One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-30 11:19:53

pennedgalaxy

If you don't have a last name here's a tip for giving your kids one

Too many times since the naming update have I been born to a woman without a last name and whilst her instinct to name me is commendable don't name your kid if you have family members with the last name around. Let those family members name your kid so that they recieve the last name! This is especially important for your girl kids because they'll be able to pass that name down again!

Last names are very important especially for pin point accuracy with the curse feature so do everyone a solid and keep the last name going for both lineage purposes as well as being able curse more easily, most people aren't going to remember if Tom the griefer is Tom III or Tom II, but most people remember someone with a last name!

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#2 2018-07-30 12:57:47

PunkyFickle

Re: If you don't have a last name here's a tip for giving your kids one

Hm... I do agree for the curse thing (even though I wouldn't accord it much importance -Heresy to the forums!-), but what actually matters, at least to me, are the family trees, which are not affected by names, as far as I know. I'd rather have a name to be interacted with that none for having waited for an hypothetical named relative.

#3 2018-07-30 13:01:27

pennedgalaxy

PunkyFickle wrote:

Hm... I do agree for the curse thing (even though I wouldn't accord it much importance -Heresy to the forums!-), but what actually matters, at least to me, are the family trees, which are not affected by names, as far as I know. I'd rather have a name to be interacted with that none for having waited for an hypothetical named relative.

If there's no named relatives around that are easily accessible after a little while, it's fine to name your kids. But I'd say it's better waiting since people can now named nearby nameless people who can't be picked up anymore, anyone can do it just by going 'you are Toby' which gives the nearest nameless to you a name, but no last name, essentially what your mother would've accomplished to begin with. So benefit wise waiting really is the best way to go if you can.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#4 2018-07-30 13:25:05

annjust

@pennedgalaxy
Is this a new update? I think I can't give last name to a no relation baby month ago.

#5 2018-07-30 13:48:10

pennedgalaxy

annjust wrote:

@pennedgalaxy
Is this a new update? I think I can't give last name to a no relation baby month ago.

The update is like 3 weeks old: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 50cc73bb88

#6 2018-07-30 14:39:51

annjust

"An unnamed person who is older than baby age can be named by anyone nearby, but they will never have a last name."

Pennedgalaxy how does this do, if the nameless is older than baby, we can't hold him/her,
how to name?

#7 2018-07-30 14:43:52

Xan

You stand close to the person and say "you are ..." just like a baby. I know it works because I had to ask my uncle to name me once when my mom died young. He didn't think it would work but I got named. We stood on the same square. IDK if you have to be that close though.

#8 2018-07-30 14:49:08

annjust

Xan wrote:

You stand close to the person and say "you are ..." just like a baby. I know it works because I had to ask my uncle to name me once when my mom died young. He didn't think it would work but I got named. We stood on the same square. IDK if you have to be that close though.

That's really cool! I will try it, just met a killer today, he is nameless, I should know the update earlier then I could curse him.

Last edited by annjust (2018-07-30 14:50:25)

#9 2018-08-02 05:52:42

elpargo

shouldn't the tutorial have a block for naming yourself and your babies and why it's important?

#10 2018-08-02 06:19:07

LaughAtlantis

elpargo wrote:

shouldn't the tutorial have a block for naming yourself and your babies and why it's important?

It does.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

Board footer