One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-17 12:20:34

Ellesanna

Things to learn or overlooked feature?

I have a lot of fun in this game playing a variety of roles like baker and trapper (those two are my favorite roles) and while those roles are fun I do wish that I knew how to do other more complex stuff.
Things to learn:
COMPOST
It is really important to learn how to create compost as you advance through the tech tree as soil depletes faster than people like to think. Yet, if compost isn't already being made by the time I am born into the village or there aren't people out looking and gathering the resources to make it it seems that no matter what I do the farms die before I have the ability to do anything cause I'm making a crap ton of omelets to keep everyone alive until we can get the farms back running. I've never have made compost before and while I have looked at the wiki its one thing to read about it and another to do it. Poop is hard to get. Speaking of poop...
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY
I know absolute dick-all regarding animals. I know that to get a cow calf you need to get it from the tamed buffalo thing but idk how to tame that. Idk how to get sheep from the wilderness and keep them from dying. Sheering? I think I did that once in a dream. You want me to stab a sheep? uhhh ok. Did that and now there are dogs everywhere. Help.
COMBAT
There are griefers in every server ever and it seems like whenever there is one and I have a knife I always get killed because I don't know how to stab them. Not because of any moral qualms but because I keep clicking the left and right mouse button to stab them and it won't do it??? Same with bow and arrow, don't know how to use it. Wish I knew how so fuckin Hope IV or Bob IDGAF didn't fuck our entire village even after I gave my knife to a competent hunter who gets stabbed while trying to figure out what happened. Sorry, still a little salty- griefers will hopefully quiet down after donkey town.
SMITHY
Being a smith seems really cool, if a really hard job. I tried to figure out smithing during the tutorial but I accidentally used the only two saplings needed to skewer rabbit to make knitting needles trying to create tongs and after spending twenty minutes running around all the way back to the beginning of the tutorial and found not a single sapling to be used- I decided smithing wasn't for me. Smithing just seems rather complex and one of those things that are really difficult to to teach on a time limit with limited speech bubbles. It would be really cool to learn at some point though.
EVE RUNNING
I knoooooow that there are forty different tutorials out there on how to do eve runs but theory is a lot different from practice. I run around feeling pressured by the invisible but very real threat of death over my head trying to find a good spot and the the babies start pouring out and I feel bad for abandoning them so I try to keep ONE alive which turns out to be a real problem when trying to make the damned bowdrill cause babies are slow AF and you cant leave em anywhere for five seconds cause its cold and they starve quick with only four food bars and just klajsdsljkfhgekjthkjernhnkgbjk AAAAAND my baby is dead. A little while later, things aren't so bad. I have a kiln and a fire going and look! We have bowls and plates, life is good.
But... I still don't have a stable source of food going via farm and even if  I manage to get seeds and create a hoe between doing everything else needed to be done to set up camp by the time the food grows its often too little, too late. I still try during all my eve runs yet not a single one has worked out due to the above mentioned reasons or I accidentally choose a shitty spot (how could I be so dumb to forget to check if the area had goose ponds??? for christ's sake). I think my main problem is that I'm too slow to get the stuff done that needs to be done and so I use up all the naturally growing food while trying to raise my kid.

Now that all thats over with. Theres always been something that I wanted to have happen but I don't think has happened.
LIBRARIANS:
We can write now people! I think it would be cool to have a spot filled with papers about people's name and their stories. Maybe stories about a massacre that took place or how a monarchy cult was taken down? Or maybe keep record of a union be it a marriage or a partnership between two people. Maybe even adoption papers would be cool. It would be a grandma writing down advice to her great-grandkids that she will never see or a nomadic eve writing a note to her child that she left with the village. A set of rules written down like- dont feed the dogs or leave mutton laying around. There is endless potential for writing and it seems like its only used for curses or for various forms of trolling or writing down useless bits of info like 'beef beef beef beef beef.' I wish paper were easier to make and that I could spend some time at one point writing down either my story or the stories of others, especially as an elder whose death draws near. There are many stories I wanted to tell to others about the history of a village but couldn't because people were too busy to listen. I feel that writing stuff down is the key to villages having a culture, which is the base of civilization and something I feel is lacking in OHOL at the moment. Maybe there could be a way to bind papers together to create books to help with storing paper. A book of laws could be made and that would be cool. A history book could be made too! Heck, someone could write a love book to their dog Fido, if thats what they want. Art is art afterall and the creation of art is what enriches a culture.

#2 2018-09-17 15:04:07

Nopik

Re: Things to learn or overlooked feature?

Smithing: go back to the tutorial and try again. Hint: you get tongs from hitting a straight branch with a sharp stone and then with a flint.

Eveing: try an empty server (any server higher than three). It is much easier without babies popping up constantly.  And when you know it will only be you, you can settle in a less ideal spot. One person only needs 3 ponds and three fertile soil piles to survive until you can compost.
If you die of old age, you spawn in the same area for the next life, so you can build a nice place for yourself and learn whatever interests you without worrying about other people.
If you do get a baby, I recommend NOT raising it. People who choose empty servers generally don’t play well with others. But that is your choice.

Sheep: make sheep pen and put bowl of berries and carrot inside. make bow and arrow and rope. Put food and rope in backpack. Carry bow and arrow to badlands with mouflon. Follow a mouflon around until it has a baby. Shoot mouflon. Eat. Use rope on baby, run back to sheep pen and release baby in pen. Feed baby. When it grows up, it will have domestic sheep babies. Keep the mouflon in the pen, feed the babies for poop and wool and meat.

#3 2018-09-17 15:28:09

Falsewall

Overlooked features...  I think sheep eating even a single carrot left in a row leave behind a basket (3 bowls of dirt).

With a 2 part pen and an airlock in the middle you can theoretically make a profit of dirt at the cost of 1/5 carrots per grow.

Just seal the airlock and grow/harvest where the sheep is not.

I have never seen anyone bring this up, but I noticed it as a possibility.  Haven't tried.

#4 2018-09-17 19:37:50

Jk Howling

Falsewall wrote:

Overlooked features...  I think sheep eating even a single carrot left in a row leave behind a basket (3 bowls of dirt).

With a 2 part pen and an airlock in the middle you can theoretically make a profit of dirt at the cost of 1/5 carrots per grow.

Just seal the airlock and grow/harvest where the sheep is not.

I have never seen anyone bring this up, but I noticed it as a possibility.  Haven't tried.

Not rly worth it though, when you can earn more soil profit from using that carrot for compost over having it just eaten by a sheep for a single pile of soil. Think about it: 1 carrot = 1 pile of soil, or 2 carrots = 8 piles of soil. Which is better?

I mean, I guess you could pick 4 and use those both for compost [equating to 16 piles of dirt total], then let the sheep eat the final carrot for an extra pile of dirt. But you could also just use that extra carrot with the 5th carrot of the next batch, and earn 4 times the soil from it.

The only downside is that compost costs more- 12 berries, 2 carrots, a wheat, and some water, to break it down. But even with the added requirements, the profit is much better. Factoring in that you use 4 bowls of that soil total [2 for berries, 1 for carrots, 1 for wheat], you get a profit of 20 bowls of soil to use on other things.

Compare that to using 1 bowl of soil for a profit of 2 bowls in return.

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer