One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-06 21:32:16

Chefbrenner

Biomes changing?

Today I saw the biomes change on multiple occasions: A square of wetlands appeared in the rabbit fields in front of my eyes, rocky ground began to creep over grass, …

Are these optical glitches or are the biomes really changing slowly? Has anyone else seen this happening?

If biomes are really changing, then these map makers might be in a tough spot…

Last edited by Chefbrenner (2018-03-06 21:35:25)

#2 2018-03-06 21:34:37

Uncle Gus

Re: Biomes changing?

I've definitely seen it happening, but I've kept it to myself. I'm wondering if it is some kind of natural climate change or if it is brought about by human interaction.

#3 2018-03-06 21:36:45

Chefbrenner

Yeah, I wondered if these changes are caused by humans (chopping too many trees, draining too many ponds, …) or not.

#4 2018-03-06 23:22:10

ned

Could this be the game seed slightly remodifying itself (see quote below) when Jason's code updates are sent to servers?

Per his response to a Steam question

jasonrohrer wrote:

When I want to post an update, I type one line on my server and the update goes out to everyone.  I've got all sorts of scripts written that pull the latest data from GitHub, bundle it, and post it, and restart the servers, etc.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#5 2018-03-07 02:04:22

Norgg

ned wrote:

Could this be the game seed slightly remodifying itself (see quote below) when Jason's code updates are sent to servers?

I don't think so. Seen it too and it's just been one tile changing on the odd occasion.

#6 2018-03-07 09:05:22

Tebe

I haven't seen this happen, but I did see some strange things tonight that made me wonder if these biomes may have been changing somehow. A settlement in a prairie, and one in a swamp. Perhaps they were attempts to create specialized industry settlements based on fur or farming? If so, they did not look to have succeeded.

The marsh settlement was particularly eerie. So much clear-cutting, and I couldn't see much for ponds nearby. It was quite lonely and desolate. People raised there or that came through tended to leave. Somehow there was no stone hatchet to be found anywhere, making fires impossible but for the few remaining piles of kindling. The usual milkweed shortage. I found another abandoned settlement to the north, but spent the rest of my time in the marsh. The farmer running water took a handcart some ways out of town full of pouches. This definitely suggests a heavy farming focus, but there weren't a lot of rows, and again, very strange to not be located in a pond-rich area.

This place was pretty dried up - The marsh just seemed eerily empty. where were the ponds? The overnourished jungle trees? No clay in sight, and even the reeds were sparse. Fields and fields of firewood and logs. It looked like something out of the Lorax. The mood was something I hadn't come across. It seems so much darker in the middle of the swamp. It was just me and the farmer for most of our lives - A few people came through, and we helped them with food, but they always moved on. This was no place to raise children. We were both males, so it would soon be a lifeless ghost town. He did a great job filling massive stores of carrots for anyone who came by. We built a second handcart and loaded the two up near the food stores - An outpost on the road to somewhere greener.

This final task accomplished, I showed him how to make compost, and we used it to plant one more milkweed.
We said our goodbyes. I died first, but he was old and not far behind.

We really should beware of how much resource we choose to consume. While really dense jungles can be hard to navigate and may hide deadly near-invisible wolves, there's something so alive about them. Looking back, I wish I had focused on building a road through that place - a hint that it's merely an outpost now. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Board footer