One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-08 01:42:26

ElderSophia

On Farms and Berries

Hey guys I'm seeing a lot of people standing around yelling at everyone to stop eating X row while the rest of the farm is seed bare or planted but dry, often with full pouches and even seeds within arms reach. It doesn't matter if seeds are from top/bottom/skid row, it is vital to keep the farm moving along so we don't lose precious time. I've raised a few ghost farms from the dead now only to return in a following life to encounter the same thing.

Time is of the essence!

See empty plot? Seed it!

Dry? Water! (always have a source nearby, be they bowls or pouch baskets)

No water/seeds in sight? Grab a basket and get to it! (make sure there aren't a half dozen seeds scattered all over the ground nearby) Or give out tasks. While they're just sitting there spamming for food let the babies around the fire know what's needed so when they're big they get right to work. Many want to know but haven't advanced speech enough to ask.

Also, I've noticed some talk about whether or not berries regrow? They definitely regrow. Found a ghost farm to busy myself at with a single 3 berry bush in the middle and I ate the 3rd berry from it 3 times in one lifetime while I was retrieving water and such. That being said, I'm wondering if there's overlap on the timers between a plucked berry and the one that pops in to replace it? Does the one on the ground ever disappear? In my travels I've started to occasionally pluck one (only from full bushes) to leave on the ground. I figure if there's some overlap or it stays maybe a lucky traveler can find an extra snack. smile
Anyway just some thoughts. Most important is that you're having fun. Thanx all and see you in game! big_smile <3

ElderSophia

PS: Something to consider with the top row for seeds rule. Decades of our squishy little lives are being shaved off by all this travel up and down. Just something to ponder over. smile

#2 2018-03-08 01:51:44

deBeerlax

Re: On Farms and Berries

The easiest way to remedy the "let x row/column go to seed" problem is just eat from the baskets? No food in the baskets? Go get seeds or water the dry plot.

Berries disappear if on the ground as well as your backpack or a basket. I have also noticed that milkweed seeds and berry seeds disappear after a time as well. I haven't spent enough time looking at carrot seeds to see if they disappear though. I always pick a couple carrot seeds and drop them on the ground if I see them in the wild.

#3 2018-03-08 01:55:45

secondchild

As long as my seed garden is separated from the carrots for harvest, I tell my kids: "Never a dry field. Never an unpicked carrot." That said, when I'm getting things going in a 3:4 ratio and there's enough food in reserve, I'll wait one minute after watering the first crop to water the next, and so on. And wait 4 min (roughly when first seed field turns to carrots) to water the next seed field. It slows down the initial output, but establishes a consistent rhythm... otherwise the babies tend to get anxious if they're sitting around waiting for the next harvest.

#4 2018-03-08 02:01:18

secondchild

deBeerlax wrote:

just eat from the baskets?

This is the real solution. I've had good luck with surrounding the farm with baskets of food a couple rows/columns deep so no one ever feels like they need to go into the field to eat. But you gotta keep them full in all directions, if someone wanders in from the south you want them to see a basket of carrots first, not your seed crop.

#5 2018-03-08 02:09:11

ElderSophia

deBeerlax wrote:

The easiest way to remedy the "let x row/column go to seed" problem is just eat from the baskets? No food in the baskets? Go get seeds or water the dry plot.

Berries disappear if on the ground as well as your backpack or a basket. I have also noticed that milkweed seeds and berry seeds disappear after a time as well. I haven't spent enough time looking at carrot seeds to see if they disappear though. I always pick a couple carrot seeds and drop them on the ground if I see them in the wild.

Yeah my mistake for not clarifying. That was what I was referring to. When the baskets start dwindling ppl start standing around waiting for carrots to seed or yelling at ppl who are eating the top row cuz that's all there is instead of getting production moving on the next batch. Sometimes it's as simple as grabbing a basket and wandering the woods for a while so the farm doesn't wipe. I'm mainly referring to how all the typing in these situations seems, at least in my own experience, to be somewhat counter intuitive. I can spend a decade of my little toons life yelling at that Eve to stop eating that row or I can walk two tiles over to the water right off screen and get the half dozen rows of planted dry seeds moving along. Ya know? smile

My observation of wild carrots was why I asked about the berries. I've picked the 2 seeds and left them on the ground and when passing through seen both new seeds on the plant and the ones I dropped still on the ground. If they stay I have left behind fields of carrot seeds just waiting to be discovered. Sometimes I see a familiar field that has a lot more carrots and I wonder if what you throw on the ground encourages growth in the area? But that might just be totally made up in my imagination. lol smile

Last edited by ElderSophia (2018-03-08 02:10:04)

#6 2018-03-08 02:20:53

secondchild

ElderSophia wrote:

Sometimes it's as simple as grabbing a basket and wandering the woods for a while so the farm doesn't wipe.

I've had great success with this when food is getting low, there are seed carrots in the ground, but the crop isn't ready for harvest. If I'm running the show I'll say "Babies! Grab basket, find berries! Next harvest X min. Go! Now. Go go go. GOOO!!!" etc until everyone has fled. That usually clears out camp pretty quick.

Board footer