One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-31 06:03:02

SomeRandomPerson

Wait What

Sorta new player here and I'm a little confused. So far I've played the tutorial and some of the optional part. I learned berry farming recently since people kept telling just to do that.

Then In my Most recent life I was murdered for the first time, By my own mum. I was Sam Mona and the worst thing I did was call my grandmother old.

Mum raised me and then killed me when I was only five years old.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-08-31 06:05:40)

#2 2018-08-31 06:10:23

Turnipseed

Re: Wait What

Did you move from where she put you as a baby?

Were you rude?

Did you do something after being told not to?

Were you eating, and not doing much?

did you ignore specific instructions?

Were you in the way?

Did you eat a carrot?

With the influx of new players (who inevitability make mistakes and set back progress) people are getting less and less patient with their mistakes however small.

Dont be discouraged just note what you did and dont make the same mistake in the future.

When killed ask why. Most people will tell you if it was for a specific reason. (They should of been civil, but like i said patience for new players seems to be waining)

If you did nothing wrong, and were just busy tending berrys you may have been griefed... it happens... more often than anyone would like.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#3 2018-08-31 06:14:39

Turnipseed

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=986602

And btw...

If this was you that was me. I told you to stay put, you started running around.

It wasnt a misclick because you changed direction several times and humpped a lock.

Thats one thing i dont stand for as a kid if you want to see the town ask for a tour. If im not busy ill show you around.

#4 2018-08-31 06:23:46

SomeRandomPerson

Turnipseed wrote:

Did you move from where she put you as a baby?

Were you rude?

Did you do something after being told not to?

Were you eating, and not doing much?

did you ignore specific instructions?

Were you in the way?

Did you eat a carrot?

With the influx of new players (who inevitability make mistakes and set back progress) people are getting less and less patient with their mistakes however small.

Dont be discouraged just note what you did and dont make the same mistake in the future.

When killed ask why. Most people will tell you if it was for a specific reason. (They should of been civil, but like i said patience for new players seems to be waining)

If you did nothing wrong, and were just busy tending berrys you may have been griefed... it happens... more often than anyone would like.

This was me http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=987168

The only sorta rude thing I did was call gran old but I was joking. Besides that all I did was water a couple berries. I was alive for 5 minutes and most of that was spent as a baby by a campfire or in mums arms.
My mom didn't seem like a troll at all. She raised me and said she loved me when I was a baby.

Seems a little unfair to kill someone for making a mistake. If i did something wrong why did nobody try to tell me first before going straight for the kill.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-08-31 06:27:11)

#5 2018-08-31 07:05:15

boggers

There are some different sorts of people who play.

The vast majority are nice and good.

A small minority of griefers will kill you because they are bored or think it is funny.

A different small minority of griefers who think they are better than everyone else will kill you for arbitrary ideological reasons that interfere with their grand vision. eg. you eat too much, or you ate a carrot they had planned for compost, or you fed someone, or you were born a boy in an overpopulated moment, or you stood in their way near the forge, or you made a weapon, or any of a thousand other reasons.

If you are going to play this game, you'll have to get past the fact that some people are just nasty.

#6 2018-08-31 10:46:56

mikekchar

Your mother was clearly a griefer, unfortunately.  Notice their last words.  Notice they were killed by Vincent Mona.  Notice Vincent Mona lived to a ripe old age of 58.  You also had a little brother that lived to 60.  So basically, your mother killed you at 5, then raised your brother.  Your brother apparently escaped and then your mother had a third child that starved.  Interesting that they starved at 0 and their last words were "!".  So I'm guessing they they died trying to run away from their crazy mother.  At this point she did something that pissed people off enough that they killed her.  The fact that Vincent survived to an old age means that he was not a griefer -- griefers die young because they get killed for causing havoc.

So basically, you were just an innocent victim.  Sorry.  It happens.

#7 2018-08-31 11:12:53

PeaGirl

Ideally, I have gotten away from most deaths that would have come across me, by simply telling what I do. "I get this to sheep pen." "I make compost." "I make mutton pie." "I water carrots/berries/." "I fetch stones." "I need some spare food for travel." Etc. I have noticed that really many people forget to communicate which makes others upset. Sometimes talking with others is very efficient way of planning among players. What to do, where to, where things are etc. Of course repeating your doings like a bot isn't all the time really fun, but it sometimes can save time.

One of the most common sayings I often see kids asking is "Jo-b?", and I tell them to do something simple like keeping farm, or delivering food for sheep. If they don't know, you as a mother should be able to know, if not then asking someone to teach the child is best at this point. (Or reviewing guides or OHOL wiki may come handy.)

