One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 13:20:43

rosden

Looking at the viability of sustainable farms to build villages.

EDIT: this is old. The new changes give compost 3 soil and now 1 carrot seed plot can seed 10 plots. This changes the conclusion and makes farming with a larger population much more viable.

I just spent a life on a server building a sustainable farm from scratch using 2 pieces of soil.

KgXPPSS.jpg

What I found was that your population is dependent on the amount of berry bushes you have.

My process:

everytime I get berries I get a seed and make compost

That compost is then used to make a new berry bush and refresh carrots seeds or make a new carrot plot

then those new berries restarts the cycle.

Now what this process does is stagnant your soil meaning at most you are making 3 plots of edible carrots on your first life (only enough for 1 person).

The only way you get more soil is when the berry bushes replenish their berries (meaning now there is 2 composting soil at once) which requires waiting an epoch(60 years).

what this means is in perfect conditions without major hiccups your village population can grow by as many berry bushes replenish once per epoch.

1 turns to 2 turns to 4 turns to 8 turns to 16 as long as each composting soil makes a new berry bush.

The next problem is reeds which are required to make compost which replenish once per epoch. So your farms size is will be based upon how many reeds are around your farm.

which makes 16 or even 8 people supporting farms non-viable (so 4 or 5 population will probably be the max if not then 3).

Also you can always start with a higher population by laying down more soil and making more berry bushes.

And remember this is all based around the farm not having any major hiccups.
if you start a new farm and a new player walks up to your farm and decides to eat and live with you. You are dead.
If a player picks too much of your berry bushes you can't make compost and then your population drops.
If a player leaves a carrot in soil too long for it to become a seed you lose that soil and your population drops.
If a player eats your seeding carrots you cant plant enough carrots for next time and your population drops.
If too many reeds are used up you stagnant and lose compost and your population drops.

Its not impossible to make a sustainable village so good luck.
And remember soil is dead.

Last edited by rosden (2018-03-10 11:00:55)

#2 2018-03-09 13:27:45

Gauteamus

Re: Looking at the viability of sustainable farms to build villages.

rosden wrote:

And remember soil is dead.

Tech question (too lazy/unskilled to browse the recipe files) :
How frequent does a partially filled fertile soil pit regenerate?
How frequent does a completely empty fertile soil pit regenerate, if at all?

How frequent do wild carrots regenerate seeds?

Might it be more robust to have a carrot farm rely on a steady influx of external soil and seeds (preferably as well as compost)?

EDIT: hats off to you building that farm from scratch, respect! (You must have had a nice supply of wild berries, though?)

Last edited by Gauteamus (2018-03-09 13:29:25)

#3 2018-03-09 13:42:02

rosden

soil doesn't regenerate. you can only get new soil from compost. Carrot seeds are not the problem in this farm but technically they can slightly lift the load.
Using full wild Berry bushes would be the best option but you will be using those as food while building the farm or someone else is going to be eating them to.

And I actually had a dying farms food supply that I used to support me with berry bushes as well.

Last edited by rosden (2018-03-09 13:42:39)

#4 2018-03-09 14:13:52

ned

I believe this is the next logical step that Jason had in mind, making berries worth more food than carrots. In order for a successful village to begin, we can't be a monoculture and focus solely on carrots. I had limited success on one life by transitioning more to rabbits and berries from only carrots.

Did you find the clothing in the village too? I imagine that probably made it easier.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#5 2018-03-09 14:26:32

rosden

yes I found them in the village

Collecting rabbits wouldn't have been as productive for me as tending the farm because not only would i need to snare rabbits but also make fire to cook them.
Look maybe even making rabbit and carrot pies could help which would require having a few changes to the farming structure. But that still falls into the problem of losing to many reeds to make compost.

To me as well this was about making a farm that could in the future sustain a larger population and to me rabbits and berries won't do that.

Last edited by rosden (2018-03-09 14:29:06)

#6 2018-03-09 14:35:45

ned

Right. Sorry, I see that now.

I didn't mean that rabbits were viable and sustainable in the long run, I definitely agree with you there. I was referring to the initial struggle to survive, when you're a hapless Eve first dropped into the vicious snare of Eden.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#7 2018-03-09 15:19:41

Potjeh

Wouldn't it make more sense to just pack valuables in wheelbarrows and move to a fresh area once soil runs out? Seems less resource intensive than making compost.

