One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 21:18:11

Potjeh

[Suggestion]Flax and beans

I've noticed that the rarest thing in most settlements is thread, so most people run around naked. I guess the main problem is that milkweed is too easy to exterminate accidentally. I think it's fine for fresh settlements so I wouldn't buff milkweed, but instead I think established villages need a more reliable crop for growing their own thread. Flax is one of the earliest crops humans cultivated, so it's the logical choice. It can also have additional functionality with it's seeds which are edible and are also used for making oil IRL (could be used for some higher tech stuff in the game). I'm thinking flax should work like wheat, ie deplete the soil, to not make it too easy, but it should have a decent yield, maybe two threads and two seeds per patch. And impossible to harvest at the wrong time, pretty please.

Speaking of soil depletion, I think it's a bit silly we have to keep refilling wheat fields with fresh fertile soil, we'd get huge mounds in just a couple of harvests tongue. Instead I think it'd be cool if instead of disappearing tilled soil turned into fallow tilled soil. Fallow could still be turned to fertile by dumping fertile soil, but we could also restore it via crop rotation. And that's where beans come in, because they're used IRL for binding nitrogen into the soil. The beans themselves should have mediocre yield and require cooking to eat (needs a whole boiling water tech tree), so they don't become *the* food crop, their main use should be soil restoration. Additionally, soil could be refertilised with manure, but I'm not sure if excrement in general is off the table.

#2 2018-03-08 21:32:03

Gauteamus

Re: [Suggestion]Flax and beans

Hey, Potjeh smile
I find the scarcity of milkweed to be a genious part of the game, how you feel like a millionaire when you as Eve can see 4-5 milkweeds! on the same screen! Milkweed should probably respawn in the timeframe of RL days, though, so sad with the wastelands.
Not against a higher tech source of thread, though, if done tastefully, but please keep the excrement off the tables in general!

#3 2018-03-09 00:03:01

Twinsen

First of all, I am also not against higher tech source of thread either. There's no doubt that the wheat production is weird in against the reality where the five agricultural revolutionary crops are being "nerfed" in the game.

However, I always tell people to read the following article, Everything Runs Out, whenever people suggesting more and more resources... in other words, Jason has a point to make for this game and it's all about scarcity and limited resources. I am sure Jason absolutely know about flax and beans but he probably always keeps this philosophy in mind whenever he introduces new items.

#4 2018-03-09 11:40:29

Gauteamus

Looks like your beans and crops rotation suggestion got alot more appealing with carrots not being a closed system anymore.

Board footer