One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-07 23:15:48

Solbusaur

Teaching Noobs

Craig was a newbie to the game. He wanted to help the civilisation by farming, so he watered the plants tilled some of the soil. He didn't know about some of the rules when it comes to farming, however, and made a mistake by tilling piles of three soil that were lying around.
Henry, presumably the lead farmer, was appalled and threatened Craig with death. I was only an adolescent, and was desperate to convince them otherwise. Henry was claiming how it was a pain in the ass to deal him with and fix his mistakes, and was very adamant about the execution. Maple and Henry were bouncing the idea back and forth before I suggested that I would take him under my wing and teach him the basics, as it was obvious he was just trying to learn, he wasn't doing anything consistently malicious like a griefer. Maple was pleased by the idea, she deemed it fair and easier on her part, not needing to worry about his shenanigans. Henry on the other hand was hanging by a thread, and said "He gets one more chance", "Then I'm killing him". Honestly, I thought that meant I'd get the stick too if I failed.
I managed to teach him all about soil spending and how to retrieve soil/compost (With a few inevitable mistakes along the way) and he quickly became accepted into the community. Everyone was asking how he was doing and if he'd learnt it well, though I did feel bad for us being on the edge of 'babying' him.
Shortly after, a few of us died by a pack of snakes (Not Craig, he got to die of old age), but my point is that newbies should deserve to learn like most of us did. Being killed for mistakes, -which is a part of learning- seems like a stupid idea to me. Killing a griefer is fine, but you should be able to distinguish a griefer from a new player most of the time.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1030810 Craig
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1030830 Me (Fiona)
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1030830 Maple
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1030830 Henry

Last edited by Solbusaur (2018-09-07 23:39:35)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2018-09-07 23:26:18

Tarr
Banned

Re: Teaching Noobs

The thing was most of my kids in that village were incredibly rude to the Moist family. Faylinn took her daughter Maple off to the side of the village and asked whether they should just kill all my children which I agreed they probably should. You were unfortunately targeted due to the actions of your brothers which just made the tension between the two families worse and worse.

I would have "taught" you but you were a mute nearly the whole time I had you around as a child. I specifically asked if you were new when you were a kid but the only thing you said to me was Denni which just sort of confused me. All in all it was just sort of an unlucky spot to be if you would have been an actual new player.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2018-09-07 23:32:07

PeaGirl

Lol. I remember being that "Mister Moist" one time. But I myself always try to inspect ppl's doings. Often when people till freshly dropped soil loads, I often mention them how it would be made otherwise. It gives people more motivation although it makes you spend less time on your own thing if you weren't there farming. I mean not everyone has enough patience to teach every new person, but we gotta try at least somehow, so that those new players can share what they know from others. It's little bit like domino effect, except you use short shafts for it, and those may fall either way possible.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#4 2018-09-08 04:31:47

redbird

I remember this. IIRC I was one of your later kids and you told me the tale of Craig. I've been trying to go out of my way to really teach up new ones - at least on the stuff I know well, since I'm sort of new-ish myself.

The other day I birthed a child who said it was their very first play, so I spent a long time just mentoring them through farming, composting, making omelettes, and hunting rabbits. (Then I starved right before grasping a berry.) I'm happy to know that person will be able to contribute to any camp even though they are still orienting themselves. "You're a good mom." Best compliment from a new player.

#5 2018-09-08 09:14:49

JonySky
Website

the problem is easy ... there are people who pay attention and want to learn ... and other people do not care to learn and only do what they think they have to do ... without listening to anyone

I agree that these people have to be given a warning ... if they do not listen ... they are not productive

#6 2018-09-09 02:03:31

Jk Howling

I'll likely be opening a new twin-tutoring thread for the influx of new players once I get home from vacation tomorrow. It'll be personal 1-on-1 guidance via discord voice chat for any forum members who want to pick up something new.

I'm also planning on asking around towns in my male lives tomorrow if anyone wants to learn anything, and going through steps with them. A teaching role sounds fun, and sorely needed.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-09-09 02:05:02)

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer