One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 21:33:50

katastic

Feature Request - Names, names, and NAMES!

- When a mother first picks up a baby, give her the option to name it.

- When you mouse over a person, it shows their name over them. (or hold alt, or shift, or control, or something to show "verbrose view")

Now, when a baby/person dies it will say "Grave of [named person]."

Now when you encounter a grave, and it's someone you knew, it's not just a random piece of bones. It's "omg, my friend Sally died!" (Possibly include clues to their death, such as withered bones = starved)

Now, one more feature! (You'll soon see how this all works together.)

Signs! Be able to write signs that say, adolescents and older can read. (Use wood + charcoal to write sign, then hammer it in ground with a post, or whatever.) You can leave notes like "this garden is for seeds"

And then it's just one final jump to... MARKED GRAVES.

Think about that mother that raised you, and countless others. She sacrificed and never left the fire. And then she died. From a quick famine, or simply of old age. You find her body. You dig a plot, bury her, and put a headstone. The stone reads, "Mother of 6, the great teacher."

So now, YOUR LIFE LIVES ON, in the tomes (later!?) of history itself. Now, doing GOOD THINGS means people will REMEMBER YOU FOR THEM after you die! (=incentive to be a good person)

Also, while we're at it: Signs (bigger signs?) can be used to officially mark the NAME OF A TOWN.

Lastly, when we finally get ROADS, we can officially link towns together. And, ideally, have compass markers that show little arrows to various nearby towns. (Maybe you need a "map" or a "compass" or a "scouting headdress" to be the only one who can spot towns from far away--as opposed to everyone.)

[edit] OH, and I almost forgot! It'd be really cool if you got NOTIFICATIONS when people you knew died. It might not be "canon" with the game. But as a grand mother, getting a notification that one of your children died is super sad! Likewise, knowing your grandma died is sad! But right now, people just die and it's not that big a deal. Most of the "not a big deal" is because you simply DON'T KNOW if someone died or walked away!

Last edited by katastic (2018-03-05 21:35:48)

#2 2018-03-05 21:47:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Feature Request - Names, names, and NAMES!

Well, you can't mouse over someone in real life to learn their name.

I think it's cool that people are naming their babies.  And those babies can tell other people their name upon meeting.

Also, if mothers can "officially" name babies, some babies will be named dickhead just for lols.

Signs of some kind are coming in the future, as are grave stones.

But like in real life, if a grave isn't marked by someone who witnessed the death, then it remains an unknown grave.

#3 2018-03-05 21:49:16

Laura

Fantastic Ideas!

The signs would be great smile

And: We Need a middle place. There are so many "home sticks" who took place.
And a "zoom out" function would be nice ...
I lost so many times sad

#4 2018-03-05 23:02:42

rebb

Naming is a nice idea, but imo it would have to be done in a way that prevents troll naming.
Maybe have names be chosen using some kind of dictionary-based auto-complete - if that makes any sense.

I actually wonder if the game/server keeps track of "lineage" in any way internally.

#5 2018-03-06 02:35:56

katastic

>Naming is a nice idea, but imo it would have to be done in a way that prevents troll naming.
Maybe have names be chosen using some kind of dictionary-based auto-complete - if that makes any sense.

- Well, you could allow someone to rename themselves. (Perhaps make it part of a "ritual" involving paints or something.)

And troll names shouldn't be that bad since they could simply murder you or leave you to starve instead...

But one key thing there (other than lineage/history) is that it's actually hard to tell people apart in game, when in real-life, we evolved pretty darn good abilities for telling each other apart!

- So while yeah, you can't normally "mouse over" someone's name, it'd be nice if when someone told you their name, the game remembered it for the future! (So you could choose to not tell people your name too.)

Or you could right click on someone's body from far away, which pops up a wheel full of icons, and it attach an icon to them. Different colors, different symbols. That way you can "remember" how you felt about someone.

Kind of like this:

https://ecdn.teacherspayteachers.com/th … 8314-1.jpg

Of course that's actually a different request I'm gonna make a post on. Having facial emotions, hugging/handshaking, and pointing at things. Young children should definitely be able to point at things.