I am also one of those people who kill their baby if they do not listen what I do say. I've always placed kids by the perfect temperature tiles so they would consume less food, but since the food ringing irritates them and they begin running after you, it's not fun to the mother either. Mothers place you on temperature tile, because you consume food bar every 20 seconds, instead of food bar every 5 seconds. When you fold that in mathematical thinking, you have about 2½ times more time to spent building before eating, when you abuse temperature tile and work on temp tile/run from it anywhere you need.

Oh yeah, cursed ones never get away with me if they are born from me.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-08-31 11:22:22)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#8 2018-08-31 15:38:32

Turnipseed

Yeah looking at that you just got unlucky

#9 2018-08-31 18:02:07

WomanWizard

To everyone who kills their babies when they run around, this is just silly. If your baby runs off and starves because you aren't around to feed them when they're hungry, they've learned their lesson. If they run off in an early Eve camp to a cold tile and ignore you when you ask them to stay warm, let them starve, but give them a warning/explanation at least. But some of your babies are temp running around to get a better look. I've been killed for doing this before, despite the fact that I started on a warm tile, and ended on the same tile without using up even one hunger bar.

This is probably one of the stupidest reasons for killing a baby that I can think of.

#10 2018-08-31 18:27:34

Turnipseed

Ill tell you why i stabbed you, but im not letting you grow up.

If you run around a lil with a parent that hasent said a word to you ok, but if i specifically tell you to stay, and you run around. You couldent follow even the most simple directions, You were impatient, and you wasted my time. Chances are a kid like that isnt gonna be useful.

And ive tried the verbal approach it dosnt work.

On several occasions ive had to tell someone "dont sheer last sheep" "dont keep cursed kids" "dont eat the carrots" even explaining why only to see them doing it again later. People need to know there are consequences for their actions.

#11 2018-08-31 18:53:53

WomanWizard

I still think you're being stab happy. Yes, sure, if the baby has been told to stay put, been placed on a warm tile, still runs to cold tiles and, here's the important part, ignored the explanation for why it needs to stay put, yeah, starve them. Fine. I tell my babies I won't feed them if they don't stop running around and that usually calms them down, but I have never stabbed a baby for wanting to look around. Heck, one of my kids kept following me despite me telling her to stay put, and it turned out it was because I was farming and she wanted to learn by observation.

Otherwise you're creating a toxic environment for new players just because they don't inherently know how you want the game to be played. It sucks being at the mercy of another player who suddenly decides you're going to be a burden to society and pulls a knife out for something so incredibly minor as walking off of the tile she put you on. And if you're baby IS temp running to get a look around the place, you're weeding out a player that is probably going to very useful to the town. What you see as impatience may be what another player views as efficiency.

Stabbing should not be used as a form of communication, but rather enforcement. If you are telling kids why you stabbed them after having already stabbed them, you probably missed a step.

#12 2018-08-31 19:13:59

Turnipseed

The problem is if i want the kid to starve, or just stop feeding them they run to the berry feild and yell f, and someone feeds them

Plus all they have to do to avoid the stab is type "s... r....y.."

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-08-31 19:19:20)

#13 2018-08-31 19:31:52

WomanWizard

I'm not sure I'm seeing the problem. If the town is so big that you can lose track of your kid in a berry field, it can probably support a child that runs around a lot. If another mother wants to raise your baby, maybe even take the time to talk to and teach it, that's her choice. Stabbing the child just seems so unnecessary and rude.

It sounds like you're making up rules for how your babies should behave without explaining those rules to the babies. Communication isn't easy for babies, and frankly I'm more irritated by babies who try to talk to me one letter at a time than babies who don't slowly spell out the word "sry" if they think they've offended me. Not all moms want the same things from their babies, so stabbing a kid for not acting the way you want them to is confusing and unhelpful to the child.

#14 2018-08-31 20:52:38

Turnipseed

Scenerio: i place baby on perfect temp spot. It runs off humping random things. I pick up bring back to temp spot say "stay here or i wont feed you" baby runs to next nearest female and says f. I stab baby.

I dont see a problem with that. Its not like the baby takes one step, and i stab it.

I do the same when a kid wont leave the smith area after ive told him a few times, or when a kid burns more than one rabbit in, or when a kid just will not stop burying everybodys bones, or when someone sheers all the sheep.

The problem isn't the one action everyone fucks up now and then. Its that they dont care/listen.

If everyone did this people would stop and listen when you say "stop" instead of carrying on and potentially screwing things up, because they know if they ignore everyone they will be killed. We might have a chance to teach them.

Im happy to teach. I always warn, but if you do the same thing twice... im gonna kill you, and im not the only one.

#15 2018-08-31 21:39:01

WomanWizard

If a kid is actively harming the town and refused to listen to your explanation, sure stab them. But the way you describe things it sounds like you've given up on the communication side of things and just bark orders. If the kid doesn't listen, it's the knife.

