused on the sheep, and we had a dramatic bear fiasco.

Last edited by sarannwrap (2018-10-21 07:24:05)

#7 2018-10-21 07:07:31

sarannwrap

happynova wrote:
indigo_x wrote:

I really wish I could carry on watching my village after I've died - would be nice to know if they got sheep.

We did get sheep!  Actually, I think we got sheep twice.  Sort of.  I was asked to go hunt one to bring back to the pen, so I went up to the pen to check it out first, only to realize there was a domestic mouflon roaming around right outside it having lambs.  It must have been in the pen, but one of the corners wasn't secure.  So I roped a lamb and brought it back, and fixed the pen.  As I told the guy who asked me to get the lamb, that was the easiest sheep hunt I've ever been on!  Too bad I didn't have as easy a time hunting the bear who killed my mom and sister.  Sigh.  One misclick and you're bear chow...

Oh no, I didn't notice that!  By the time I looked again though, there were six sheep, so good on ya!
Also I was the old dude (Jonny Kato) shouting "Nooooooo" as you died. XD
The girl with the crown took the bow, not sure what happened with that.

Last edited by sarannwrap (2018-10-21 07:22:04)

#8 2018-10-21 07:29:51

happynova

sarannwrap wrote:

Oh no, I didn't notice that!  By the time I looked again though, there were six sheep, so good on ya!

Yeah, it was all good!

I remember you!  I appreciated the thought that someone besides me was upset at my (slightly) untimely death.

Did she find it where I left it?  Because I realized after I collapsed dramatically that I'd stumbled in from the east yelling that I'd left the bow to the west.  Because I have no sense of direction.   I blame the blood loss. smile

#9 2018-10-21 10:41:29

sarannwrap

happynova wrote:
sarannwrap wrote:

Yeah, it was all good!

I remember you!  I appreciated the thought that someone besides me was upset at my (slightly) untimely death.

Did she find it where I left it?  Because I realized after I collapsed dramatically that I'd stumbled in from the east yelling that I'd left the bow to the west.  Because I have no sense of direction.   I blame the blood loss. smile

Funny thing is, we both seemed to have thought you said east.

#10 2018-10-21 12:39:23

MultiLife

As a male in early camps, I can see if we are low on food; I appreciate it if the mom can send me off to a direction in wilderness where I can grow up so I don't use the camp's foods. I usually run far to eat from distant berry bushes, going further bush to bush so the closest berry bushes to the camp are left mostly untouched, grow big enough to be able to run the distances and then start bringing in wild foods and cook omelettes. I make sure I starve before a female does, but usually nobody has to when I can secure the food sources.

Anyways mothers are free to abandon who they want. I haven't been abandoned as a boy yet though so it's not terribly common I think.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-21 12:46:53)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2018-10-21 13:24:32

Starknight_One

Jk Howling wrote:

Except keeping a boy might've helped you, y'know. Like you said, too much to do, too little time. Having an extra pair of hands that can range out of camp for supplies rather than having to stay close or being stuck on a timer to feed babies is an advantage many people overlook.

I know that an extra pair of hands can help, but ... my first two were boys. I need at least one girl to carry on the legacy, or why even bother working to build anything? Resources were decent, but not plentiful; enough to support 3-5 people until the farm started producing. I wanted to save them for the girls, and their children. Two boys at the beginning of my birthing years were not going to help; I needed a girl, because none of my siblings survived.

After my daughter was born, I had a son I was willing to keep. But he didn't want to be the child of an Eve - or the only remaining child of an Eve - and ran off. My second daughter also died young. Fortunately, Diana came along as I was nearing the end of my bearing years. Daphne wound up raising her.

The girls were able to raise sons to adulthood, and I'm happy for that. If I were better at scouting and setting up an Eve camp, I probably could have kept a boy or two, but I'm not that good yet. When I am, I'm sure I'll be able to keep more of my children alive.

As long as you've got a good spot, you should have plenty of food to be able to raise at least 3-4 children, if not more. If you don't, then perhaps there's an issue with the location you picked- most often it's due to not camping on or near a desert.

