One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 01:53:51

Matok

Priorities

I feel like there is a lack of proper priorities causing major inefficiency.

The obvious priority is food, because you die in seconds if you don't eat when you're young, but this gives you the false impression that securing a food source is the #1 priority and everything else is secondary. Carrot farming is a delicate balance for villages that very often gets out of balance and ends in a famine, and there is a very good reason why this is happening. A lot of people are still tending the fields while butt naked.

When your temp is close to perfect, your food bar decreases over 3 times slower than when you're naked. Another way to say this is, if you're wearing nothing, you cost the village 3 peoples worth of food. 6 people in a village where only half of them are wearing a full set of clothes will need food for 12. Now look at some of the villages where there are 5 naked kids running around and it makes sense why things go to heck in a woven basket so quickly. Those 5 kids need 15 peoples worth of food to survive, and a carrot is more than what their tiny little stomach can even contain, so some of the food value gets wasted.

It is worth it to prioritize clothing. Have a look around to see what is laying on the ground and grab it and put it on. If you see thread and fur, make something and wear it, even if it is just a loincloth. I very often get born into villages and find materials laying about that can be made into clothing but no one is paying it any mind and the villagers are running around with not even a single loincloth among them.

#2 2018-03-09 02:07:50

Uncle Gus

Re: Priorities

Yes, clothing should be priority number one.

1. Clothing is permanent, so crafting it helps society as a whole.
2. Clothing preserves food.
3. Trapping rabbits provides food, so you are not sacrificing food over clothing.

#3 2018-03-09 02:10:56

asterlea

I think this is going to become even more relevant with today's update. Carrot farming will require composting to be sustainable now, which will make it harder to get up and running reliably. The good thing about trapping rabbits though, is that they do provide some food along with pelts for clothes, so it's not like you're completely sacrificing food production going that route.

#4 2018-03-09 02:23:19

Antarys

I agree with clothes being a good priority off the gate. But starting from 0, making a trap, making thread, going on the rabbit hunt is also a heck of a job that soo mnay players still do not know. In fact, milkweed is probably the biggest block to anyone wanting to make clothes. It takes a lot of work to make a Milkweed farm, and can only be used once every 60 years. Few people see the fruit of their labor hehe.

An item I would suggest is a small easy to be made pouch that can contain 1 item and that you can put on your back. This would close the gap between starting from 0 and having a backpack in the tech tree. It would also help put a useful tool or food when you go on a quick exploration, or to bring alone a sharp stone to make a basket, etc.

#5 2018-03-09 02:44:03

Matok

Yeah, milkweed is the bottleneck, which means it is also a fairly high priority, maybe more so than a carrot farm because you can survive off of the rabbits and random berries you come across while you're out trapping and searching for milkweed plants, and if you're feeding and clothing yourself while scrounging up the materials for clothing, your burden to the village farmers is 0.

We need more trappers. And pants... definitely more pants.

I don't want to see your junk people!

#6 2018-03-09 02:55:54

KewlCrayon

I seem to spend most of my lives trapping and making clothing. I always found most villages are lacking tailors, while there are many farmers, and many people just running around (because they're new to the game and not sure what to do), and alot of people spending too much time at the forge trying to figure it out. If the tools have already been forged... YOU DONT NEED TO FORGE ANYMORE.

Heres how it should be played:
You are born.
If theres a fire nearby, sit on the fire and dont move.
The more you move and the colder you are, the faster you go hungry.

Spend your early childhood picking baskets and replanting fields, dont just run around doing your own thing. Someone took the time to raise you and feed you, you contribute you little shit.
Spend your later childhood on water runs and rabbit trapping runs, WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO RUN. Dont know how many toddlers that walk that I see wandering around the woods wasting precious resources

Once you are an adult, you should have an idea of where your camp needs more filling.
Maybe you should till some farms, gather more soils
Maybe forge some items if needed
If you're naked, and your fellow villagers are naked, craft some clothing.

Dont run off into the wilds to die if you're fully geared. Leave your stuff to the next generation.

Also some other things:
-Dont drain the pools
-If you drained them, refill them with water
-designate some carrots and "unpickables" so they fruit into flowers
-Pick the milkweek when its FRUITING so it grows back
-Dont kill the Bunny unless it has a baby... No baby... NO FUTURE GENERATIONS

#7 2018-03-09 03:33:07

yvanhooe

Other tidbits:

- Create a fire near the nursery. Careful: too close to a strong fire while clothed will consume more food too. Explain to children that being in front of the big fire is a bad idea.

- I wish more people knew that wooden floor helps at not being cold. Crafting should happen on wooden floor if possible.

- In the last few games, my main source of clothing has been corpses. Take some time to explore around, especially if there is a road nearby. Last game I was like "Fuck it, I want to see the world a bit" I filled a basket of carrots and headed away naked. I thought I would be a net loss for the community. 15 minutes later I come back, fully clothed with a cart full of threads and additional clothing that I found in an abandoned camp where milkweed was growing untended.

We reach a point where scavenging is a serious option. There are probably more clothing sets in the server now (I don't think they disappear with time?) than there are players online. Find them, store them.

#8 2018-03-09 04:47:37

Phate

Scratch all that, get a bow and arrow first, if you get well fed and things are going well, some rando will show up with a bow and kill off
your whole family in seconds.  After you got that on hand, then do the other things.  Cause preparing for the future starts with
stopping the trolls more than making sure the next generation has a better life, because more often than not,  if you are doing well
and everything seems fine, that is when they strike.

#9 2018-03-09 05:05:59

Antarys

Phate wrote:

Scratch all that, get a bow and arrow first, if you get well fed and things are going well, some rando will show up with a bow and kill off
your whole family in seconds.  After you got that on hand, then do the other things.  Cause preparing for the future starts with
stopping the trolls more than making sure the next generation has a better life, because more often than not,  if you are doing well
and everything seems fine, that is when they strike.

I feel we will need a way to stop this from happing. Yesterday someone killed 10 people in my village with the only knife we had, just like that, everything was gone. One other game, someone started to eat all the carrots, then took a bow to kill someone before we could kill her. Thanks god we don't have guns yet, a bow only has 1 arrow and is clumsy to recharge.

#10 2018-03-09 05:09:27

asterlea

Keep knives and arrows in a backpack that someone's wearing, that way griefers can't use your own weapons against you.

Board footer