One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-04 19:49:40

Jk Howling

Are bells ever going to be fixed?

No seriously, I just spent three lifetimes following them out of pure curiosity. They were all males, and born to either a blatantly dying town, or an overpopulated one.

Each time, I started as soon as I could grab things, the bell having rang during my infancy. They've all ended in my 50s-60s with not a glimpse of a town in sight. Sure, I crossed a few patches where someone had been. Goose ponds with eggs, flowering cacti, a sharp stone or a broken basket. But never making it to point B.

They shouldn't be able to be heard from a distance that's impossible to traverse in a single lifetime. It completely defeats the purpose of having them, unless that purpose is to lure curious/bored players to their deaths.

Are these ever going to be fixed to a specific radius or is it considered one of those "Its part of life lol deal with it" problems, like griefers/murderers?

-Has ascended to better games-

#2 2018-07-04 19:52:20

TrustyWay

Re: Are bells ever going to be fixed?

Bells sound quest is supposed to intergenerational if I understood it well, so if you're a male you wont probably have any chance to reach them. You need woman for the journey. I haven't spawn yet to a girl  following a bell still.

#3 2018-07-04 19:56:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sometimes they are closer.  I have followed a bell and found a town.

You can get a rough idea of how far away a bell is by walking perpendicular to the direction of the bell and seeing if the arrow changes at all.  If a bell is very far away, the arrow won't change as you walk around.

But yes, it can be a trans-generational trip.

#4 2018-07-04 20:39:05

TheRedBug

I did spawn to a mother who was following a bell. I didnt make it however. Sad.

Last edited by TheRedBug (2018-07-04 20:39:21)

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#5 2018-07-05 02:52:17

ryanb
Website

What about giving another indicator of the distance? Like the darkness of the arrow or loudness of the sound. In person they could tell the distance by the loudness.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#6 2018-07-05 02:52:27

forestglade

I’ve only found it once when I was born in a satellite city.. But yeah... most of the time it’s a waste of time.

#7 2018-07-05 02:57:22

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

You can get a rough idea of how far away a bell is by walking perpendicular to the direction of the bell and seeing if the arrow changes at all.  If a bell is very far away, the arrow won't change as you walk around.

That's not the point The point is that it shouldn't be a multi-generational trip. I don't understand why it's allowed to be such, and have still yet to receive an answer as to why it will always be that way.

I know the whole perpendicular trick. But how far do you walk perpendicularly to check? What if it's close enough to reach but too far to be able to check quickly? Do we spend half our lives walking perpendicular just to check and find out it isn't, thus having wasted a majority of the life?

It's currently a worthless function if you want to spend your life doing anything but run. And almost nobody wants that. But it'd be the complete opposite if we knew, from the moment it sounded, that it was within reach by foot. Might be close, might be far, but reachable all the same. It'd also give a big step in the exploration side of the game, which is virtually nonexistent atm.

ryanb wrote:

What about giving another indicator of the distance? Like the darkness of the arrow or loudness of the sound. In person they could tell the distance by the loudness.

Even this would at least be a step in the right direction. Because again, logically we'd be able to judge a distance by the sound. Or not even hear it at all. And as a game that seems to want to lean towards realistic instead of fantastical concepts, having flawless hearing for a bell thousands of tiles away doesn't exactly fit.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-07-05 02:59:44)

#8 2018-07-05 03:33:47

Anshin

How about a home marker that along with the compass arrow, tells you how many steps away it is?

#9 2018-07-05 03:44:00

Uncle Gus

jasonrohrer wrote:

This would be easier if the arrow pointing to the home marker wasn't limited to the 8 main compass directions.

#10 2018-07-05 06:06:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Uncle Gus wrote:

This would be easier if the arrow pointing to the home marker wasn't limited to the 8 main compass directions.

They are hand-drawn, good sir.  How many directions do you want me to draw?

I have thought about putting a distance measure on the home arrow.  It's not hard for me to do...

As for the realism of hearing the bell from very far away, it is supposed to be a kind of mythical moment in the game when it happens.  Holy crap, there's someone out there!  The game can be very lonely at times, like the universe.  It's a big place (700 jupiters), and getting a message that someone is out there...  and they just called me!  I heard the message.

It's also a server-wide event.  That adds to the mythical feeling.  All 70 people on this server heard that.  I only see three people here, but I'm momentarily participating in a collective event that is way bigger than what I can see here.

It took 18 generations to build the damn thing.  That bell better be loud!

#11 2018-07-05 08:27:44

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

I have thought about putting a distance measure on the home arrow.  It's not hard for me to do...

That would be a good idea tbh. At least then we'd know whether or not following a bell would lead to interesting finds or just death.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game can be very lonely at times, like the universe.  It's a big place (700 jupiters), and getting a message that someone is out there...  and they just called me!  I heard the message.

Yes, but not a very useful message. Currently it's more like: "Oh, someone else exists and has an advanced city! Buuuut there's like a 99% chance that I'll never see them in my lifetime because they're probably lightyears away. Ok back to farming."

A distance meter or lowering it to a certain radius would make it more exciting and meaningful. That random bell that likely just ends in death just turned into a possible journey!

#12 2018-07-05 20:12:54

Acozi

TheRedBug wrote:

I did spawn to a mother who was following a bell. I didnt make it however. Sad.

That may have been me! I'm sorry it was laggy and so much snow!!

#13 2018-07-05 20:14:09

TheRedBug

No, mine was in the desert and got bitten by a snake.
Sosad

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#14 2018-07-06 02:38:01

MidgetMaker

7TdM8kd.png

He done did it!

#15 2018-07-06 03:03:17

YAHG

MidgetMaker wrote:

He done did it!

Fucking Wildman.. smile

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-07-06 03:29:27

Neo

TrustyWay wrote:

Bells sound quest is supposed to intergenerational if I understood it well, so if you're a male you wont probably have any chance to reach them. You need woman for the journey. I haven't spawn yet to a girl  following a bell still.

Dude I legit tried to do it the other day. But multi gen trips are really difficult and usually not worthwhile.

I actually managed to get a daughter who tried to continue after me. She made it to 40 before getting killed by a boar, not bad for a baby born on the road.

Besides it's easier to simply get born into the belltown in the next life lol.

#17 2018-07-06 04:03:21

Jk Howling

MidgetMaker wrote:

Blessed lord and savior Jason, thank you for answering our prayers ;w;

#18 2018-07-06 04:28:09

Anshin

Awesome smile
Thank you!

#19 2018-07-07 00:17:56

pennedgalaxy

Ooh the distance thing is beautiful.

You'll see me often as Eve Mcabee and Eve Laurent. Or at least I'll try to be! These days it's hard spawning in as Eve, I usually end up as a baby in some town instead!

Board footer