One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 09:00:18

jord1990

The problem of the one carrot rule!

So as many of you might have known the "Leave 1 carrot in each plot for seeds" rule has spread like wildfire. Every bigger village is doing it and it is one of the reason all of them fail. I know this has been said before and the math has been done by people. However people refuse to listen!! I think we should start activily spreading that the 1 carrot rule is a horrible idea, most people are to stubborn to listen or look at the math. But if enough of us keep repeating it it might just get into their thick skull.

TLDR: We need to stop people from picking from seeding plots because they think they have their golden 1 carrot rule!!

#2 2018-03-05 09:05:20

Uncle Gus

Re: The problem of the one carrot rule!

We should try to establish a clearly recognised pattern. We can't mark a plot as seed only, so we need some other way to help people recognise which one is for seeds. If we follow the "three to seed, four to feed" rule, then it makes sense to farm in rows of seven, leaving the leftmost for seeds. "three to seed", these three, "four to feed", the next four.

#3 2018-03-05 09:10:33

jord1990

yeah I alway separate the seeding plots from the eating plots, however one carrot rule believers simply don't care. they think they have the golden solution and will just start implementing it on their own. So theres 3 option try to teach them which 50% of the time doesnt work and when that doesnt work you can either watch them ruin your village or kill them.

#4 2018-03-05 09:25:42

Tebe

I have noticed that in dense villages, any plot outside the main area is way less likely to be messed with. I was at a pretty busy village, and there was a wee milkweed farm just up north a ways - not very far at all really, but away from all the mayhem, where the ground was still pristine. This milkweed did fine and was oddly rarely touched.  If you go out just a little ways, it may be the way to deal with this. I haven't tried this yet, but this is what I'd like to do:

Next time I find myself rebuilding a desolated village, I think I'm going to re-till the rows, with a 4xWhatever in the main farm and a 3xWhatever out a small hike to the east or west. a fence would be grand, but for starters, this could do the trick to getting a bit more life out of a settlement.

That and constant teaching to everyone who helps on the farm and all who come to plunder.

#5 2018-03-05 09:48:07

alfonso.nishikawa
Website

Uncle Gus wrote:

We should try to establish a clearly recognised pattern. We can't mark a plot as seed only, so we need some other way to help people recognise which one is for seeds. If we follow the "three to seed, four to feed" rule, then it makes sense to farm in rows of seven, leaving the leftmost for seeds. "three to seed", these three, "four to feed", the next four.

Rows of seven?

Maybe rows of 5? Since there is 5 seeds per plot, 1 for the seeding plot, 4 for the 4 feeding plots. Isn't it? Am I not getting something?

1 for seed, 4 for feed.

-- Edited:

Ok, I found the reason: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=894#p894
Seems right, 3+4.

Last edited by alfonso.nishikawa (2018-03-05 10:17:04)

#6 2018-03-05 12:13:50

mrfox

alfonso.nishikawa wrote:
Uncle Gus wrote:

Rows of seven?

Maybe rows of 5? Since there is 5 seeds per plot, 1 for the seeding plot, 4 for the 4 feeding plots. Isn't it? Am I not getting something?

1 for seed, 4 for feed.

-- Edited:

Ok, I found the reason: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=894#p894
Seems right, 3+4.

Yeah the three for seed four for feed thing is based on very high efficiency. Personally I think a 1 to 4 ratio is fine unless you've got plenty of water pouches and baskets

#7 2018-03-05 14:17:37

TyrantNomad

Saying that it's a terrible idea is not enough - you need something to replace it with.

I've succeeded in replacing 1-carroters with secret-gardeners in most of my village rebirths.
I'll continue to spread secret gardens as the better solution as its built not around everyone knowing it & following correctly, but on the basis that every so often people, or at least a few, just won't.

#8 2018-03-05 14:54:05

Laura

(first i am sorry, not native Speaker here)

Oh gosh, yeah! I hate this so much!
There is a very lare Village ( i think that everyone was Born there in a game) with many stuff.
On the left side they build a house, they got a farm with animals and a big carrot Plantage.
And my first thought was: oh amazing!
Then my second thought (after i see the carrot Plantage): they are all stupid as fuck. -> and we are all gonna die.

