One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-17 01:09:21

willfrank84

Better keys needed, also add ways to remove chests, marked graves

Honestly, 10 keys really is insufficient. Would be nice to build an ancient walls building with a locked door and feel it is secure. Even if you put multiple doors all someone has to do is make a few keys. If each key had a 4 digit code it would be near impossible to guess the combination. Also, griefers love to block or remove doors with lame items like chests, marked graves, that cannot be removed. What sense is that? Oh my castle is no longer accessible because someone put a chest in the doorway. Oh well. Make marked graves so you can walk on them and chests so you can dismantle.

#2 2018-08-17 09:28:29

Trick

Re: Better keys needed, also add ways to remove chests, marked graves

willfrank84 wrote:

Honestly, 10 keys really is insufficient. Would be nice to build an ancient walls building with a locked door and feel it is secure. Even if you put multiple doors all someone has to do is make a few keys. If each key had a 4 digit code it would be near impossible to guess the combination. Also, griefers love to block or remove doors with lame items like chests, marked graves, that cannot be removed. What sense is that? Oh my castle is no longer accessible because someone put a chest in the doorway. Oh well. Make marked graves so you can walk on them and chests so you can dismantle.

Why would we want to make it so that buildings can never be accessed by the town?

What happens if you build it, lock it with your 4 digit code, and then forget?  Then you just have a giant building wasting space and hoarding stuff from others.

Personally, I don't think we should be able to lock doors at all.  All it does is deny access to other players. Boxes?  Sure - you can safely keep knives, etc..  But doors?  You end up removing a bunch of space, resources, and render the area useless.  Sure, you might be able to figure out what the key is, but then you now have a dangerous building that, if you don't have the key, can become your murder jail.

#3 2018-08-17 14:17:09

Redram

Perhaps if a locked door is not used for a certain irl number of hours it becomes an 'aged' door?  And at that point an axe can be used to destroy it.  Surely after a number of lifetimes pass and the door has not been used, it could be assumed the key is lost?

#4 2018-08-17 15:11:47

willfrank84

I play a lot on small servers with populations less than 10 so players can respawn in the same town repeatedly. In that case the code can easily be shared and remembered. If you can't remember a 4 digit code....you got issues. It's not hard to write it down. I would agree it would make less sense in more randomly populated servers. I've played a lot of games where a single player or group of players owns a structure and want it protected against thieving/griefing.

#5 2018-08-19 04:58:18

thegolfpantsguy

conclusion: leave it open or you wont be able to access it later...

if you want to play singleplayer, make ur own custom server and you dont even need locks

every locked room makes a griefer has an easier game... (tossing babies, locked medics)
every locked weapon makes a griefer has an easier game... (a griefer can always build a weapon.. just takes mins to make a bow...and a griefer has enough time to make it, cause he plans the attack,
but you are the ones that need a weapon AVAILABLE for defending)

#6 2018-08-19 05:13:18

Tarr
Banned

There's nothing currently in game that 100% needs locked up. Weapons? People need knives and will continue to make them whether you lock up one, ten, or a hundred. Food? I'm sure all those starving people don't need those pies you left.

Ten keys are fine for now I'd personally be more worried about things you cannot remove from in front of doors (Rose bushes, chests, etc.)

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer