One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-10 13:52:58

Fetch

the n word

I just know when some little baby starts calling me the N word that it's going to be trouble. I tell the other villagers... but they don't believe me.
  I warn them when I see him running around with a loaded bow... but they still act stupid.  But I keep out of the way and it's not me that gets
killed.  Police your children people.

Sam

Last edited by Fetch (2018-10-10 13:53:22)

#2 2018-10-10 15:39:02

Booklat1

Re: the n word

why don't you just starve babies that do it? or stab them

#3 2018-10-10 16:47:03

hmrka

In my experience the three people I met that have used the n word as babys turned out to be griefers. If you're their mom just stab them, but tell other people first (Its hard to starve a kid in big town) , If youre male or old you can just kidnap the kid and It will starve (If It won't jump out). I prefer stabbing them. Yeah you might get cursed by some people but I do this when my kids are trolls , and I never have been in donkey town.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#4 2018-10-10 17:08:47

Lum

Remember. A kid that insults you does not want to live. It does not want to have nice things, to have fun, to help others. Kill kids that act like that and keep the ones that thank you and love you.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#5 2018-10-10 19:12:00

Fetch

Good point about kidnapping.  Wasn't my kid, so I couldn't starve it. And I didn't have a knife.

#6 2018-10-10 20:49:54

happynova

IMO, a player that does that isn't a potential griefer.  They are already, by definition, a griefer.  A griefer is someone who is deliberately tying to mess with other people in ways that ruin their experience of the game.  Spewing that kind of crap at other players is nothing more or less than a deliberate attempt to upset people and to make the game an unpleasant place to be.  That's griefing.  Stab 'em and curse 'em.  Let 'em go talk racist shit at each other in Donkey Town.

#7 2018-10-10 21:41:53

WomanWizard

Yeah, if my baby starts its life saying the n word, or fu, or kill, that's a no on me feeding the kid.

#8 2018-10-10 22:02:24

Tea

I also don't feed kids, who instead of saying H demand to have a BP or jump out of my arms to show me that they want the seal coat on the floor. Be polite, say at least H and I might give you that coat if no one else needs it.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#9 2018-10-12 12:09:11

helloworld

I don’t think saying n word is griefing hmm... played two life were i role played a racist. Both time got stabbed. Good times. I made a few backpack before being stabbed around 34 years i think. Lol most ppl liked me till they found out i was racist!!!

P.S. if you see a racist in real life, do you go stab them calling griefer?

P.S.S. There are wide range of people in the world, and there is a wide range of racist people. Lets be open minded or at least let people have their own perception.
Killing people just because you dont like them is sociopathic.

Last edited by helloworld (2018-10-12 12:32:01)

#10 2018-10-12 15:24:35

happynova

If I see a racist in real life, I don't hang around with them or play with them or put up with their bullshit.  If I see one in the game, I'm not hanging around with them or playing with them or putting up with their bullshit.  Nobody is actually getting killed in OHOL, and you perfectly well know it.  You're entitled to any idiotic or offensive opinions you want, but the rest of us are under no obligation to sit through them. Go be a jerk somewhere else, dude.  And grow up.

Last edited by happynova (2018-10-12 15:24:59)

#11 2018-10-12 16:05:34

littlemissmesssy
Banned

happynova wrote:

If I see a racist in real life, I don't hang around with them or play with them or put up with their bullshit.  If I see one in the game, I'm not hanging around with them or playing with them or putting up with their bullshit.  Nobody is actually getting killed in OHOL, and you perfectly well know it.  You're entitled to any idiotic or offensive opinions you want, but the rest of us are under no obligation to sit through them. Go be a jerk somewhere else, dude.  And grow up.

You mean you would walk away from them in real ? You can also do that in the game though just walk away unless they're being racist to you anyway it's hard to be racist in the game esp that you dont really know what race is that person is in real so it's kinda all stupid getting mad about it

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#12 2018-10-12 19:51:56

Rohen

Obligatory reminder that -er and -a constitute two different words that have different meanings.

