One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-20 00:26:36

adrian010886

Players who run or quit at birth

I think there should be a penalty for players that run away or quit out of the game right as they spawn. I've had countless bloodlines die out because of this and it hurts my soul to see my last and only daughter quit the game or run off before I even get a chance to pick her up.

#2 2018-07-20 00:40:27

Randomname

Re: Players who run or quit at birth

Did you have other kids that you left?  Could be them reincarnated and super mad at you.

Did you have them out in the wilderness?  They just don't want to be poor.

Honestly it's better they run as babies than starve themselves out or grief when they get older.  Sometimes though if you tell them they are important to you, they may stay. 

Really do not approve of your idea to force them to take a penalty or stay.

#3 2018-07-20 00:44:27

Luniatji

There is another topic about why people run as child.. Maybe you could read that? I only run if my mom is dumb (Today I was looking at a woman who tried to get wheat with a round stone. Twenty times. And never thought "Hey maybe I need to do something else!", she just keeps banging it. I quit.), I don't like a Eve run (For example when mom won't stop pooping out kids, people don't make a camp but every bush in the area is empty. I'm sorry, bye.) or I'm a boy.

#4 2018-07-20 00:46:00

zennyrpg

Just think of it as some babies die young because of illness.  They are more likely to catch that illness if they are born into crappy conditions.

Sorry, but no one can force me to play.  You can only bribe me into playing by setting up a decent camp.

#5 2018-07-20 00:54:33

TheRedBug

How am i supposed to cook stew if you are out in the wilderness and give birth to me?

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#6 2018-07-20 01:36:39

adrian010886

I know its just a game but I like to think that if you're born into a family you should at least try to help and roll with the punches

#7 2018-07-20 03:00:25

Randomname

adrian010886 wrote:

I know its just a game but I like to think that if you're born into a family you should at least try to help and roll with the punches

In an Ideal Game World everyone would be nice, polite and work hard but like Real Life sometimes kids are bad.

#8 2018-07-20 05:15:24

Jk Howling

Frankly I'll suicide if I'm born to an eve most of the time, because usually they're set up in the middle of green or don't know what they're doing.

Sometimes I might stick around if I'm a girl and treat it as a pseudo-eve run, running off when I'm old enough to find a better location. Or I might stick around if it's a decent spot, but that rarely seems to happen with early gens. I also stick around if i'm the only female in town, if only out of pity.

I can understand the frustration, especially if you have a great spot picked out for camp but your children simply suicide upon seeing it isn't set up yet. But I also understand the frustration of being born to the same location time and time again, and really not wanting to be there.

You do have to think, why exactly are they suiciding? Most don't do it just for the heck of it. It's usually because they don't like the situation, whether because of the newness of their mother or the camp/lack thereof, or because they're trying to spawn back in a specific spot, or simply because their male [which is dumb imo but happens.] The best you can do is try to create an atmosphere that's worth sticking around for.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2018-07-20 05:22:46

Neo

Mostly because they too lazy and/or not skilled enough for early gen

People just want advanced towns and cities without wanting to contribute to actually building one.

One thing you can do is name yourself straight away, find that people want to stay with named Eves more often.

Eve camps don't always fail but you gotta be quite lucky if you want to be a successful Eve.  You need a good spot, Enough food for you and your kids to survive pre-farming,  Close to a nice cluster of ponds, nearby to savanna with lots of rabbits and seeds, Middle temp desert tile is convinient also. But even with a good spot you still need good children, preferably a single good daughter who can properly manage kids.

Last edited by Neo (2018-07-20 05:40:26)

#10 2018-07-20 10:52:32

Anshin

I was running off a lot yesterday because I was trying to roll the brown haired white guy because his death portrait is bugged and I wanted to prove it.

I made a thread about it, which was incorrectly moved to fixed bugs:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2955

Mustache guy still doesn't get a portrait!

Aside, I think a lot of people probably run off trying to roll their favorite character.
A character creator (with way more options) would be a wonderful thing!

#11 2018-07-20 12:02:56

AnobeseWalrus

i always ask my kids if they want to stay, if they say no then there is no tears shed when they die. What I do have a problem with is fuckers that run off after 1.5 years. If you say you're gonna stay, then stay dammit!!!

#12 2018-07-20 15:12:58

zennyrpg

AnobeseWalrus wrote:

i always ask my kids if they want to stay, if they say no then there is no tears shed when they die. What I do have a problem with is fuckers that run off after 1.5 years. If you say you're gonna stay, then stay dammit!!!

Yeah if you ask first and they run off after saying they will stay that's bad.

But I've definitely suicided after getting hair and actually seeing the place.  I try to stay at that point, but if the location is really bad then I don't want to waste my time.

#13 2018-07-21 03:25:00

Trick

AnobeseWalrus wrote:

I've done this.  It's usually because I am still trying to evaluate the situation.  If I get old enough and realize we have no food, and/or the camp location is crap, I will off myself.

I personally hate Eve runs (I have played enough times that I have been there done that a billion times before and am not interested in continuing to do it over and over again).  I have to be in a special mood to want to stick around.

#14 2018-07-21 08:41:32

pennedgalaxy

Neo wrote:

Mostly because they too lazy and/or not skilled enough for early gen

People just want advanced towns and cities without wanting to contribute to actually building one.

One thing you can do is name yourself straight away, find that people want to stay with named Eves more often.

Eve camps don't always fail but you gotta be quite lucky if you want to be a successful Eve.  You need a good spot, Enough food for you and your kids to survive pre-farming,  Close to a nice cluster of ponds, nearby to savanna with lots of rabbits and seeds, Middle temp desert tile is convinient also. But even with a good spot you still need good children, preferably a single good daughter who can properly manage kids.

Personally one of the reasons I suicide as a baby if it's an Eve run is if the mum is unamed, it's the mark of a player that one; doesn't care much about their investment in the game, or two; they're new and they didn't pay that much attention to the tutorial. I don't mind new players, but many times when I've been born to a nameless Eve they've been carrot/berry sponges, letting all their kids do the work of setting up camp which is just...unsatisfying especially if they eat all the food nearby without doing a single thing.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

#15 2018-07-21 17:11:36

third.eye

I still like all the social interactions the game provides. Feels fresh every time. Would be boring if everyone behaves via a certain codex.

So a penalty just should not be there.

#16 2018-07-26 04:29:44

elpargo

what im trying to do with this is ask. "Hi, new camp here we are ..... Do you want to live here?" If they say Y we move on .... people need to communicate. I learned this from an eve and have been doing it ever since.

Board footer