xFD6jBa.png
XllMF4n.png

use leaf on long shaft with embers
JLtEZJQ.png
lNXqfrA.png

put leaf with embers on the other fuzzy brown leaf
C8e2xKs.png
pbAg038.png

grab kindling and wait for the ember to catch fire and then put the kindling on the ember
16rldLc.png

HOW TO SMITH:

now u have a forge and a fire u can smith

- put another kindling into the forge and set it ablaze by using a long shaft on the fire and then clicking the long shaft on fire on the furnace with kindling in it
16rldLc.png
Ba0EQxj.png

pick up wet pottery with tongs and stick em in the fire
0FboJ8O.png

then use adobe to plug up the furnace to make coal
AxWUXtN.png
S1NMHpi.png

use an empty basket to get the coal out
KAiTnA9.png

put the coal on empty ground
JJa9JDR.png

pick up coal with ur hands and put it in an empty bowl
FUT90EU.png
r8WWbhF.png

now fill the furnace with kindling again and turn it into charcoal again

while thats happening you will need a bellows
i sure hope u fired up that wet clay nozzle
the following will just be in images b/c im getting lazy
9iy2QsX.png
9pVV8Vc.png
KbRtQas.png
Rl51OlU.png
GO8bK14.png
R2mJBdk.png
Tt5mJz2.png
4r0FlpI.png
EfpyGPR.png
GbI9gBB.png
eat it
eL0Gd8e.png
GRpR8eZ.png
Hdt96qZ.png
2UIDSDI.png
1Vx6pfx.png
FXxQop1.png
eMOSZaK.png
rlfbdAd.png
PPYcTqK.png

great, now ur ready to smith
put the bellows on the forge with charcoal already in it and then light it on fire
grab iron with ur tongs and stick em in the forge
oz9YbEN.png
UADxfva.png

put the iron ball on a flat rock and hit it with a round rock. u generally wanna do 3 at a time to save on kindling
7zkiezc.png
oH67e6r.png

then put the resulting iron in the same bowl with the charcoal and put a plate on top
34XgUhh.png

stick that crucible in the forge with the bellows and charcoal
JlLiPO9.png

and wait for it to cool down
zCfvkan.png

then take off the plate
EjsWtnX.png

and then take out the iron
2ZP1Bnl.png

then fire up the forge again with charcoal and bellows in it and pick up the smelted iron with ur tongs and stick it in the forge and put it on the flat rock again and HIT ******ONE****** with a round rock to make a hammer
K2s4JQA.png

then attach the hammer head with a short shaft to get a hammer
z8QEEyQ.png
vSbtOZm.png

now do the same thing with the other smelted iron but hit it with the SMITING HAMMER this time
9c2hsMw.png
9dnSByw.png

the more u hit it the more it'll change shape from axe > hoe > chisel > adze > froe > file blank > blade blank > shovel > mining pick

make urself an axe, shovel, and hoe. do axe first so u can get more firewood without having to scavenge further and further for branches

combine long shaft with most of these tools to make the full tool
a1MnKRR.png

the froe needs a short staff and the blade blank and file blanks and chisels u can leave to other ppl to deal with, not that important to u, as a new player

HOW TO FARM:

will be mostly in pictures cos its 2 am now n ive been working on this guide for 2 hours oh god help me

nUr73ie.png
hFWPKe2.png
CYRVQKz.png

u can pick up dirt from the pile with a bowl, to either put on dry berry bushes or to just move around. using hoe on 2 dirt gives u a fully tilled row, but how on 1 dirt gives u a half tilled row (so u have to hoe it twice- consuming more hoe power)

Lc89zH7.png
gEZuGPR.png
pqHTMHu.png
6fKk3nq.png

now u have a tilled row grab whatever seed (probably a berry, carrot, or milkweed for a beginner camp) and click it into the tilled, empty row
YSqczjc.png

now to water it grab a bowl n travel 15 minutes to ur nearest pond in jason jail
I12oGNK.png

move egg
REQMtIn.png

bowl on pond
0iYioHz.png
YzR2EwA.png
JHk3rIZ.png

BONUS - HOW TO MAKE BAG:
rC5IIbB.png
A0pP2TZ.png
BWYFmA9.png
lmx3fKq.png

k1YS4GG.png

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-17 03:25:17)

#2 2018-07-14 14:58:58

Toriberry

Re: new player guide - smithing farming eveing - with pictures

How thorough. Thanks! We should add a cooking guide too so people don't starve.

#3 2018-07-14 16:20:28

ryanb
Website

Thanks for the guide! Have you considered adding this to the wiki? Might be nice to split it up into several smaller guides.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#4 2018-07-14 17:00:04

startafight

Toriberry wrote:

How thorough. Thanks! We should add a cooking guide too so people don't starve.

yea maybe someone will add onto this with the cooking guide eventually... or maybe ill do it someday. it just takes a bit longer to get to cooking cos u gotta do all the smiting n setting up first. maybe ill take pics from an eve camp if i get a good one going

ryanb wrote:

Thanks for the guide! Have you considered adding this to the wiki? Might be nice to split it up into several smaller guides.

i dont really know how to add onto the wiki but if someone wants to use these pics to add onto it theyre welcome to

#5 2018-07-14 17:57:43

Jk Howling

Nice basic guide for smithing and crafting recipes, I'm sure new players will definitely find it handy, especially with the picture guidance. I know smithing can be complicated to learn given how many components it has, so that'll definitely assist people.

