One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-10-15 08:33:23

xclame

Re: the n word

PeaGirl wrote:

Opposing racism is racism altogether. Racism itself looks at no race.

Did you really just write that unironically? You can't possibly be serious. Don't even know if i should waste my time on this obvious troll post or not.
Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Opposing Racism: Being opposed to prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

One is mistreatment of someone else simply based on the color of their skin, the other is opposing people that mistreat people that have a different skin. Opposing racism doesn't target any race, there are racists in every single race and opposing that goes directly against the main criteria of being a racist.

"From: Finland, Oulu"
Well that probably explains part of why you have this belief. You are from a country so white, I bet you haven't even seen a black person this month, let alone have any of them in your social circle. Just because YOU haven't experienced racism or you don't think it's a problem (easy to think this when you  can't come across the situation for it to be a problem) doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's not a huge issue that should be opposed at every opportunity.

Last edited by xclame (2018-10-15 08:41:55)

#27 2018-10-15 08:59:14

FeverDog

TrustyWay wrote:

As an european, this kind of thread about races are always funny. This is such an american problem, but you extended your problem world wide. Where I live racism doesn't exist except if you are dumb and believe everything.

Well racism doesn't exist either in the U.S. "except if you are dumb and believe everything." 

If you think racism doesn't exist in Europe, you're nuts.  It also exists in South America, East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and, yes, Africa.  The particular form it takes in America is obviously specific to America but try visiting Southeast Asia as a Pakistani.  Try visiting Eastern Europe or China as an African.  Try visiting Japan as anything other than Japanese.  Try coming in from the countryside into urban Africa.  Try finding a spouse if you're a dark skin Indian other than another dark skin Indian.  Tell an Arab from the northern suburbs of Paris that racism is only an American problem.

Racism takes many different forms and is highly specific to context, country, the people being racist and the people being shit on.

#28 2018-10-15 10:35:48

Rohen

xclame wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

Did you really just write that unironically? You can't possibly be serious. Don't even know if i should waste my time on this obvious troll post or not.
Racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Opposing Racism: Being opposed to prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

One is mistreatment of someone else simply based on the color of their skin, the other is opposing people that mistreat people that have a different skin. Opposing racism doesn't target any race, there are racists in every single race and opposing that goes directly against the main criteria of being a racist.

Well that probably explains part of why you have this belief. You are from a country so white, I bet you haven't even seen a black person this month, let alone have any of them in your social circle. Just because YOU haven't experienced racism or you don't think it's a problem (easy to think this when you  can't come across the situation for it to be a problem) doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's not a huge issue that should be opposed at every opportunity.

In practice, "opposing racism" in the modern society is very commonly defined as being racist against the majority.

#29 2018-10-15 11:06:00

FeverDog

Rohen wrote:
xclame wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

In practice, "opposing racism" in the modern society is very commonly defined as being racist against the majority.

I would add that it's defined that way due to either ignorance or willfully to advance a pro-white political agenda.  Either way it seeks to redefine the term racism.

#30 2018-10-15 11:16:50

xclame

Rohen wrote:

On what freaking planet? Nobody is opposing white people, people are opposing HATEFUL people of ALL COLORS. The vast majority of white people are not racist and do not feel attacked when people oppose RACIST white people, if you do then you really need to examine why you feel attacked.

If you are racist of support racist ideology just admit it, but don't try to change things to make yourself feel better for defending RACIST HATEFUL people.

#31 2018-10-15 11:32:06

Rohen

xclame wrote:

Nobody is opposing white people

Democratic party, Labor party, Swedish gov., Canadian gov., BLM...

#32 2018-10-15 13:18:43

Glassius

I think when you are writing about opposing whites, or other majorities, you must give an example, like a big shitstorm on "It's OK to be white" posters
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_OK_to_be_white
Or discrimination of whites and asians during university reqruitment, so some people pretend to be black during recruitation
https://nypost.com/2015/04/12/mindy-kal … -be-black/

Also other minorities are treated better for no real reason, like gays (awesome french movie Le placard is about it).

#33 2018-10-15 13:25:21

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Rohen wrote:
xclame wrote:

Nobody is opposing white people

Democratic party, Labor party, Swedish gov., Canadian gov., BLM...

Ur Indian talk about ur government

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#34 2018-10-15 22:23:50

Sovietico21

FeverDog wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

As an european, this kind of thread about races are always funny. This is such an american problem, but you extended your problem world wide. Where I live racism doesn't exist except if you are dumb and believe everything.

Well racism doesn't exist either in the U.S. "except if you are dumb and believe everything." 

If you think racism doesn't exist in Europe, you're nuts.  It also exists in South America, East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and, yes, Africa.  The particular form it takes in America is obviously specific to America but try visiting Southeast Asia as a Pakistani.  Try visiting Eastern Europe or China as an African.  Try visiting Japan as anything other than Japanese.  Try coming in from the countryside into urban Africa.  Try finding a spouse if you're a dark skin Indian other than another dark skin Indian.  Tell an Arab from the northern suburbs of Paris that racism is only an American problem.

Racism takes many different forms and is highly specific to context, country, the people being racist and the people being shit on.

Well i live in South America, and no, racism is not the same here, as it is in the Usa, here the word nigger is not offensive, in fact it doesnt mean anything. Then i ask you, why should we adapt to whatever social rule there is in the Usa?
I feel realy offended that you think you have the right to censor us, since you do not own the universal truth.