This is what I'm getting from you, and if it's not what you're doing then please correct me. It's why I'm arguing so much against it.

Some of the scenarios you mentioned are griefers, but some are just confused newbies who don't understand the consequences of what they are doing. If you're going to kill people for not listening to you, you need to make sure you're communicating with them efficiently, otherwise what you're doing is absolutely not fair.

So many people in game try to tell me what to do. How am I supposed to know you're the one who's going to stab me for ignoring you? You don't own me or the way I play the game. Sure you have the ability to stab me for not playing the way you want, but that doesn't make it right.

#16 2018-08-31 22:52:55

Turnipseed

Well my babies yes im "barking" orders at them to stay put. I generally wait until after the say something so i know they are loaded in. Im their mother it is their only job to do what i say until they grow hair. If im not doing something pressing i like to give my kids a tour of town. I

Adults are another story.

Everyone gets one chance for me to explain why what their doing is hurting the town. If they ignore me and/or continue doing it they die.

I dont kill sponges. I just tell them to get to work, or offer to show them a job if im not super busy.

#17 2018-08-31 23:11:14

PeaGirl

This has escalated bit too much. First of all.
1. Mother is the boss. If baby does what mom says like "stay on this tile", that is already helping mom, because in community that requires constant attention, mothers have to time to time pause the nursery for a moment and do what was left off.
2. Baby is not the centre of the world. If baby goes somewhere where mother did not instruct, likely they die. And they die. In community huge enough babies very likely find other folks that would feed them. Issue is that most people don't fully understand the benefit of temperature spot.
3. Mom can do at minimum of one minute of work before returning for their baby/babies, and during that time, baby/babies likely won't die as quickly. Some get so distracted of the food bell ringing that the instinct makes them follow anyone or the mom. This is something that furstrates me too, and I often teach people to do as I say, and I explain why. "If you sit here, you lose less food per twenty - seconds."
4. Communicate. Players who bought this game, perhaps joined the forums for their venting thoughts, CERTAINLY know how to read even the basic words. I am sure their english is enough to answer when they have grown hair when they have obeyed mother's words.
5. If you die as baby, just reborn. You likely lose nothing when you die, when you are still so young.
6. If you get stabbed, it is either you were not interested in camp, or acted suspicious. You cannot be that ambitious that you scout all over the place while on temperature tile. I am sure it is fun, but it risks you for dying because mother thinks that you went to baby suicide. Don't do it. Get some tea or something and wait till you old enough to explore.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-08-31 23:16:00)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#18 2018-08-31 23:19:33

PeaGirl

Turnipseed wrote:

I dont kill sponges. I just tell them to get to work, or offer to show them a job if im not super busy.

Yes, I sometimes hand some people a job, explain a little how it is done so that they can get interested in it, for example baking, or stew making. "Hey, since you are not busy atm, there are pie - crusts waiting to be filled. Use - sheep muttons in pen for it and cook when - all plates are full." People who end up sponging what I mostly see in reason is because they feel overwhelmed as what to do. Encouraging others to do something gives them a little push of motivation. If not, then I just curse them in secret.

#19 2018-09-01 01:04:12

boggers

Had an Eve run yesterday, home staked the perfect temp spot on desert edge, said to the first kids "Don't move from this spot, OK?"
I go off and gather rope or do whatever, always come back with plenty of time to spare, but soon enough I come back and there are bones in the freezing cold tile right next to the perfect spot.
Next kid I have, put them on the same staked spot. "Do not move from this spot, OK?" I stand across from the bones and say "See what happened to the last kid who moved?"
I had quite a few kids after that, found a couple of them not moving from the warm tile even after they had full head of hair and there was a bunch of cactus fruit right next to them heh.

#20 2018-09-01 01:53:47

WomanWizard

Turnipseed wrote:

Well my babies yes im "barking" orders at them to stay put. I generally wait until after the say something so i know they are loaded in. Im their mother it is their only job to do what i say until they grow hair.

It's fine for you to not want to put in the effort to explain the situation to them. I have absolutely no problem that. My problem is your choice to actively kill the child instead of letting it starve or find a new parent. You made the decision that you didn't want to bother with that kid. But choosing to stab the baby will always be a toxic choice in my eyes unless it has proven to be completely unreasonable.

As for my temp running as a baby, I can and will continue to do it if the need arises. There are very few mothers who decide I need to die over it and I'm always back on the same tile she dropped me on well before she decides I need feeding again. Like I said before, I make it back to my tile before I even lose one hunger bar. I don't try to scout the entirety of massive cities or anything, just the immediate area.

#21 2018-09-01 12:28:41

Spiegel

Randomly, people will always think you're suspicious for laughing a bit, all, "Hehehehe. . ." even if you're doing your job. Can't one just be jovial without being up to something?! ; ;

Board footer