I seem to keep spawning near monoliths, so the biomes are all crazy. And I'm just starting to get good at assessing locations; I've only had the game, what, a week or two? So yeah, I'm probably not going for optimal spots. But I'm getting better.

Being warm cuts down your food consumption a ton. You also need enough local wild foods to sustain you and several children before the berry bushes grow in. The best cases I've had of this have been places with a lot of goose ponds- the more, the better. Omelettes are the best early food in the game and almost always will fill your entire hunger bar, regardless of age.

I'm aware, thanks. Like I said, I'm not exactly an expert at Eveing yet, but I'm getting better. Someday I'll be able to keep most of my children alive in an Eve camp. This run was pretty much that, except that I had a head start before my mother was killed. I think that may have made the difference. That, and having a really good pair of daughters in Daphne and Diana.

In the end, its mostly opinion based. I hate that people seem to have adopted this "reee abandon all boys only keep girls" mentality when in full honesty, gender shouldn't be that relevant in an eve run. Location and experience is much more important than the gender of your children, I think. A bad spot and inexperienced babies can ruin your run much faster than keeping a couple boys will.

I don't have a problem with keeping boys when there are resources available, but things were a bit thin at the time. I'd have kept them if I could. And I suspect you're right; most of my Eve runs wind up with me as an old woman with dead babies. The vast wave of suicides doesn't help, but it really only takes one careless player to destroy an Eve run. When all the food within reach of the camp has been stripped by someone who doesn't know how to manage a Yum chain, mass starvation happens. sad

#12 2018-10-21 13:37:18

Tarr
Banned

I think a thing people forget when they starve boys is that you are already on birth cooldown from spitting out a kid. When you toss one of your boys you aren't guaranteed that the same player is rotating back to you again. Killing your kids isn't going to make a baby girl pop out any faster (unless it's the same exact player popping out AND they roll girl this time.) If anything you should at least try to be willing to keep children who want to help.

From the looks OP ended up tossing two boys who at least talked (talking and F babies at least look like they were willing to stay) and only ended up keeping two girls as the other two kids were suicides. A great son is able to help carry an Eve camp because he never has to stop working. On the other hand a new boy or lower skill set male is going to be incredibly useless due to being a resource sink.

At the end of the day only you decide which kids you keep and which you don't. I personally prefer to be male in an Eves camp because how much stuff you can get done. Though, if I get starved for being male I don't stay as a female either.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2018-10-21 14:22:10

Starknight_One

Tarr wrote:

I think a thing people forget when they starve boys is that you are already on birth cooldown from spitting out a kid. When you toss one of your boys you aren't guaranteed that the same player is rotating back to you again. Killing your kids isn't going to make a baby girl pop out any faster (unless it's the same exact player popping out AND they roll girl this time.) If anything you should at least try to be willing to keep children who want to help.

From the looks OP ended up tossing two boys who at least talked (talking and F babies at least look like they were willing to stay) and only ended up keeping two girls as the other two kids were suicides. A great son is able to help carry an Eve camp because he never has to stop working. On the other hand a new boy or lower skill set male is going to be incredibly useless due to being a resource sink.

At the end of the day only you decide which kids you keep and which you don't. I personally prefer to be male in an Eves camp because how much stuff you can get done. Though, if I get starved for being male I don't stay as a female either.

Like I said: I was put in a situation where I had to be Eve as a second-gen child of, what? 10? By the time I started having children, I was roaming the wilderness trying to find resources I needed to get some bowls fired; there wasn't much wood nearby. Looking back, it wasn't an ideal location, but it had desert, water, and soil nearby; I can work with that. I was out looking for rabbits and wheat when the first two were born; I hope they had better next lives.

Pretty sure I was down to 'starving' more often than not during my fertile years, as well. It wasn't just drain on the area, it was also drain on me. I'm sorry it came down to 'survival first' in those cases, but if I don't live on an Eve run (which this essentially was), so far no-one has lived more than another generation or two. Once I managed to get the farm set up, I was more easy about that aspect, but that wasn't until after Daphne was born. It was a task I could manage while raising a child. Once she was old enough, Daphne helped, and I ran out to gather more wood for the kiln.