#8 2018-03-09 15:23:17

rosden

all that does is spread the problem. Fresh spawns will have to travel even further away to just start making farms. it is not the best solution.

#9 2018-03-09 15:24:40

Potjeh

Won't they spawn at the new location though? Especially if you trash everything you're not bringing with you.

#10 2018-03-09 15:32:41

rosden

I dont believe so. but even with spawning being that way if everyone does this then a lot of players will fall behind the soil use and the players don't know which direction will lead them to more soil.

#11 2018-03-09 15:41:35

Potjeh

So you respawn a couple of times until you luck into a good village. That's kinda already happening as it is.

#12 2018-03-09 15:54:16

jord1990

Potjeh wrote:

So you respawn a couple of times until you luck into a good village. That's kinda already happening as it is.

If new players luck into a good village they usually destroy it on accident within 10-15 min.

#13 2018-03-09 15:55:07

rosden

yes but eves will still be screwed in my opinion and villages can always fail. Which is why i would like to keep soil alive and have a solution if there is barely any soil around.

#14 2018-03-09 15:58:27

Potjeh

Eves should still spawn near these new settlements if I'm not mistaken. And they have a good chance of picking the right direction to go if they just choose one randomly.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-03-09 15:58:40)

#15 2018-03-09 16:30:26

Twinsen

Nice post, I think we all need to chip in for the data once we are able to do some one-man-farmer and test things out.

#16 2018-03-09 20:07:04

Gauteamus

So, the sad thing is that berry bushes wither and fail?

If I am the last of the Giants, and feel my strenght ebbing, I can always leave carrot fields dry and seeded, and wheat fields grown, and those two resources will be there once a new Eve drops by.
The berry bushes might have dried out and died by the time someone revisits the farm, though.
How many epochs does it take for a berry bush to die from lack of water from watered state?

Maybe we need a new tenet?
"Prioritise watering domestic bushes, even at the prize of your life"

#17 2018-03-09 21:32:25

Matok

Gauteamus wrote:

So, the sad thing is that berry bushes wither and fail?

I think the bushes will be ok if they have some berries on them.

Only evidence I have is that the 'dry gooseberry bush' comes from a 'languishing domestic gooseberry bush' which I believe is the one with no berries on it, and not from the 'domestic gooseberry bush' which is the one that does, and I see nothing that will turn a bush into a languishing bush that is based on time, only picking the berries does that.

Should be pretty simple to test. If you leave a berry on one and watch it for as long as you can and it never dries out, fairly safe to say that they won't dry out with berries on them.

However, I'm betting that the berries do not regrow unless you empty the bush and rewater it, so the rule should be:

If you eat the last berry, fetch water for the bush.

This can also be taken to mean, don't munch the last berry and then kill over dead from old age before you have a chance to water the plant. If you're old, keep your wrinkly old hands off that last berry.

Last edited by Matok (2018-03-09 21:36:49)

#18 2018-03-09 22:36:29

Gauteamus

that is good news, Matok

#19 2018-03-10 01:39:10

Zodzby

Where do you even get reeds from? Around the ponds?

#20 2018-03-10 02:19:50

Antarys

Just to get this straight, the carrot plot dies if the carrots on it bloom? If you get the carrot before blooming, you are good to use it indefinitely?

#21 2018-03-10 02:39:14

TLyon

Antarys wrote:

Just to get this straight, the carrot plot dies if the carrots on it bloom? If you get the carrot before blooming, you are good to use it indefinitely?

Yes

#22 2018-03-10 02:43:57

Antarys

Jesus, how I'm going to explain that to noobs. People will forget 1 carrot and it will bloom killing the plot. The situation can go bad really fast.

#23 2018-03-10 02:50:26

Left4twenty

Just saw a very solid farm going.  Two plots to seed kept a good 6-8 plots for food going, was beside a good 4-8 ponds and the lady there and me could likely have kept going a kid each, I starved like an idiot though.  That run out of the every other one starving naked and afraid made me hopeful

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#24 2018-03-10 03:25:43

jord1990

with the changes of getting 3 fertile soil from each compost and being able to use seeds twice it should now be allot more possible to use small farms to sustain a population of 4-6 people. Which is a step back but it will atleast give you a chance to teach the new ones.

#25 2018-03-10 08:59:58

Gitmo

Seems there was a huge carrot boom in the past week, now we just need a composting boom, learn the skill and pass it on. Learn, practice, and use it in mass.

Board footer