This is super simple but really effective- past guides I've tried to read have mostly just been paragraphs of explanations that tend to go over my head, so I've had to figure things out on my own or wait for the rare patient player to teach me. Having an image for example helps a ton.

Maybe a more in-depth eve guide could go with it, sort of as a companion? This seems mostly to be a "here's what you need and how to make it" guide to match the tutorial, so something that gives some bonus information about things you'll face outside the tutorial might be helpful in this simple picture-esque style as well.
Maybe answer questions such as:

Where should I set up a base?
[include basic camp spot requirements (water/swamp, desert, big grassland), how to temp-run while searching, what to do with kids when searching, etc.]

How do I raise my kids?
[includes basics on child-rearing, such as tile warmth, how many to keep, job direction, whether or not to keep any while still searching for a camp, etc.]

How should I set up the farm?
[includes basics of farming. How close to water, on what biome is best, keeping things in smaller patches VS one massive farm, etc.]

In what order should I be doing things / When should I start doing this?
[includes a quick list of what things should be done in what order. For example: kiln first, then small farm, then smith (what tools first?), then expand farm, then sheep pen?]

How to domesticate sheep?
[Maybe a basic run-down of what you'll need and how to make them + get the sheep. A bow+arrow, a rope, carrots and berries, maybe a brief easy trash-pit pen guide. We do have a Pein guide for pens but I personally found it a bit confusing and long-winded, even being an experienced player.]

I know eve runs rarely get as far as sheep during their generation but it doesn't hurt to have the knowledge.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-07-14 17:58:26)

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2018-07-14 18:43:46

startafight

Jk Howling wrote:

This is super simple but really effective- past guides I've tried to read have mostly just been paragraphs of explanations that tend to go over my head, so I've had to figure things out on my own or wait for the rare patient player to teach me. Having an image for example helps a ton.

thanks howling, i also have a hard time understanding big word guides & adhd doesnt really help w/ reading big texts

Jk Howling wrote:

Maybe a more in-depth eve guide could go with it, sort of as a companion? This seems mostly to be a "here's what you need and how to make it" guide to match the tutorial, so something that gives some bonus information about things you'll face outside the tutorial might be helpful in this simple picture-esque style as well.
Maybe answer questions such as....

yeah these things probably need guides too... it just takes forever to make these picture guides cos u have to live out the life and thats already an hour on its own and then u have to put the images in order n write up a whole post which takes a million years

i did a sheep domestication and farm life guide before: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2633 ill get around to adding pictures to it eventually. maybe ill make a compilation of all the guides that are up to date for now... and figure out how the wiki works so i can add this to it....

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 583#p23583

also pein has a good guide with nice pics

Last edited by startafight (2018-07-14 18:57:55)

#7 2018-07-16 12:46:50

Valences42

Goodness, thank you so much!

I'm less scared to learn how to smith...

I've been playing since March on and off, and I've been able to create a forge and charcoal successfully.  Now I can just bring active smiths all the materials and make sure they have food somewhere nearby.  I'm just afraid they'll get grumpy with me haha.

#8 2018-07-16 12:59:30

Valences42

I know it was 2 am when you were making the guide, but sometimes when you say 'save on tinder' do you mean saving on kindling?  Sorry to be editorial, I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again for the pictures!  They really help visual learners.

#9 2018-07-16 15:57:49

startafight

Valences42 wrote:

I know it was 2 am when you were making the guide, but sometimes when you say 'save on tinder' do you mean saving on kindling?  Sorry to be editorial, I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again for the pictures!  They really help visual learners.

nice catch. ill get to editing that tonight when im done w/ classes (fucking night classes man, like 9 pm??? really???). maybe ill add pictures to the sheep domestication tut while im at it

#10 2018-07-17 03:17:09

elpargo

holy memory reading abilities I was literally thinking of doing this last night both because I couldn't find it and to learn stuff. This definitely needs to go into the wiki as well as being split into several articles... maybe a tutorial like map?

The only thing I'll suggest differently is not to waste time on fur -> water pouch. Bowls are better IMO since you normally make camp near swamps.

Let's see how building up on this can happen.

#11 2018-07-17 03:24:15

startafight

elpargo wrote:

holy memory reading abilities I was literally thinking of doing this last night both because I couldn't find it and to learn stuff. This definitely needs to go into the wiki as well as being split into several articles... maybe a tutorial like map?

The only thing I'll suggest differently is not to waste time on fur -> water pouch. Bowls are better IMO since you normally make camp near swamps.

Let's see how building up on this can happen.

its really only to make the bellows tbh. w/ the bucket all u really need in life is a bucket n a bowl

#12 2018-07-18 05:44:21

elpargo

ahhh good that makes a lot of sense. thanks for clarifying

Board footer