#13 2018-10-12 21:30:25

Monolith_Rans

Racial slurs are griefing.  Racism in OHOL is not part of gameplay or even RPing.  There is no advantage in the game to being white and all males are equally inferior to females.  Since, we police and socialize ourselves in this game I’m telling everyone right now that I will stab you or shoot you with an arrow myself if I ever see that bs.  And I’ll curse you to donkey town and tell my children to curse you.  If you are a racist, you don’t belong in my village.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#14 2018-10-13 14:43:58

Nigger
Banned

#15 2018-10-13 15:06:50

Lum

Hi. Please don't "roleplay as racist". It's not fun for anyone except you, maybe. Also don't expect anyone to be open minded about people who categorically refuse to be just that. Killing people just because you don't like them is "sociopathic". Do you know what else is sociopathic? Racism.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#16 2018-10-13 17:06:39

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Lum wrote:

Hi. Please don't "roleplay as racist". It's not fun for anyone except you, maybe. Also don't expect anyone to be open minded about people who categorically refuse to be just that. Killing people just because you don't like them is "sociopathic". Do you know what else is sociopathic? Racism.

No I dont think being racist makes u a sociopath looool search the term sociopath loooool

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#17 2018-10-13 21:22:32

UnnoticedShadow

Technically, being white is better than being Indian, as it gives you the ability to have gingers (female) as opposed to blacks (male) but they are pretty even.  I kill racists on sight.

#18 2018-10-14 01:17:28

betame

I, Niguel Marchewka
was named the n word just now for bing the mid-toned child of a light skinned mother.
My mother stood around the domestic berries with a bow; I ran to another mom as soon as possible, explaining my case and sending tytyty. I also saw my mom take the last berry off a wild bush roll Then by the time we needed the bow for sheep, the bow and arrows had been lost.
She later called me a F*G
I asked her why for each instance. No response. Others chimed in that it was rude and ignorant.
I cursed her at the end of my life.
(After I brought in the first lamb. To the pen I made. With the bow/arrow/rope I made.)

Point being: Players who use slurs tend to be as bad at playing OHOL as they are at being empathetic irl. And they will be rejected from any community except their own.

If you don't reject them out of your community, they are your community.

For those who don't comprehend that using slurs is naive/undignified and will limit your options in life: Those slurs are meaningful, powerful words because of their historically oppressive context. Using them in a casual - non-ironic* - way is flippant of that history and makes people view you as rude or uninformed. Whether they tell you or not, they've lost respect for you (or they're ignorant too).

*@ShadouFireborn, right. Gotta be careful with irony too. I'd meant when in-group members subvert the meaning of a slur to diminish its power, to desensitize, and to satirize the oppressors. It works within my community, but humbly my scope is limited. Removed to avoid dangerous confusion.

Last edited by betame (2018-10-14 02:38:07)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#19 2018-10-14 01:51:16

ShadouFireborn

betame wrote:

I, Niguel Marchewka
was named the n word just now for bing the mid-toned child of a light skinned mother.
My mother stood around the domestic berries with a bow; I ran to another mom as soon as possible, explaining my case and sending tytyty. I also saw my mom take the last berry off a wild bush roll Then by the time we needed the bow for sheep, the bow and arrows had been lost.
She later called me a F*G
I asked her why for each instance. No response. Others chimed in that it was rude and ignorant.
I cursed her at the end of my life.
(After I brought in the first lamb. To the pen I made. With the bow/arrow/rope I made.)

Point being: Players who use slurs tend to be as bad at playing OHOL as they are at being empathetic irl. And they will be rejected from any community except their own.

If you don't reject them out of your community, they are your community.

For those who don't comprehend that using slurs is naive/undignified and will limit your options in life: Those slurs are meaningful, powerful words because of their historically oppressive context. Using them in a casual - non-ironic - way is flippant of that history and makes people view you as rude or uninformed. Whether they tell you or not, they've lost respect for you (or they're ignorant too).

I would argue that even using them in an ironic way is still flippant and makes people view you as rude or uninformed. There is no reason to use racial slurs, no matter what the context is. You know what the word means, you know how people feel about the use of the word. Even if you think you're using it 'ironically', you're still using it.

Just don't use it.

Last edited by ShadouFireborn (2018-10-14 01:51:59)

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#20 2018-10-14 10:20:39

TrustyWay

As an european, this kind of thread about races are always funny. This is such an american problem, but you extended your problem world wide. Where I live racism doesn't exist except if you are dumb and believe everything.

I don't excuse these people that use the word nigger in an aggressive way.  Still, we are so limited with letters that we can't know if it is really racism or trolling. Bzt anyway if it hurts people you should stop.

It isn't like it should never ever be allowed because it depends of people listening to you. For exemple If you have a room full of black people wanting you to do racist jokes on them, then do it, if they don't, don't do it.

ShadouFireborn wrote:

I would argue that even using them in an ironic way is still flippant and makes people view you as rude or uninformed. There is no reason to use racial slurs, no matter what the context is. You know what the word means, you know how people feel about the use of the word. Even if you think you're using it 'ironically', you're still using it.