I'm glad the Kato line went on so long. I feel like I did something good, even if I had to be harsh to accomplish it. smile

By contrast, my last true Eve run. I'm pretty sure my first daughter wanted to help, but she was trying to show me a cactus fruit and stepped on a snake. The rest of my *ten* children suicided without saying a word or giving me a chance to explain... I was looking for a good location, had a nearly full food bar, and was pretty sure I knew where a decent biome mix was, with water. Once I found it, I was working on getting the farm running... there was food, rabbits, soil, water, and a desert nearby. It would have been fine, children. I would have kept you boys, too. I'm sorry you weren't born into a thriving village where you could run around and waste resources trying to complete a project that's already been done by someone else. And I'm sorry you thought a nameless Eve wasn't going to be a good mother. I'd have chosen a name if I had a legacy... tongue

Like I said: as I get better, I'll be more willing to push on the number of kids I keep. But I really want that heir, if not one to spare, before I raise a boy.

Last edited by Starknight_One (2018-10-21 14:33:39)

#14 2018-10-21 18:21:26

VioletLily

Starknight_One wrote:

By contrast, my last true Eve run. I'm pretty sure my first daughter wanted to help, but she was trying to show me a cactus fruit and stepped on a snake. The rest of my *ten* children suicided without saying a word or giving me a chance to explain... I was looking for a good location, had a nearly full food bar, and was pretty sure I knew where a decent biome mix was, with water. Once I found it, I was working on getting the farm running... there was food, rabbits, soil, water, and a desert nearby. It would have been fine, children. I would have kept you boys, too. I'm sorry you weren't born into a thriving village where you could run around and waste resources trying to complete a project that's already been done by someone else. And I'm sorry you thought a nameless Eve wasn't going to be a good mother. I'd have chosen a name if I had a legacy... tongue

Isn't that the worse. Believe me, I feel your pain.

I once found a perfect paradise of a spot. Seriously, it was a paradise. There was a nice desert next to TONS of ponds. More ponds than we would ever need. You could turn half of them to wells and still feed 30+ people with the eggs available.

There was green, mountains, and plains nearby. The green had many, many maples. This was before the tree farm update, so that was extremely important. The plains had enough rabbits to clothe a city. The mountains had two iron veins.

I had around ten children due to the good temp my camp was on, but most suicided. I had only one son live to adulthood. It was so disheartening.

Maybe it was because the green wasn't within view of my camp. If they would have stayed they would have seen that it was only one or two screens away and we had enough omletes that it didn't need to be closer. I even planted a nice berry farm to try to convince them to stay. The berry farm wouldn't have even been needed until we got sheep because of our never ending supply of eggs. *Sigh*

#15 2018-10-21 19:03:00

Starknight_One

VioletLily wrote:

Maybe it was because the green wasn't within view of my camp. If they would have stayed they would have seen that it was only one or two screens away and we had enough omletes that it didn't need to be closer. I even planted a nice berry farm to try to convince them to stay. The berry farm wouldn't have even been needed until we got sheep because of our never ending supply of eggs. *Sigh*

Hush your mouth, you're talking to a berry farmer here. smile

It sounds like an ideal situation. I'd have liked to be part of that, but I've only been playing a week. Ah well. I'll try my best for all my children, but in certain situations, I'm going to favor the girls. Sorry boys.

#16 2018-10-21 19:45:24

VioletLily

Starknight_One wrote:

It sounds like an ideal situation. I'd have liked to be part of that, but I've only been playing a week. Ah well. I'll try my best for all my children, but in certain situations, I'm going to favor the girls. Sorry boys.

A week really? I'm surprised you can eve in your first week. In my first week, I still took five minutes to build a fire. Good job Starknight_One.

It makes more sense that you would favor girls now. Eveing is hard for new players, especially with a large family to feed.

#17 2018-10-21 21:39:27

Tea

VioletLily wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

A week really? I'm surprised you can eve in your first week. In my first week, I still took five minutes to build a fire. Good job Starknight_One.

It makes more sense that you would favor girls now. Eveing is hard for new players, especially with a large family to feed.

He/She is a special little snowflake

The one and only Eve Kelderman

Board footer