One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 19:01:04

Zwilnik

Doh!

Appologies to the old Shepherd who apprenticed me and spent half his life teaching me his skills only for me to forget to keep an eye on my hunger meter while shearing sheep and die in the pen hmm

Doh!

#2 2018-03-05 19:14:08

Doctor Flintrock

Re: Doh!

I keep doubling back on ideas about whether the game is too unforgiving in some ways, like in the post I made below.

However, the fact that you died in the pen (to your mentor's heartache) is probably a more interesting story?? Or maybe you must be just positively stressed at all times and never forget about hunger, lest you die a few feet away from the carrot farm.

Doctor Flintrock wrote:

Right now a lot of grief and needless difficulty spawns from players not knowing quite how to handle community and social aspects vs. survival.

So if I abandon a baby (which I find extremely hard to do and have died countless times, sometimes trying to explain to the baby why it has to die), the baby should at least get to see the upset face of the mother to communicate to it that she's hungry; she can't take care of the baby. The baby-player will at least be given the chance to understand and won't be frustrated because this has probably happened many times to them.

This would also make it socially acceptable to run away from conversations or from a social gathering suddenly because other players would see that your are hungry or starving and need  to find food quickly.

The game would change radically (for the worse) if it shoved information into your face about what's going on in general; or if players were given the ability to communicate too effectively—but having basic body language/emotions (at least for hunger/starving states) would be a fine addition.

#3 2018-03-05 19:52:48

Zwilnik

One thing I did realise from shepherding is it can’t possibly be sustainable. To feed a sheep to get a single ball of yarn you have to strip an entire berry bush into a bowl to make the feed. So unless someone has found an endless supply of water to farm berries or strips the bushes for miles around it’s going to take generations to knit a matching outfit smile

#4 2018-03-05 19:54:50

Milkman

I see that happening far too many often. Childs dying in settlements full of food. You got to remember as a child your food bar is really small, you can't travel too far without some berries. Kids carrying bowls and searching for water = certain death.
Whenever I explain the laws to a baby I'm now adding a last one: "DON'T STARVE".

#5 2018-03-05 20:01:34

Uncle Gus

Zwilnik wrote:

One thing I did realise from shepherding is it can’t possibly be sustainable. To feed a sheep to get a single ball of yarn you have to strip an entire berry bush into a bowl to make the feed. So unless someone has found an endless supply of water to farm berries or strips the bushes for miles around it’s going to take generations to knit a matching outfit smile

Both water and berries are renewable, so there's no problem there. And yeah, it will take generations to clothe everyone, but once the clothes are made, they're permanent.

#6 2018-03-05 21:10:11

Zwilnik

Milkman wrote:

I see that happening far too many often. Childs dying in settlements full of food. You got to remember as a child your food bar is really small, you can't travel too far without some berries. Kids carrying bowls and searching for water = certain death.
Whenever I explain the laws to a baby I'm now adding a last one: "DON'T STARVE".

I wasn't a child by the time I started apprenticing, that was what was so embarrassing smile

#7 2018-03-05 21:45:22

Bracox

I'm pretty sure i was your teacher :DD, its awesome i found this. It was pretty shitty that you died but it doesnt matter as long as you learned how to work the sheep, now if you spawn on a village with sheeps you will probably be the only one that knows how to run it, and after a while you can teach the job to others too. If you wanna make the fence on another village please do, i wrote a guide on how to get started on the job

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=233

Still impressed you wrote this on the forum

Board footer