One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-20 23:54:44

FeignedSanity

It's that time again, time for another thought :P

So Jason has kind of been getting rid of the "don't do that's". He has already gotten rid of well draining and mostly gotten rid of "never pick unfruiting milkweed". This got me thinking of other "don't do that's", and I landed on rabbits. You're never supposed to snare a single rabbit, only rabbit family's. So I was thinking about what a solution might be, and I came up with the ability to "regrow" rabbits, so to speak.

So your kid tells you he's going to go snare some rabbits. Fair enough, he probably knows what he's doing. Then you notice that abandoned rabbit holes are starting to appear. You can sit here and explain to him that "you're not supposed to snare single rabbit families", but the damage has been done. So how could we fix this?

Well here is a thought that I believe would be easy to implement. When you snare rabbit, there is a 10 second window between it being caught and finally breathing it's last and collapsing on the ground. This could be changed to a 5 second window, and instead add a 5 second transition afterward where you could pick up the rabbit. Let's call this "tame snared rabbit" (as far as the sprite, it could just look like "rabbit hole - out"; but it would have the snare around it like a snared rabbit); where it's no longer fighting and has accepted it's fate, but hasn't quite yet left the world of the living. You could take this rabbit, put it in an abandoned hole, and it would no longer be abandoned (it can start the one hour process of going from "rabbit hole - growing" to "rabbit hole - hiding,single".)

The next thought is, what happens if you don't have an abandoned hole to put it in? Well you could do one of two things. You could put it back in it's hole, or you could put it on the ground. The latter is my preferred option, but it requires more work. Let's say you can just set it on the ground, what happens to it now? Although I know some people would enjoy having a pet rabbit, it would be pointless. You need it for it's skin and meat. Additionally, I don't think any special means should be required to kill it, it was never even meant to be alive in the first place. It should really just die anyway.

The next thought is that now you're essentially buffing rabbit hunting, which is not the intention. People would just pick it up as soon as it's tame, and save themselves 5 seconds. So they need a reason to not pick it up unless they're using it for it's original intention of "regrowing" rabbits. So I suggest that you give it movement; not anything special, just regular movement will do. If you want to make it's movement cycle faster, or change how it moves, that's fine but not really necessary. Let's say it lives like this for some time (let's say a minute) until it dies. This means that you're no longer saving 5 seconds, you're wasting a whole minute and now have the potential of losing track of it, if you're not willing to follow it around.

I feel like this change is effectively the same as the milkweed change. While it is possible to completely destroy either of them, you can still travel off to a new biome and essentially regrow what was destroyed due to negligence.

Okay now, thoughts?

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2018-07-21 01:50:08

Anshin

Re: It's that time again, time for another thought :P

*Applause*

#3 2018-07-21 02:23:27

Cecil

I don't have a strong feeling about it, just thought I'd mention a thing. Rabbit hunting has that 19th century beaver hunting feel to it though. That is to say, it's not a long term solution, just something you do to get by, and at the end the population of the hunted creature is a mess.

Meanwhile, all the fancy folk are shepherding or cotton farming, and wearing rich people clothes.

#4 2018-07-21 02:41:46

YAHG

Just put a 2 hour timer for abandoned ones to respawn.

That or push up the rabbit hutch update that you mentioned.

On another note I am super jealous that you have such a high cycle time between your thoughts.. mine are always pestering me.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-07-21 08:38:13

JonySky
Website

it is necessary to improve the animal farms in general, and of course, to implement the farm rabbits ... on the way to implement cows, chickens ... and give them much more use (cheeses, milk, eggs ...)

#6 2018-07-21 09:08:16

Trick

Put a carrot at the base of the rabbit hole, and a new family spawns in an hour.

#7 2018-07-21 09:29:03

Ti

Trick wrote:

Put a carrot at the base of the rabbit hole, and a new family spawns in an hour.

I love it.

#8 2018-07-21 09:50:17

The_Llamacorn

I think this is a really good idea but you should also be able to have pet rabbits. You could farm them like with sheep and kill and eat them and use the fur, people used to do that back in the day so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it in OHOL.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#9 2018-07-21 11:46:09

third.eye

@OP

onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=406

#10 2018-07-21 17:17:32

FeignedSanity

YAHG wrote:

Just put a 2 hour timer for abandoned ones to respawn.

That or push up the rabbit hutch update that you mentioned.

On another note I am super jealous that you have such a high cycle time between your thoughts.. mine are always pestering me.

But my way is more fun tongue Would also like to know more about "rabbit hutch update".