#35 2018-10-16 00:10:30

Tea

Sovietico21 wrote:
FeverDog wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Well i live in South America, and no, racism is not the same here, as it is in the Usa, here the word nigger is not offensive, in fact it doesnt mean anything. Then i ask you, why should we adapt to whatever social rule there is in the Usa?
I feel realy offended that you think you have the right to censor us, since you do not own the universal truth.

Like FeverDog says, racism comes in every different shape and every country has them. They might be different for each of them. Even every individual sees a thing as racist or not, they might be offended by it or don't even care.

But just because we don't see something as racist, doesn't mean another person does too. That someone might be hurt and be offended by your words or actions.

I don't think that it's a form of censuring a word that for you isn't a big deal. It is a big deal for a lot of people and we should respect that.

If the Japanese take off their shoes before entering their homes, you should respect that and do it too when visiting. If the people of an island in Indonesia have a tradition that on a certain day, no one is allowed to leave their houses during a certain time, you should respect that and stay at home. If your friend gets hurt because you called them fat, you should respect their feelings and stop calling them that. If a group of people doesn't want you to use the N Word, you should respect that.

This game isn't very different from the world we live in. We all come from different countries, with different believes and cultures, hopes and dreams, with only one goal in common : playing this beautiful game and rebuilding civilization, together and with respect for each of us.

Just because you can't SEE the person playing your uncle, doesn't mean you can through all your respect for them overboard and call them names that might hurt them.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#36 2018-10-16 03:05:19

Sovietico21

Tea wrote:
Sovietico21 wrote:
FeverDog wrote:

Like FeverDog says, racism comes in every different shape and every country has them. They might be different for each of them. Even every individual sees a thing as racist or not, they might be offended by it or don't even care.

But just because we don't see something as racist, doesn't mean another person does too. That someone might be hurt and be offended by your words or actions.

I don't think that it's a form of censuring a word that for you isn't a big deal. It is a big deal for a lot of people and we should respect that.

If the Japanese take off their shoes before entering their homes, you should respect that and do it too when visiting. If the people of an island in Indonesia have a tradition that on a certain day, no one is allowed to leave their houses during a certain time, you should respect that and stay at home. If your friend gets hurt because you called them fat, you should respect their feelings and stop calling them that. If a group of people doesn't want you to use the N Word, you should respect that.

This game isn't very different from the world we live in. We all come from different countries, with different believes and cultures, hopes and dreams, with only one goal in common : playing this beautiful game and rebuilding civilization, together and with respect for each of us.

Just because you can't SEE the person playing your uncle, doesn't mean you can through all your respect for them overboard and call them names that might hurt them.

Fair enough! but where is the limit? How much knowledge you have about what may or not offend certain nationality, as i told you before, i can keep my mouth shut, about a word that has no meaning to me, but why it has to be imposed to me, like in this thread, a policy that does not belong to me and i feel not responsible for.
I feel that you give the matter importance by always bringing the issue upon other people, if you let it flow like nothing happens, it would fade away quite quickly.

Last edited by Sovietico21 (2018-10-16 03:06:05)

#37 2018-10-16 03:29:44

FeverDog

Sovietico21 wrote:
FeverDog wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Of course it's not the same.  I stated that.  I was reacting to TrustyWay who stated: "Where I live racism doesn't exist except if you are dumb and believe everything."  I wasn't addressing the point of you having the freedom to say the n-word in OHOL.  However, now that you mention it, I would support Jason prohibiting people from using hate speech in OHOL.  Regardless of the differences in racism between the U.S. and the rest of the world, the N-word is hate speech.  That's inarguable.  There is no way possible to argue in good faith that the N-Word is not hate speech.  It's impossible.  It simply is hate speech.  The fact of the matter is that English is a global language.  The N-word is an English word.  It is well understood by anyone that speaks intermediate or above English that the n-word is hate speech.  Therefore, its use shouldn't be supported.  I don't know the equivalent words in Spanish or Swedish or Japanese.  But hate speech in those languages should be prohibited as well.  It isn't censorship.  It's being a good person and citizen.  And furthermore, it's not difficult to avoid.

It's disingenuous for you or anyone else that speaks English fluently to claim that the n-word has "no meaning to them."  If you're a non native English speaker you might claim that "grommet" or "aleatory" or "umbra" have no meaning because you might not know the meaning but anyone who speaks fluent English knows what the n-word means.  Therefore, it has meaning to you regardless of your claim.  To be sure, it doesn't have the SAME meaning to you as to an American and I agree that it's probably not as offensive to non-Americans.  Sure, of course.  But why risk it?  For fun?

Last edited by FeverDog (2018-10-16 03:35:31)

#38 2018-10-16 04:50:39

sarannwrap

Lum wrote:

Remember. A kid that insults you does not want to live. It does not want to have nice things, to have fun, to help others. Kill kids that act like that and keep the ones that thank you and love you.

Ok so most of the time, actually almost all of the time this is true.  But one time this kid insulted me (I was an eve) and I kept him alive but trolled him back majorly.  He said b/it/ch and I'm like well kid you're a son of a bitch!  Hes like omg you're cool mom!  We died in the desert together by my choice but i bet he wouldve tried a life with me XD

Board footer