One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-10 20:33:32

Tebe

Re: Chill out server

Norgg wrote:

Okay, think I've figured out how to disable murders (set deadly distance to 0 for knives and bows and arrows), shutting down the server to restart and give it a go.

Bril! Here's a q: Does that deadly distance also apply to animals? Does this spell the end of the hunt?

#27 2018-03-10 20:40:18

Norgg

Yeah, likely just a stopgap. Next step might be to password protect the server and ask people to get it from me in private. If that leaks out then it'll be down to requiring accounts in some way, which is effort.

#28 2018-03-10 20:41:27

Norgg

Tebe wrote:

Bril! Here's a q: Does that deadly distance also apply to animals? Does this spell the end of the hunt?

I don't think it does since animal killing is done through the recipe system while deadly distance is just for direct PvP. The bow and arrow also has a useDistance of 5 which I haven't touched.

#29 2018-03-10 21:07:20

Hydromancerx

So i died a grandma farmer after the griefer killed everyone but me and the sheep herder. I tried to restore the farms and clean up all the bones and put stuff back. Many berry bushes were killed sadly. I could not restore them.

Griefer you suck!

#30 2018-03-10 21:16:16

Norgg

Last person finally died and it's back up again now.

#31 2018-03-10 21:20:31

Norgg

Damn, that doesn't seem to have worked, murder still works.

#32 2018-03-10 21:26:54

Commoners

It's probably the knife that I made and left laying around. Not exactly the legacy I wanted to leave lol

#33 2018-03-10 21:29:19

Norgg

Commoners wrote:

It's probably the knife that I made and left laying around. Not exactly the legacy I wanted to leave lol

Haha, I got someone to test a bow and arrow on me and it still worked for some reason, my understanding of the code was that setting deadlyDistance to 0 would stop that, will have to poke around some more.

#34 2018-03-10 22:21:36

Norgg

Okay, looks like I just also needed to clear the object cache for the server to pick up that change. I'll apply that change in the morning for me when the server is quieter again.

#35 2018-03-10 22:27:02

Tebe

Norgg wrote:
Commoners wrote:

Haha, I got someone to test a bow and arrow on me and it still worked for some reason, my understanding of the code was that setting deadlyDistance to 0 would stop that, will have to poke around some more.

Haha, I saw that go down in the house.

A fully-clothed child walking up to his mother and saying "Use the bow and try to kill me."

A peek at what transpired after:
A pile of bones and clothes. I said "Damn." Mama said "LOL"

#36 2018-03-10 23:05:38

Aiven

Norgg wrote:
Tebe wrote:

I don't think it does since animal killing is done through the recipe system while deadly distance is just for direct PvP. The bow and arrow also has a useDistance of 5 which I haven't touched.

I tried to hunt, but I couldn't now. Probably because of this. I clicked a wolf many times. Then I went too close and got eaten.

#37 2018-03-10 23:20:29

Norgg

Aiven wrote:

I tried to hunt, but I couldn't now. Probably because of this. I clicked a wolf many times. Then I went too close and got eaten.

I'm pretty sure hunting is still possible, I managed to kill a wolf when I was on testing if the murdering was turned off. Effects from that won't have taken effect yet anyway, sure you were right-clicking?

Last edited by Norgg (2018-03-10 23:22:46)

#38 2018-03-10 23:31:27

Aiven

Norgg wrote:
Aiven wrote:

I'm pretty sure hunting is still possible, I managed to kill a wolf when I was on testing if the murdering was turned off. Effects from that won't have taken effect yet anyway, sure you were right-clicking?

Was probably left-clicking hmm

#39 2018-03-10 23:36:55

Tebe

Aiven wrote:
Norgg wrote:
Aiven wrote:

Was probably left-clicking hmm

Classic mistake. Right-clicking a wolf is "kill", left-clicking a wolf is the command for walking up to the wolf and offering your tender meat for a snack.

#40 2018-03-11 02:01:20

VintageXP

Tebe wrote:
Norgg wrote:
Commoners wrote:

Haha, I saw that go down in the house.

A fully-clothed child walking up to his mother and saying "Use the bow and try to kill me."

A peek at what transpired after:
A pile of bones and clothes. I said "Damn." Mama said "LOL"

I was that mom!

#41 2018-03-11 03:05:55

Trial By Trial

Adding a "Thanks for this server" - I was finally able to complete a couple (simple) recipes that I was never able to work through before!  Now back to the main server(s) to try my hand at actual survival.

#42 2018-03-11 04:45:39

Witheress

Thank you for setting this up! The main world seem so hectic. WIthin a couple of spawns I landed myself with a mother, another child, and a small farm. 
Growing up on this farm, I carried water dedicatedly to the crops. In middle age, an old woman came to me and led me to a larger farm. I felt bad for abandoning my old, but in this new place a man and I cared for the crops into old age. As my time grew closer, I decided to return to my birthplace. There, I found a middle-aged woman starving with two children. I bade her come to the land of plenty that I had built, and she came. I hope she and her baby live on, for I did not past the minute of our return.
Thank you for reading my small story!
May the generations live on.