Just don't use it.

Even if I said "don't" too just before I dont agree now x)

My fellow black pal calls himself friday, my arab mates call themselves terrorists, my teacher calls them terrorists and we call him back nazi. Or tell girls to watch out for their beards since they are protugeses. And we have a good laugh at the end. But don't do that with people you don't know.

We aren't supposed to feel offended by everything. I'm not saying you shouldn't be offended by slurs but at least make the difference when it is serious or ironical (aka retard). People call me too things I might not like but I get over it.

There was a time when people didn't want to hear something, they just stop listen instead of messing even more.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-10-14 12:20:17)

#21 2018-10-14 13:20:37

Rohen

betame wrote:

The post doesn't contain anything that would prove the point. It's just you trying to invoke dread.
Intimidation check failed.

Last edited by Rohen (2018-10-14 21:44:02)

#22 2018-10-14 14:05:13

xclame

helloworld wrote:

I don’t think saying n word is griefing hmm... played two life were i role played a racist. Both time got stabbed. Good times. I made a few backpack before being stabbed around 34 years i think. Lol most ppl liked me till they found out i was racist!!!

P.S. if you see a racist in real life, do you go stab them calling griefer?

P.S.S. There are wide range of people in the world, and there is a wide range of racist people. Lets be open minded or at least let people have their own perception.
Killing people just because you dont like them is sociopathic.

In this game (and any game really, games just aren't the place to talk about these things) there is zero reason to be using the N word, this isn't somewhere where we can have a discussion about the word and this isn't a place where there is a group or community of black people hanging together and using their version of the word and no, playing a black character does not unlock that ability for you, that defeats the whole reason some black people having chosen to use their version of the word (Which I still despise and would rather they didn't, but I'm just one person, so what can I do).

Roleplaying a racist? You sure that is all it was, if you want to roleplay as something "evil" in a game and you can't come up with something better than a racist then you suck at roleplaying and you should stop, it takes no effort or skill to roleplay as a racist because being racist you requires lack intelligence in the first place.

If there were no legal or mental consequences to killing the racist? Yes, I would stab them.

Yes there is a wide range of people in the world, which is exactly one of the reason that being racist is idiotic. And yes there is a wide range of racist people, but what is your point? Being racists means illogically thinking someone is somehow worse simply they have a different skin color.
Thinking black people are better able to handle/work in the hot sun because of their skin color isn't racist because it's logical and true, forcing them to work in the hot sun without any pay because they are black on the other hand IS.

Yeah let's be open minded to hateful and ignorant people, that makes a lot of sense, people like this don't deserve a place in society and they do not deserve a place in our games either.
You don't like black people, but don't do or say anything against them? Keep things to yourself and I will avoid you like the plaque and we can both go on.

Don't try to minimize things just to excuse your behavior, nobody is killing these people  "because they don't like them" they are killing them because they are being hateful and ignorant and people would rather play with people that are not like that.

TrustyWay wrote:

As an european, this kind of thread about races are always funny. This is such an american problem, but you extended your problem world wide. Where I live racism doesn't exist except if you are dumb and believe everything.

I don't excuse these people that use the word nigger in an aggressive way.  Still, we are so limited with letters that we can't know if it is really racism or trolling. Bzt anyway if it hurts people you should stop.

It isn't like it should never ever be allowed because it depends of people listening to you. For exemple If you have a room full of black people wanting you to do racist jokes on them, then do it, if they don't, don't do it.

My fellow black pal calls himself friday, my arab mates call themselves terrorists, my teacher calls them terrorists and we call him back nazi. Or tell girls to watch out for their beards since they are protugeses. And we have a good laugh at the end. But don't do that with people you don't know.

We aren't supposed to feel offended by everything. I'm not saying you shouldn't be offended by slurs but at least make the difference when it is serious or ironical (aka retard). People call me too things I might not like but I get over it.

There was a time when people didn't want to hear something, they just stop listen instead of messing even more.

Yes this is in general an American problem, that doesn't really matter though. If you don't think there is any racism where you are then you need to get out of your bubble more, racism exists everywhere, the only difference is that most other that are not the USA it's not as blatant and obvious as it is there, racism in Europe is subtle and not as aggressive as in the US.

There aren't many ways to use the word, either it's offensive or it's descriptive that is it, either you are meaning to hurt someone by using the word or you are describing a story about someone using the word, the black youth's version of the word is not the same so it doesn't fall under this.

