One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 17:36:36

TLyon

Help is welcome

I have been playing a lot since I bought the game 3 days ago, and it's been a fantastic experience, althought totally exhausting I have to say.

I have seen posts in which you give tips like getting a backpack and clothes early, how to make a good farm, and so on. The problem is, most of the time when I respawn as a baby I have to follow my mother orders, because I want to help and I can't survive alone. Other times, when I spawn as an Eve, I try to trap rabbits, make fire and clothes, while at the same time trying not to starve. But I cant find enough milkweed, it is scarce, and when I find it it is just enough to make some basic things. I could try to make a milkweed farm but for doing that I need even more resources and time.

How can I progress if everything I do just leads to more problems? And how can I take care of at least one daughter to preserve my lineage when I alone am almost at the edge of starvation?

Last edited by TLyon (2018-03-09 17:38:30)

#2 2018-03-09 20:17:59

xoomorg

Re: Help is welcome

I would suggest focusing on building tiny settlements of the sort you'd like to stumble upon if you were a wandering Eve.. because next life, you might.

Even a small improvement to the world can pay off big in the future.  If we all focus on doing this (instead of trying for more advanced technologies right now.. which is just not going to be sustainable yet) then soon the map will be filled with such locations, and a wandering Eve can get started on something more productive, right away.

I don't think this "look for one small thing you can improve before you die" strategy is permanent.. it's just until we have enough of a safety network in place.  Once it gets to the point that you're saying "well I can't build any more tiny farms / trapping camps / milkweed farms because all the good spots are taken" then that would be an indication that we're ready to move on to the next phase.

#3 2018-03-09 20:25:38

TLyon

xoomorg wrote:

I would suggest focusing on building tiny settlements of the sort you'd like to stumble upon if you were a wandering Eve.. because next life, you might.

Even a small improvement to the world can pay off big in the future.  If we all focus on doing this (instead of trying for more advanced technologies right now.. which is just not going to be sustainable yet) then soon the map will be filled with such locations, and a wandering Eve can get started on something more productive, right away.

I don't think this "look for one small thing you can improve before you die" strategy is permanent.. it's just until we have enough of a safety network in place.  Once it gets to the point that you're saying "well I can't build any more tiny farms / trapping camps / milkweed farms because all the good spots are taken" then that would be an indication that we're ready to move on to the next phase.

When I arrive to my home I'll try to do this. If it works, maybe I'll stick to that way of playing, and if not... Well, I'll share with you my thoughts ;D

Last edited by TLyon (2018-03-09 20:26:05)

#4 2018-03-09 20:29:56

TLyon

By the way, how do you think this could be made takong in mind the new update? (You know, with the soils now dissappearing and needing compost)

#5 2018-03-09 20:36:50

xoomorg

I haven't played the new update yet (been busy with work since it came out) but I have been seeing in a few other threads where people are trying to come up with new tiny farm designs that could work.  Honestly, composting sounds a lot more resource-intensive than I'd hoped (taking berries and reeds and I don't know what else) and so I worry about it.  I may shift my focus to trying to create tiny milkweed plantations and/or tiny trapper/furrier camps, to make sure we can cover the map with plenty of clothes.

The way I look at it, if I can live long enough to create even one tiny settlement before I starve, that's a "WIN" for me.

Imagine how much easier the game would be (or maybe "less impossible" would be a better way of saying it big_smile ) if every time you spawned as a new Eve, you could run in almost any direction and stumble across a supply of clothes, some food caches, a tiny farm (if we can figure out a new design) or such.  And from there, once you'd "caught your breath" and felt secure enough that your basic needs had been met, you could branch out and start looking for forges or bakeries or other slightly-more-advanced (but still small, and widespread) settlements.

Board footer