One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-20 18:26:49

WomanWizard

I made a knife.

I was born the son of an Eve. She didn't seem to know what she was doing. Didn't have tools to make a fire, was farming and planting crops before she had the means to water them. She didn't name herself and she didn't name me, but she picked me up enough times as a baby that I never even had to say F. She kept me alive, which I am very grateful for.

I probably should have helped her, explained what to do, guided her to a better starting location. At first I grabbed a basket and brought some supplies back to her. I'm excellent at surviving in the wild, even as a small child with a tiny stomach. I brought her rope, and I brought her food, but she never used it. She just continued to struggle with her farm.

Yes, I should have helped her, but at that point I had my own mission in mind. I wanted to make a knife.

I'd made knives in the past, but usually in a city that had tools and supplies. I was far from an expert though. Knives are often frowned upon in larger societies, even if they are a necessity. I knew more or less how to do it, but the problem was that I'd never made a file before. I figured, as the son of an Eve who probably wasn't going to set up a lasting camp anyway, now was as good a time as any to learn.

I set myself up on the edge of a desert, not too far from my mom. I could run back occasionally to check on her, I figured, and if she or a daughter of hers found my camp, then good for them. At least there was a chance.

But I made my camp without future generations in mind. I made a snare first and focused on rabbits. I set up the kiln and got to work making bowls and plates for smithing. I cooked omelettes and rabbits and ran and searched for milkweed and iron. I never farmed. The first steel tool I made was a file.

Luckily my mom had already made a bow for some reason, so at least I had a leg up. She was dead at that point, so I helped myself to what little belongings she had.

After making the file I went through the process step by step. It was a little slow as I had to keep the fire going and run further and further for kindling. Had to make more charcoal, had to heat more iron, had to run for more kindling. An ax might have made things a little easier, but I wasn't sure of all the steps to get to a knife, and didn't want to waste what little iron I had.

I was old and grey by the time I did it. Six bars left in my hunger meter, and there I stood, knife in hand. I was so proud. So happy. I had learned something knew, even now, as a player who almost always makes it to old age in all of her lives. I spent the last few years of my life running into the desert to find a snake to kill. I found one. I killed it. I died of old age.

In that entire play through I never even spoke a word.

So for any new players out there: don't be discouraged by the deaths of all your female relatives. Being the last male survivor of a small camp is how I learned to smith early on, and it's how I learned to make a knife just now. It's a great opportunity to experiment without hurting the family. Try new things. Live. Learn.

That is all.

PS. Sorry mom, for not being all that helpful.

#2 2018-07-20 18:36:13

karltown_veteran

Re: I made a knife.

My only daughter died yesterday and we had enough food stockpiled to last for a while so I taught my newish son Fredrik to smith, step by step. Hope he remembers. Also a few months ago as the only survivor and a male I had just learnt to smith but already had a love for the forge. Made a shovel, chisel, split rocks. We must have been not more than third gen but by my late forties I had made a bell tower base and all the tools. (I neglected the farm though big_smile)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2018-07-20 21:55:00

WomanWizard

Re: I made a knife.

karltown_veteran wrote:

My only daughter died yesterday and we had enough food stockpiled to last for a while so I taught my newish son Fredrik to smith, step by step. Hope he remembers. Also a few months ago as the only survivor and a male I had just learnt to smith but already had a love for the forge. Made a shovel, chisel, split rocks. We must have been not more than third gen but by my late forties I had made a bell tower base and all the tools. (I neglected the farm though big_smile)

Yes, I've done this too! Had an Eve run a while back where one of my boys was new. I'm always patient with my new children if I can be. When it was clear my only daughter wasn't returning to camp, I gave him the bad news and we decided instead of both suiciding I would teach him what I could. Showed him how to tend the farm and make backpacks!

His last words were something along the lines of memories that he'd never forget, which I thought was sweet. I wasn't sure how helpful I'd been, but it seems to have had a lasting impression.

Board footer