One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-16 12:03:30

UnnoticedShadow

Game Mechanics need to be reworked

At this time, we have been getting more work on things that "progress" us higher in the tech tree (Rails, Dogs) and less on fixing and remaking the core mechanics of the game.  (except the curse update)  Overall, we are getting more features on top of mechanics that have not been perfected, instead of having those mechanics fixed first.
      One example of this is getting rails, even though the game does not have a use for transportation yet.  I think this game needs to have it's base features reworked before we can properly advance the tech tree (dogs)  and focus on things like temperature, food system, biome regeneration as reworking these things early on will allow the game to build itself a sturdy foundation to build off of in future updates when we do advance the tech tree.

#2 2018-09-16 12:25:47

MultiLife

Re: Game Mechanics need to be reworked

Well, community splits apart with this. There are old pros who are eager to get to modern day technology while some others just wish for some polishing for the current situation and current tech stage so it'd stay fun and be solid.

There was a good phrase brought up in another thread; "The new tech needs to be needed". Due to crafting trees and available resources, it takes a lot to add all-around solid tech updates so they just come in "sprinkled" around the game, not as useful as they should be to be worth it to have them, sadly. This is the major weakness of tech-updates, for sure.

Some updates reset servers afaik, so building perfected bases over and over again bores some old, loyal players, who then ask for more tech in updates. I personally am happy for updates which fix some stuff and maybe sometimes grant things that just become a necessity to strive for, but due to having just one dev the interval may be so long that it takes months for some things to be worth it to have in-game.

Anyways, new tech could occupy some bored old players as the game has promised this for them, they want to play to advance, and now they are behind a wall in tech (no wonder, it's a slow development). These players often feel like when they finally get what they want, it's badly implemented. But if all updates are just fixing things, that starts to frustrate them too.
It's such a balance to dance on, but both do benefit the game at some point. There is little patience though, and I understand that completely too.

TL;DR: community's opinion splits with this, some want new tech, some want things fixed. Both are needed but the balance is difficult due to having one dev and lots of possibilities for developing. Everything takes time which frustrates some, and hastily implemented things frustrate people too.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-16 12:27:52)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-09-16 18:31:37

Booklat1

i think we simply cannot progress much without fixing.

currently there is quite a lot of things in game that exist while being not very useful, maybe even broken. pigs and worms come to my mind. The first is a mess, it's meat is barely useful and bones don't disappear. I don't understand why dogs eat mutton and not pork. Worm, on the other hand are pretty much an unused feature, they could be used in mass composting i think, maybe along with new resources.

I agree with multi, the game resetting and people having to climb the same tech again over and over is annoying. Which is why i thnk we need early civs to have more balanced needs and options to deal with those. The game is still young, if suddenly there is some meta shifts that concern early/mid game i'm sure people would be intresred. More biomes or just a tad rebalance of a few current ones could be a way to do it. no one wants to rush grass + water, kiln, forge, farm and sheep forever. if othr biomes had water, or early tools, we'd get a much bigger combination of early civ locations. (best idea for me would be to add a couple biomes with diverse options like savannah)

I think Jason nailed it in big and small farm updates and cooking update but has since gotten a bit rushed (with reason since he had to deal with a lot of non-content coding). He is adding stuff people ask though, which seems to be one of the directions his development takes, along with needed stuff. The issue on that is adding dogs before, for example, tree farming and better hunting seems like a bad choice. More wild meat and the ability to plant trees would allow us to occupy better all biomes, which can be a late game goal by itself.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-09-16 18:33:32)

#4 2018-09-16 18:36:13

UnnoticedShadow

THANK YOU.  I disagree about tree farming though, as that fixed the non renewability of saplings.

Board footer