One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 16:48:58

Potjeh

[Suggestion]Sinew

So I just played as Eve, and I had a game plan. I was going to make a fully clothed settlement, so people don't have to be eating 24/7 and have time to work on tech advancement. The rule would be simply that you can only keep a baby if you can immediately clothe them. So I set out to walk constantly west and pick any milkweed for sewing, discarding any kids born along the way. I lucked into finding a cart and a full set of clothes with two backpacks. I noticed that I'm getting kinda old so I had to stop and raise some kids before it's too late. Thing is, I only managed to scrounge together one rope and one thread in over half a lifetime. Had to use my rope for a snare so I can get furs and food, so that just left me able to make only one piece of clothing for two kids (kept a boy and a girl, was gonna raise boy to be trapper and girl to be farmer). I raised them to like 7-8 years old, then died at 44 waiting for fire to burn out so I can roast a rabbit, but that's besides the point. The problem was that this was a fairly green area, and there was still nowhere near enough milkweed for the two of them to get clothed even after one inherited my full set. And milkweed shortage only gets worse with age of a settlement, so it seems we're just doomed to languish naked and hungry.

Now, I don't mind that clothing is a struggle early on, but it should be a bit more accessible when you reach a higher tech level. I think a good level to get access to more thread would be bow and arrow tech. So what I'd like to see is something like this: skinned mouflon + flint chip -> sinew, sinew + flat rock -> sinew on flat rock, sinew on flat rock + round rock -> thread. Crafting tree inspired by this. From there:

What is Sinew?
Sinew can be obtained from the tendons of any mammal. Tendons are the tough stringy things that attach muscles to bones. When these tendons are processed into sinew they provide a wonderful material that can be used to make super strong cordage, good sewing thread, and they can be used as a binding twine to attach arrowheads, arrow fletchings, knife blades, spear points, drill points and etc. Sinew is as tough as nylon, and it is impregnated with its own natural glue that can be activated with a little moisture. Sinew shrinks a little when it dries so that is binds things together tightly. Sinew will last for hundreds of years if it is protected from moisture. In short, sinew is a super material that has no modern equivalent.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-03-10 17:04:08)

Board footer