One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-09 18:45:13

Sassbre
New User

Reaching Big Bell Town Impossible

What is the point to a big bell it is impossible to reach in the length of the player lifetime. I tried twice once by foot got just over half way ended up running into a wild animal and died.

Tried again thinking a horse might be better still no luck still took a lot of travel time and still only managed to get over half way until horse ran over a snake RIP don't think I would have made it before i aged anyway.

#2 2018-08-09 19:27:06

Trick

Re: Reaching Big Bell Town Impossible

Sassbre wrote:

What is the point to a big bell it is impossible to reach in the length of the player lifetime. I tried twice once by foot got just over half way ended up running into a wild animal and died.

Tried again thinking a horse might be better still no luck still took a lot of travel time and still only managed to get over half way until horse ran over a snake RIP don't think I would have made it before i aged anyway.

I have only made it 3000K with a horse in one lifetime (before the horse died from a snake bite).  This took a significant amount of time (like... maybe 20 minutes or so).  With that experience, I decided 5000K with a horse starting at a very young age, and being very careful, is plausible.  2000K by foot.  Anything more than that, you're spending most of your life just walking and get to do absolutely nothing else, or you'll never get there.

#3 2018-08-09 20:18:13

CynderR

I spent an entire life running towards a bell and died of old age. This was before the update to distance bell towers sound traveled.
I knew i was still far away because running north or west did not change the direction of the compass. But I'm wondering how you figured out you were over half way?

#4 2018-08-09 20:30:21

Tarr
Banned

Took me like twenty five minutes to get to a bell tower 8.1K tiles away on horse. Probably could have been done a little cleaner but having to dodge loads of snakes/wolves/boars makes long distance travel a pain. I wouldn't recommend going for anything >5k on horse and I certainly wouldn't recommend going to one >3k on foot.

Used to be able to use bell towers to attract feral eves into a city but I've only ever been able to reach a bell tower three or four times in six hundred hours of play.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-08-09 20:40:04

Turnipseed

Before the distance update i tryed a ''multi generational" run i made a basket with a sharp stone and food then ran as soon as i grew hair. Ran as far as i could only stopping for food or rope. I had 4 kids(not counting suicides) 3 of them girls i explained to them what i wanted to do. Gave them my skirt, sealskin, and basket and off they went. I died of old age still running. None of them made it

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#6 2018-08-09 20:46:49

Trick

Just spent that last half hour trying to make it to a bell on a horse.  Literally got to the outskirts of the city and died of starvation.  Traveled 6K.

*sigh*

#7 2018-08-09 21:18:30

West

Traveled 8K on foot, made it at 57 years old.
Found some dead bodys with gear on the way, maybe others tried or there were more villages.

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#8 2018-08-09 21:34:15

PeaGirl

I was born in some family that was setting up a camp temporarily at 1,4k distance or such. They were suggesting their kids to run towards the bell since there were way too many of them popping up. We tried to keep a decent camp for few people to be able to sustain a small lifestyle. Not sure if those kids who ran there ever managed to get there alive. But I have never really even thought of trying to run towards bell. More fun to do stuff for evolving camp than running endlessly toward something you probably never see. (no matter how much I miss that bell city I was helping build too.)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#9 2018-08-11 00:57:42

Mark_W

On a horse I foudna rough guide was 1k every 3 minutes

#10 2018-08-11 01:55:48

Auner

Mark_W wrote:

On a horse I foudna rough guide was 1k every 3 minutes

so about 20k in 60 min?

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#11 2018-08-11 14:09:02

marsrider
Website

Guys, you mention that you travel 3/5/8k in x minutes, how do you calculate the distance? How do you know you made 8k?

What's the most cruel sight you can see on OHOL? A bloody baby torn apart by a grizzly bear.

I'm Eve Planet, my children are usually called by planet names (Mars, Venus, Saturn etc), also Sun, Moon. Jedi, Joda and Skywalker are usually in the mix as well.

#12 2018-08-11 14:15:11

tana

because you see it on the marker, the distances decreases if you run towards it and increases if you run away from it

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#13 2018-08-11 14:15:50

marsrider
Website

Ahh, the bell tower marker, regular ones doesn't have the distance. Thanks, make sense!

What's the most cruel sight you can see on OHOL? A bloody baby torn apart by a grizzly bear.

I'm Eve Planet, my children are usually called by planet names (Mars, Venus, Saturn etc), also Sun, Moon. Jedi, Joda and Skywalker are usually in the mix as well.

#14 2018-08-11 14:28:59

Kailied

There's a way to get there, but only as an eve.
If you spawn as eve and get this, just die of old age, you don't have to run anywhere.
You will spawn there for your next eve spawn, and can keep spawning there so long as you die of old age over and over.
You're welcome. smile
Edit: "Your next eve spawn" does not necessarily have to be your next login, just the next time you are eve, so you can be born to someone in between as well.

Last edited by Kailied (2018-08-11 14:30:02)

#15 2018-08-11 16:56:04

Sassbre
New User

You need factor in that you can't ride a horse in the early stages of your life but need to be in the early stages of adult, then you need to have a horse and the saddle to ride this can take time depending on the luck of your spawn village. But yes you can make it if you get a very early start but itd be at the end of your life cycle completely nullifying reasons for travelling you will rock up to a new town and die or be to old to produce kids or contribute much.

Every town iv been to has tried building a bell tower straight away, reasons i get given are when town is dead from griefers killing all the women or just generally town stupidity being the cause, say ring the bell hopefully russle up a stray eve, most often then not now when i spawn in bells ring 5-9k away. Its still a bit far.

Board footer