One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-08 02:56:53

SirCaio

Incorporating building as a core aspect of the game

I think the developer should turn building rooms and structures into an essencial part of surviving and structuring a civ in game before the Steam release, as I fear there will be many new players that jump into the game with the intent of building their own houses and structures and seeing little villages form (like how is shown in the trailer), just to later be frustrated/disappointed by the fact that building is only aesthetic and hinders survival and effectiviness more than it helps (especially now with the chest blocking griefers running wild). I say this because it's pretty much what happened with me when I first started playing, but I stuck around. That said, here are some of my humble ideas on how to turn building into a core aspect of the game:

-More Simple Building Materials: Thatch(Straw)/Planks.

-Mouflon Hide + Any Floor = Simple Rug (not as good as a bear skin rug, but it is a simple way to buff the temperature of a tile inside a room)

-Rose Seed + Bowl of Soil + Water + Time = Potted Rose Plant (Just decoration)

-Primitive Stove: Serves as a hot adobe oven and a hot flat rock at the same time that is able to cook food without having to wait for the fire to turn into hot coals, being a more convenient way to cook inside structures.

-Table: A "container" that is especific for food in wich you can also place 6 plates/bowls on top allowing you to make pie crust and other itens in a restricted space.

-Fire lasts longer inside fully enclosed rooms: Fire 1min ---> 3min / Large Fast Fire 30s ---> 1min / Large Slow Fire 4min ---> 6min.

-Clothes (when not worn), Carts and Baskets have longer decay timers inside fully enclosed rooms: Clothes (Rabbit fur/Wool) 5h ---> 10h / Carts and Baskets 10h ---> 15h.

-Simplified Milkweed and Pine Panels: Milkweed should be simpler to farm (not consuming soil and leavind a hardened row) and wield more (2 stalks from every plant), as for Pine Panels they should be way cheaper to make. E.g. Two Shafts + Long Straight Shaft = Three Shafts + Long Straight Shaft = Four Shafts + Rope = Wooden Frame + Rope = Netted Wooden Frame + Pine Needles = Pine Panel.

-Adobe Floor and Cooling Adobe Structures: A full adobe room will have a cooler inside than the outside, making building in the middle of the desert viable.

-Windows and Shutters for Room Temperature Regulation: If a room is too hot, opening a window would release some of the heat and vice versa, this would allow for some nice variation between biomes, such as desert houses having lots of windows and houses in the arctic having none.

A Possibly too Far off suggestion:
-Raccoons: Very common animals in the green biome that would eat food from the ground, baskets and boxes if they can get to it, incentivising playes to build storage rooms.
-Raccoons would be very fragile animals, requiring only a long straight shaft to be killed, but multiplying every 10 minutes.
-They would always run from the player, but if you ever come into contact with one you'd be scratched (maybe even contract rabies on VERY rare occasions?) and be unable to pick up itens for 10 seconds.
-Dead Raccoon + Flint Chip = Skinned Raccoon + Hand = Raccoon Pelt + Needle and Thread/Ball of Thread = Hunter Hat (I thought it would be funny to have those cool raccoon hats in the game smile )

And these were all of my ideas on the matter, I hope some of them can make it into the game in some form eventually, but for now feel free to add upon/discuss them on the comments wink
-Thanks for your attention.

#2 2018-10-08 06:01:09

Dodge

Re: Incorporating building as a core aspect of the game

Making adobe walls permanent (still removable with water and pickaxe) if heat higher than  middle temp and also make them lower temperature instead of increasing it, so we could have buildings in desert that dont act like an oven

Also a bed that stops or slows down food pips for afk purposes smile

#3 2018-10-08 07:18:04

PeaGirl

SirCaio wrote:

-They would always run from the player, but if you ever come into contact with one you'd be scratched (maybe even contract rabies on VERY rare occasions?) and be unable to pick up items for 10 seconds.

Making green biomes dangerous too? Yeah.... no. Buildings would be awesome, but raccoon would be a death for early eve camps, since quite many camps often appear near corners of forests. Thought having it killed with only short shaft is handy, but it making one unable to pick items for 10 seconds is rather crucial... and rabies only would make player dangerous, considering that they are infectious, and it could be used for rabies griefing.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#4 2018-10-08 10:21:45

ShadouFireborn

I think it's a bad idea to give griefers even more opportunity to grief. Making buildings essential just magnifies the existing problem that griefers can easily make buildings permanently inaccessible.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#5 2018-10-08 11:53:22

SirCaio

PeaGirl wrote:
SirCaio wrote:

-They would always run from the player, but if you ever come into contact with one you'd be scratched (maybe even contract rabies on VERY rare occasions?) and be unable to pick up items for 10 seconds.

Making green biomes dangerous too? Yeah.... no. Buildings would be awesome, but raccoon would be a death for early eve camps, since quite many camps often appear near corners of forests. Thought having it killed with only short shaft is handy, but it making one unable to pick items for 10 seconds is rather crucial... and rabies only would make player dangerous, considering that they are infectious, and it could be used for rabies griefing.

Welp, I didn't expect this ideia to be well received after all (that's why I stated that it's possibly too far off), but I thought it'd be interesting to leave it there since I wanted to suggest some kind of "threat" to leaving food lying around, although the whole getting scratched and rabies part could just be left out.

Board footer