Last edited by katastic (2018-03-06 02:38:11)

#6 2018-03-06 06:13:16

DogInLake

I think the best solution would be to have auto-generated designations that are based on family relation. Your mom has 'Mother' over her head. Your siblings have 'Older Brother' and 'Younger Sister'. If you have more than one, then 'Older Brother 1' and 'Older Brother 2'.

When you first meet someone they are 'Stranger', when you spend time physically around them eventually they are 'Acquaintance' and then 'Friend', again with numbers. Perhaps have 'Family Friend' or 'Fellow Villager' or something for people that have been part of a community for a long time.

The important thing here isn't to have names (which could hurt the anonymity aspect of the game, since you could name yourself the same thing over and over, establishing a multi-life identity), but to be able to recognize people. Right now it's very difficult to recognize someone, which leads to a variety of issues.

#7 2018-03-06 06:26:04

kilozombie

Yeah, I'm on board with what DogInLake has said on this-- though generating a consistent 'friend' rating might be difficult if it's based solely on proximity.

I really like the emergent "your mother/parents name you" that people are coming up with-- I even like that people sometimes name themselves. I think it's really counter to the idea of the game if you started naming yourself the same thing over and over, though, and I really think that introducing mechanics to have a nametag or name detract from the actual roleplay that's occurring in the game, right now.

#8 2018-03-06 06:37:07

rictic

I really like that names are entirely player behavior. I don't love solutions that have text hovering over people's heads.

I do think this is somewhat of a problem though. It's really hard to tell people apart. IRL Humans have adapted to this problem with specialized brain regions for recognizing and differentiating faces.

(Kinda unrelated, but if my mom gave me an insulting name, I think I'd walk into the woods to die)

#9 2018-03-06 07:49:41

Tebe

When you hover the mouse over yourself, it reads "YOU" on the bottom of the screen.
There is no such information when you hover over other people. You can click on them - to feed them, clothe them, kill them - but it never designates who they are, as it does with all other objects and yourself.

It would be amazing to see the relation in that little box when hovering over other people. "mother," "grandmother," "brother," "cousin," etc.

#10 2018-03-06 08:47:55

Uncle Gus

The relationship to you would be cool to see. I'd get behind that.

#11 2018-03-06 13:23:55

Norgg

Tebe wrote:

When you hover the mouse over yourself, it reads "YOU" on the bottom of the screen.
There is no such information when you hover over other people. You can click on them - to feed them, clothe them, kill them - but it never designates who they are, as it does with all other objects and yourself.

It would be amazing to see the relation in that little box when hovering over other people. "mother," "grandmother," "brother," "cousin," etc.

I like this, but then there have also been fun wee moments of "oh, I'm not your birth mum sorry, she just dropped you here as a baby and ran off". Sometimes a family can be through adoption and encoding relationships kind of invalidates that.

Last edited by Norgg (2018-03-06 13:25:36)

#12 2018-03-06 15:44:33

johnnyburninator

I think it fits the spirit of the game if this is handled "in-game" only, by the players. If you want to know someone's name, ask them (rather than mouse-over). If someone cares about you enough to make a tombstone, they could maybe make it with the name that you've told them (with chiseled stone persisting longer than carved board).

Although, it -is- a little hard to recognize people so more sprites or procedurally-randomized faces might help distinguish people. Or personalized clothes -- DLC opportunity smile.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#13 2018-03-06 16:18:00

Zeromus

I definitely like the idea of simply adding basic family designations.  Doesn't need to float over their head.  Mouse over to see: mother, daughter, son, grandmother, grand daughter, grandson. 

I had to ask the other day, "are you my daughter?"  Awkward.  When you pop out half a dozen kids, it is hard to keep track, but a mother would never forget.

#14 2018-03-06 16:51:29

asterlea

There are supposed to be more sprites eventually. I saw Jason say somewhere that there are supposed to be more skin tones eventually, currently there are only 2, and your children will be your skintone or slightly lighter or darker to one side. When that's the case it will be a bit easier to tell who's who and also who is likely part of your family hopefully. I wouldn't mind it saying "mother" "brother" "daughter" etc. when you hover over people though, where is usually says the names of items. Or even to be able to type a name/title for someone to go in the space, so if someone tells you their name you can make a note of it yourself, or tag an adopted mom as "Mother" if you wanted, but I'm guessing that's probably a bit too much to ask for.

