One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 03:56:28

SomeRandomPerson

What's the use for dogs

Haven't got a chance to play, so far I've heard they are for griefing.

Can they help with livestock or alert us to bears or murder. Can we name them?

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-15 04:02:08)

#2 2018-09-15 04:03:31

Turnipseed

Re: What's the use for dogs

No cant name, no use yet

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-09-15 04:18:51

SomeRandomPerson

Turnipseed wrote:

No cant name, no use yet

So he just added them in without a use, That's dissapointing.

At least we got donkey town  so hopefully that reduces griefing. I already saw one griefer complaining on the forums about it so that makes me happy.

#4 2018-09-15 04:22:57

Turnipseed

Give it time solo dev its alot of work jason is awsome he will fix it... i think it will take longer than two years to make it awsome though

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#5 2018-09-15 08:38:18

SomeRandomPerson

Turnipseed wrote:

Give it time solo dev its alot of work jason is awsome he will fix it... i think it will take longer than two years to make it awsome though

Hope he works on them some more next update. Until then it's another novelty item like rails and pigs.

#6 2018-09-15 11:39:12

Tarr
Banned

Nah he has already stated time for next week to give the dogs uses.

The dog infestations are a compound of multiple different issues: People are/were leaving biomes full of raw mutton because they refused or didn't know they could just cook it. As soon as dogs were added these biomes were converted from "useless" meat to useless dogs.

Dogs are simply overtuned to give you too many puppies per mutton. From one sheep you are producing 12 dogs worth of puppies who all do not require feeding to move to their adult stage. I think Jason needs to require puppies to eat like all the other baby animals with or without the starving issue.  This at the very least cuts down the amount of adult dogs running around in a city.

Dogs are new: When something is new and easily obtainable everyone is going to want to do it. I know the first thing I did on update was attempt to figure out how to bring dogs to the town spot I landed in. Once I brought in the first puppy it snowballed into a small dog infestation featuring two pitbulls as well.

Hoping that each of the dogs cover some sort of niche purpose such as chihuahuas yipping and barking nonstop when hearing a murder scream or something like beagles hunting rabbits. Give Jason some time and the mistake will get fixed and we'll probably all go from loathing to loving our new furry friends.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-09-15 14:17:11

Anshin

I did a little research on the breeds, and each breed has something they're good at:

Airedale - herd cattle
Beagle - hunt rabbit
Chihuahua - watchdog, murder alert
Collie - sheep herd
Dachshund - hunt rabbit
German Shepard - sheep herd
Pitbull - aggro to other dogs & people, when tame herd cattle (Jason said he would tweak pitbulls and make them tamable)
Poodle - water dogs, hunt geese
Schnauzer - watchdog, murder alert

So it seems there's two of each working type: Sheep Herd, Cattle Herd, Rabbit Hunter, Watchdog, and one Water/Bird dog.

It would be nice to also have domestic rabbits so that the "rabbit hunting" dogs could herd the tame ones.
Same with the poodle, have it herd domestic geese... I suppose that means Cattle dogs should help hunt Bison too.
Historically pitbulls were also used for bear baiting so maybe tame ones could scare bears back into their dens?

All dogs should be killable.
Dogs should eat something harder to get, like carnitas.

This doggy update has so much potential! I love it! big_smile

#8 2018-09-15 18:23:29

Jk Howling

Anshin wrote:

I did a little research on the breeds, and each breed has something they're good at:

Airedale - herd cattle
Beagle - hunt rabbit
Collie - sheep herd
Dachshund - hunt rabbit
Pitbull - aggro to other dogs & people, when tame herd cattle (Jason said he would tweak pitbulls and make them tamable)

+1, love these ideas.

Anshin wrote:

Historically pitbulls were also used for bear baiting so maybe tame ones could scare bears back into their dens?

Iirc currently dogs and bears 'occupy' each other. That is, if a dog gets close to a bear, it will start targeting it, and the bear will start targeting the dog. Neither gets injured. That's a step towards this at least.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2018-09-15 18:38:20

UnluckyLucy

Anshin wrote:

Airedale - herd cattle
Beagle - hunt rabbit
Collie - sheep herd
Dachshund - hunt rabbit

So it seems there's two of each working type: Sheep Herd, Cattle Herd, Rabbit Hunter, Watchdog, and one Water/Bird dog.

It would be nice to also have domestic rabbits so that the "rabbit hunting" dogs could herd the tame ones.
Same with the poodle, have it herd domestic geese... I suppose that means Cattle dogs should help hunt Bison too.

This doggy update has so much potential! I love it! big_smile

dachshund were primarily for badger, which is why they are so damn stubborn.

For the love of god, berries DO NOT regrow on domestic bushes unless emptied, resoiled, and watered

#10 2018-09-15 20:53:07

JellyLegs

Anshin wrote:

Yes! We need a dog kibble recipe.

Board footer