And believe me, there's no need to be jealous. The high cycle time only applies to the thoughts I feel like sharing. The world is not ready for all of my thoughts, and I'm certainly not willing to share XD

#11 2018-07-21 17:19:17

FeignedSanity

third.eye wrote:

@OP

onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=406

Oh please, no one uses this. It's largely neglected and Jason has even said himself that he only uses it when he's looking for what to work on next and that he already knows what needs to be worked on. Besides, this (like all of my thoughts) is not offered as a suggestion, just as a point of discussion.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-21 17:20:05)

#12 2018-07-21 17:21:39

FeignedSanity

Cecil wrote:

I don't have a strong feeling about it, just thought I'd mention a thing. Rabbit hunting has that 19th century beaver hunting feel to it though. That is to say, it's not a long term solution, just something you do to get by, and at the end the population of the hunted creature is a mess.

Meanwhile, all the fancy folk are shepherding or cotton farming, and wearing rich people clothes.

Dang, I need to get me one of those Sheepskin backpacks. They sound like they're super fancy.

#13 2018-07-21 17:24:14

FeignedSanity

Ti wrote:
Trick wrote:

I love it.

But I mean, at that point, why waste the carrot? Why not just put it on a 2 hour respawn timer like YAHG mentioned?

I just personally find my idea much more interesting.

#14 2018-07-21 17:30:35

FeignedSanity

The_Llamacorn wrote:

I think this is a really good idea but you should also be able to have pet rabbits. You could farm them like with sheep and kill and eat them and use the fur, people used to do that back in the day so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it in OHOL.

Yeah, I knew that was probably coming; even mentioned it in the original post XD

As far as farming them, there's really just no reason to. I mean, I guess if you're far from the savannah. But they are very different from the standard animals you can domesticate. I mean, they're basically set up as a farm right now; you just can't choose the farm location.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2018-07-21 17:32:27)

#15 2018-07-21 17:33:05

startafight

it be nice to have low fences for things like geese n rabbits too. something an adult can walk over but keeps animals or babies trapped

#16 2018-07-21 17:33:12

FeignedSanity

Anshin wrote:

*Applause*

*bows*

#17 2018-07-21 17:40:13

The_Llamacorn

FeignedSanity wrote:
The_Llamacorn wrote:

Yeah, I knew that was probably coming; even mentioned it in the original post XD

As far as farming them, there's really just no reason to. I mean, I guess if you're far from the savannah. But they are very different from the standard animals you can domesticate. I mean, they're basically set up as a farm right now; you just can't choose the farm location.

I don't see why you shouldn't? It's a bit of a waste of time just having to run to the savannah all the time to get rabbit fur. And the fur is very important to make backpacks and water pouches. And if it's far away it'll take a while to get back and forth.

And what do you mean you "mentioned it in the original post", all you mentioned there were pet rabbits and I'm talking about farming them for their fur and meat and killing them off like with sheep?

Last edited by The_Llamacorn (2018-07-21 18:41:59)

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#18 2018-07-21 18:12:58

FeignedSanity

The_Llamacorn wrote:

Well you said the exact words "pet rabbits". I know you did add the bit about farming but I was more making a joke of the fact you said "pet rabbits" tongue

But to get to the serious matter; first off, rabbits spawn in savanna, not desert. Second, I never said they shouldn't. Unlike most people on the forums, I try to avoid claiming to know exactly what this game needs to do or needs to avoid doing. I just merely said there's not really a reason to.

I was saying that rabbits are already pretty much set up as a farm in the first place, you just can't choose the farm location. Although, I do admit that it would be nice to be able to move the rabbit farm. However, on the other hand, I feel like that takes away some of the challenge and nuance. They kind of feel like water, iron veins, or trees. If you could uproot all of these and put them wherever, then it doesn't really matter where you set up. I guess now it's just a matter of whether you think that's good or bad.

#19 2018-07-21 18:38:38

Alf

startafight wrote:

it be nice to have low fences for things like geese n rabbits too. something an adult can walk over but keeps animals or babies trapped

Trapping babies that is what I like

#20 2018-07-21 18:41:34

The_Llamacorn

FeignedSanity wrote:
The_Llamacorn wrote:

Well you said the exact words "pet rabbits". I know you did add the bit about farming but I was more making a joke of the fact you said "pet rabbits" tongue

But to get to the serious matter; first off, rabbits spawn in savanna, not desert. Second, I never said they shouldn't. Unlike most people on the forums, I try to avoid claiming to know exactly what this game needs to do or needs to avoid doing. I just merely said there's not really a reason to.

I was saying that rabbits are already pretty much set up as a farm in the first place, you just can't choose the farm location. Although, I do admit that it would be nice to be able to move the rabbit farm. However, on the other hand, I feel like that takes away some of the challenge and nuance. They kind of feel like water, iron veins, or trees. If you could uproot all of these and put them wherever, then it doesn't really matter where you set up. I guess now it's just a matter of whether you think that's good or bad.

Well, it is (basically) a life simulation after all and you can make a rabbit farm irl so why not in game. But Jason is god in OHOL so that depends on if he wants to make it a thing. And now you're just being picky with the desert thing, I don't feel like you had to point that out.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

Board footer