I think the only times the word should be allowed to be said is if you are describing someone else saying it, say the news talking about a racist going off on a black guy, I feel that going with the term "N-word" makes it less shocking and seem not bad even though everyone knows what was really said. You need to get it all across, people should feel  uncomfortable we should feel a little bit how the person being attacked felt when yet another story of a racist person pops up and using the actual word in the story I believe does that, using a washed version of the word let's some people keep going without having to think about it. But in a game there should never be a reason to use the word, if you are playing with your friend and want to tell them about the racist person that just attacked you in real life or the latest story about some racist dumb person, the game is not a correct way to communicate that, go on discord, go to whatsapp, go text, call them. It does seem like you are trying to excuse the use of the word, even if you say you aren't.

If people are killing simply because someone said N, which is a common way for babies to answer negative to a question, then that is dumb, but I highly doubt anyone is doing anything like that, so that excuse doesn't fly. What does it matter if someone is being racist or a troll? Most people don't want to play with either of those people and if you are trolling using racially offensive language then even more what does it matter if it's actual racism or troll "pretend" racism?

Unless you are playing on one of the less populated servers or you have a camp of solely your friends, there is never going to be a time where it's just a "room full of black people", you don't know that because you don't know the skin of everyone you are playing with and even if everyone was black, not every black person uses the word or appreciates other black people using the word, it is mostly a young people thing. Be a black person and go say that word in front of a old black lady and tell me she doesn't chew you out or try to slap some manners into you.

Again as I said above unless you are playing ONLY with your friends, behavior like this is not acceptable. I have this American friend of Mexican heritage, we sometimes make vulgar and offensive jokes related to her Mexican heritage. Like this one time in GTA when I ended up a field where Mexican workers were working on a field and I tell her, hey! I found your people and she drives to me and sees what I was talking about and we both have a laugh. Offensive jokes like this with your friends are only funny if everyone is involved and everyone is okay with the humor, when there are strangers involved they are not.

Nobody is talking about being offended by everything (weird isn't it how every apologist always changes the story to make their defense look better), everyone here is talking about one specific word or behavior. We shouldn't have to distinguish between intent when it comes to offensive language, if the intent was meant to be humorous, you wouldn't need to tell people that. That is why people like Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock or even your friend (when the joke is told to you) can make a joke using a racially offensive joke or on the topic of race without having to tell you it's a joke before telling you it.

It's great that you can get over being called things, so can I. That doesn't take away the fact that it's still an offensive word meant to hurt people.
We can still stop listening and get on with it. Some games give us the ability to ignore players and no longer see their text and even report them, this game gives us the ability to kill those players which stops them from playing with us, whats so wrong about that.

Last edited by xclame (2018-10-14 14:08:34)

#23 2018-10-15 05:01:58

Sovietico21

TrustyWay wrote:

ShadouFireborn wrote:

Just don't use it.

True, the way the act with that issue is mind blowing, plus they just cant grasp that in the rest of the world it is just not acceptable to ban a word, and the issue is not as complicated as it is in their country.

#24 2018-10-15 07:43:11

PeaGirl

Me: "WHAT IF WE BUILD A WALL?"
Others: *stabs you and shoots arrows*
Me: "OKAY."

I get it, starve your griefing kids by giving a piece of black humor. But don't go on telling how deep in the ground they need to be dug to be considered "bad". Opposing racism is racism altogether. Racism itself looks at no race. Can't wait for that stage of "evolution" when people see it badly to breastfeed a baby in public.

If you need, I will offer you a knife so that you can cut yourself out of that whaleload of bubblewrap, I mean... it makes you less stressed and you can try to be less sensitive for every little "N" word. You are not kids who giggle when someone says "dick" or something... unless you are which is alright.
I mean. I joke about this between my friends in OHOL when bored. I just find it stupid when people who are not involved in the humor come on "countergriefing" even though we are willing and working citizens. If you can't stand Swedish slur jokes, then get the fuck outta my eyesight.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-10-15 07:47:29)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#25 2018-10-15 08:25:17

hmrka

Monolith_Rans wrote:

Racial slurs are griefing.  Racism in OHOL is not part of gameplay or even RPing.  There is no advantage in the game to being white and all males are equally inferior to females.  Since, we police and socialize ourselves in this game I’m telling everyone right now that I will stab you or shoot you with an arrow myself if I ever see that bs.  And I’ll curse you to donkey town and tell my children to curse you.  If you are a racist, you don’t belong in my village.

This. Yes like the people above said words shouldn't be banned but dont be upset If you suddenly get stabbed for throwing slurs at other players.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

Board footer