Another thing, with the graves, usually if you walk out of a room, and then come back and suddenly there is a dead body there, if it was someone you knew you would recognize them. In game, unless they were wearing clothes no one else was, like a wolf hat, or if you're in a small settlement and can easily account for everyone who's still alive, you can have no idea who just died. It'd be nice to know that random skeleton was your mom and that she's not just out gathering milkweed or something. The ability to distinguished could only last a short while, like a minute/year, and then revert to just "grave", so you'd still have to stumble upon them before they've decomposed to recognize them, so the game wouldn't have to permanently store that extra data.

Ooooh, I just thought of something: wool dying! If you could make different colors of clothing that could help with differentiating people. Add water to bowl of berries, mash with sharp stone to make pink dye, add to wool, then that can make pink wool. Add another dye to pink wool to make red wool. Now depending on which you made, you can make either pink or red yarn and use that to knit. That's three colors right there: white, pink, red. Now one person might have a red hat, another a pink shirt, someone else one pink booty, one white. A ton more variation from that alone.

#15 2018-03-06 17:00:54

johnnyburninator

asterlea wrote:

... I wouldn't mind it saying "mother" "brother" "daughter" etc. when you hover over people though, where is usually says the names of items. ...

It'd be nice to know that random skeleton was your mom and that she's not just out gathering milkweed or something. The ability to distinguished could only last a short while ...

Ooooh, I just thought of something: wool dying! ...

I like all these ideas, too. "Relationship" tags may have some small positive effect on bad behavior, by reinforcing community. And it makes the emergent "stories" more compelling than a bunch of naked randos.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#16 2018-03-06 19:58:57

katastic

>Sometimes a family can be through adoption and encoding relationships kind of invalidates that.

Or you know, support adopting.

Additionally, we'd be able see LOGS of civilizations and family trees. See who adopted whom, etc. Dwarf Fortress is renowned for it, except here, it'd be civs by real people.

#17 2018-03-06 21:16:29

Lismaniak

katastic wrote:

[edit] OH, and I almost forgot! It'd be really cool if you got NOTIFICATIONS when people you knew died. It might not be "canon" with the game. But as a grand mother, getting a notification that one of your children died is super sad! Likewise, knowing your grandma died is sad! But right now, people just die and it's not that big a deal. Most of the "not a big deal" is because you simply DON'T KNOW if someone died or walked away!

I agree with everything except for the notifications.

#18 2018-03-07 09:37:21

Puppycat

Nobody is game like to lose time talking, I think people mostly yell instructions and is easier to say "You guy" to the one next to you than writing a whole name. Also I always name my kids and people see me doing it but im the only one who call them by their name. Its fine though so he always know who I am

#19 2018-03-09 15:00:27

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, you can't mouse over someone in real life to learn their name..

IRL you can tell people apart by their faces, though, whereas in game it's doppelgangers upon dopperlgangers. Maybe knowing somebody's real name without asking is a bit immersion breaking, but at least let us nickname all the people we meet.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-03-09 15:01:24)

#20 2018-03-09 16:38:14

Left4twenty

jasonrohrer wrote:

Signs of some kind are coming in the future, as are grave stones.

If signs exist then is it to be assumed that writing exists?  How are all these nomadic bands writing the same language?  It would be odd for an eve, born naked in the wilderness to just know this. 
  I think it could work into this tribalism mechanic that seems to be developing, to have a sign written in a way that's readable only by other members of that tribe. (Tribe possibly being decided by proximity of home markers [to one another?])  This way knowledge is kept within and passed through a tribe as it was in reality.  It would also offer the ability to identify outsiders (can you read our password sign?  And if they can't you know they're a wanderer.
Writing is a marker of an already advanced society that has time and need for it.  Some advanced civilizations of history didn't even have "proper" alphabets

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

Board footer