#43 2018-03-11 04:52:40

Left4twenty

It's a lot of fun on this server, some very nice breathing room to teach and learn, thank you.  Finally learned the smithing hammer, it was a mythical tool to me before snow xD

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#44 2018-03-11 06:45:08

denriguez

This server is so much fun. Two stories:

- My first time on it, the griefer wasted me in the big city after I grabbed some clothes and asked him if he needed help. There didn't seem to be anyone else around. I immediately respawned where I had previously, to an Eve who ran in the opposite direction of the city. I ran back into town and sure enough, he killed me again. This time I respawned as an Eve at the same spawn point, ran into town saying, "you'll have to just keep killing me" or something to that effect. Repeat. My fifth(!) time in, as an Eve, another Eve saw me and told me to follow her. We each grabbed a cart full of tools and ran super far northeast, the griefer chasing us the whole time. Pretty sure he got lost. The other Eve and I created a secret handshake and eventually made our way back to the big city, where the griefer was nowhere to be seen. It was so fun to use that handshake when one of us would respawn to the other.

- Later, I spawned as a baby boy in a smaller settlement north (?) of the big city. I grew up gathering branches so my mom could build fires for pies, but we didn't have an axe, so we could only do small fires. As my mother died, I swore to her that I would learn to use a forge and would dedicate my first axe to her. It took me much of the rest of my life (and the help of a skilled passerby dressed in royal robes) just to learn how to make charcoal. I fired up the forge, tossed the ore inside, put it on a flat rock, and died shortly after I realized I didn't have a stone to hammer it while hot. Sorry, mom.

#45 2018-03-11 07:39:03

Tebe

denriguez wrote:

This server is so much fun. Two stories:
As my mother died, I swore to her that I would learn to use a forge and would dedicate my first axe to her. It took me much of the rest of my life (and the help of a skilled passerby dressed in royal robes) just to learn how to make charcoal. I fired up the forge, tossed the ore inside, put it on a flat rock, and died shortly after I realized I didn't have a stone to hammer it while hot. Sorry, mom.

Oh, god, it's so funny to me. I was playing on this server until I got to experience a lot of the stuff I hadn't seen yet - I built the sheep pen behind the great hall and brought the first sheep in, dyed the first wool, learned how to wrangle the little buggers (my initial attempt was an absolute disaster - sheep running all over the fields, dead lambs everywhere - it was bedlam I tells ya), but going back to the main game is such a hilarious contrast. In Norggland, it's not at all unusual to see royalty in colored garb and crowns lounging around on the bear rug chatting about gold mining and eating rabbit pie. Back on the savage servers, you're lucky to get a few berries in your belly before you die naked and alone in a desolate swamp.

By the way, you were really close to making the head for your hammer! All you needed was to smack it with a round stone and you just about had a smithing hammer.
Also, I believe that royal passerby was me - You showed me the northern road of tilled rows and I'm sorry I never did return with those baskets - I got caught up in the city bustle when I returned!

Last edited by Tebe (2018-03-11 07:42:55)

#46 2018-03-11 08:28:22

Kitaelia

Oh my gosh this server is amazing! I believe I lived to old age at least 4-5 times in the big city, Primarily gardening. I've learned so many things on this server!~ <3

One of my favorite early memories was an aging man saying something like "Grampy is building a fence by the house for sheep" To which I think I said something akin to "Yay Grampy!" and later "Awwwww Gramps!" At his death. I -think- this may have been the same elder who taught me how to make compost! I carried on that wisdom Grampy! Many generations later I had children asking me "Are the berry bushes worth saving?" ..."YES for the love of god yes!" haha

I was very sad when the Griefertroll showed up and murdered everyone.. Even though it did force me to get some sleep irl tongue

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#47 2018-03-11 08:32:21

Hydromancerx

This server is great! I have been working on "The Fertile Road" which links a smaller camp someone made to the main farm. Just follow the path of fertile soil all the way up north. Thanks to my children who worked up in the northern camp.

Last edited by Hydromancerx (2018-03-11 08:32:36)

#48 2018-03-11 09:58:04

Baker

I might finally check out this server, I've heard a lot of good things. I'd like to try my hand at making some steel tools.

Edit: Just lived my first life on the server.  I was born on a farm just north of the main civ. I made a bunch of pies for them and worked on there farm. In my later years I traveled to the main camp, they were kind enough to give a tour and they even allowed me to take a steel axe home with me. People seem a lot nicer on this server (Probably because they aren't so hungry all the time)

Last edited by Baker (2018-03-11 11:01:42)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#49 2018-03-11 11:37:04

Phate

Its not impossible to deal with, its actually easier due to the settings on this server, there is always a group of pro people hanging around with a stashed knife and bow
to deal with the kids that were molested and take it out on the internet types.

Last edited by Phate (2018-03-11 11:37:21)

#50 2018-03-11 11:40:07

vilka

Hydromancerx wrote:

This server is great! I have been working on "The Fertile Road" which links a smaller camp someone made to the main farm. Just follow the path of fertile soil all the way up north. Thanks to my children who worked up in the northern camp.

So glad you posted this. I had no idea you did this and wow the effort you put into that road. great job!

North camp is great, can start over again but not be too far from friends. Few have come up to visit and couple born in north camp now. Great times.

Board footer