They have maybe 20 carrot lines and in EVERY stuck ONE fucking carrot.
And every grown up woman tell the Baby: do you know the carrot rule?
And i Standing there as a Baby and think ... shit. SHIT.

So i become a thief.
I stole some seeds. Stole earth.
Go away a bit.
Plant 5 carrot seeds in 5 carrot earth ... and go back with the seeds.
And feed them all.
Tell another kid and ...

The shit kid tell the others!
And then i came back ...

And you would not BELIVE what happend!
I came back .. and in EVERY fucking earth line ... is a single carrot Standing!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!

I stand there. 30 years old. And die.
I can´t handle this.

#9 2018-03-05 15:23:34

jord1990

TyrantNomad wrote:

Saying that it's a terrible idea is not enough - you need something to replace it with.

I've succeeded in replacing 1-carroters with secret-gardeners in most of my village rebirths.
I'll continue to spread secret gardens as the better solution as its built not around everyone knowing it & following correctly, but on the basis that every so often people, or at least a few, just won't.

I don't just say its a terrible idea, I aways explain the maths behind it and that we should build rows not connected for seeds. Some people pick it up and some are just to brainwashed by the 1 carrot virus.

#10 2018-03-05 15:24:59

jord1990

Laura wrote:

(first i am sorry, not native Speaker here)

Oh gosh, yeah! I hate this so much!
There is a very lare Village ( i think that everyone was Born there in a game) with many stuff.
On the left side they build a house, they got a farm with animals and a big carrot Plantage.
And my first thought was: oh amazing!
Then my second thought (after i see the carrot Plantage): they are all stupid as fuck. -> and we are all gonna die.

They have maybe 20 carrot lines and in EVERY stuck ONE fucking carrot.
And every grown up woman tell the Baby: do you know the carrot rule?
And i Standing there as a Baby and think ... shit. SHIT.

So i become a thief.
I stole some seeds. Stole earth.
Go away a bit.
Plant 5 carrot seeds in 5 carrot earth ... and go back with the seeds.
And feed them all.
Tell another kid and ...

The shit kid tell the others!
And then i came back ...

And you would not BELIVE what happend!
I came back .. and in EVERY fucking earth line ... is a single carrot Standing!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!

I stand there. 30 years old. And die.
I can´t handle this.

Reading this just made me smile, Just knowing im not the only one that looks a the farm when hes born. And when you see its a massive 1 carrot farm dies a bit on the inside because you know its doomed.

#11 2018-03-05 16:44:47

Laura

Absolutely ...
And than the Babyboom!
And all the Babys wont listen and let one carrot stay.
And then you can see how they all Panic!

And i stand there ... knowing where i find MY carrots.
A bit far away.
Lot of Food.
Lot of seeds.

And when they all died ...
I clean this shit and begin new ...
ONE Baby. Tell ALL the rules.
And say: ONE Baby and tell him / her the rules too.
And then we Keep this with 3 persons.
No more Babys.

When all 3 got this, 2 more Babys.
And its fine.

Economics <3

#12 2018-03-05 21:00:44

asterlea

I was in a one-carrot settlement this morning, built a garden a bit away and tried to tell people to keep it for seeds. One person caught on and tried to help tell others, but there kept being too many new people and they kept getting eaten. Saw one person, told them not to eat them, and they we're all "but it was for the baby!" and i told them no one eats, ever, or we all die, and someone just told me to calm down. -_-

#13 2018-03-05 21:11:43

Laura

asterlea wrote:

I was in a one-carrot settlement this morning, built a garden a bit away and tried to tell people to keep it for seeds. One person caught on and tried to help tell others, but there kept being too many new people and they kept getting eaten. Saw one person, told them not to eat them, and they we're all "but it was for the baby!" and i told them no one eats, ever, or we all die, and someone just told me to calm down. -_-

Yeah calm down and die XD or what?
Shit.
Same happend to me.
Yeah, feed the Baby and we will all die and the farm is empty soon.
It´s so frustrating sad

Feel sorry for you! <3

Board footer