One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 15:19:04

Trick

Horses

Please fix them.

You go into any town with horses, and you almost never see them being used.  Why?  Because they suck.

Literally the moment you get off, the horse runs away.  You can't even get off to eat for a split second (which in and of itself is weird - why can't I eat while sitting on the horse?).  Even when you're loading/unloading stuff in the back when there's a cart, the horse is running all over the place.

It makes exploring nearly impossible.  It makes gathering nearly impossible.  It makes the horse pretty much useless.

I tried really hard to make it work in one of my earlier games today, and I was legitimately (like, actually for real) screaming at the game.  I wanted to find a cliff, and shove the goddamned horse and cart right off of it.

What's the point of having it in the game when it's rendered, at worst, nearly useless, and at best, infuriating beyond belief, because of this?  Why not allow us to tie the horse to trees?  Why not make it so we can have a lasso (or some other rope type thing if you want to make it harder), that we can carry in our backpacks and use whenever we dismount?

And if you think that's too easy, then why not make it so that they lasso thing (or whatever it is), has a chance of failure/decay/breaking or something.  I dunno... I think almost anything would make it better than it is now.

#2 2018-06-26 15:25:20

startafight

Re: Horses

or at least give us donkeys and mules that dont run

#3 2018-06-26 16:30:43

JackTreehorn

You need to put down a fence at the location you want to gather from then you can tie up your horse. This is most useful for timber, dirt and buckets of water.

Eve Audette

#4 2018-06-26 16:53:56

Intangir

i thought some of this was fixed, i haven't tried them lately, but some of the horse behavior changes i pull requested were accepted weeks ago

also you should be able to haul a hitching post in their cart and deploy it somewhere (like a mine)

#5 2018-06-26 17:24:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Have you ever tried to tuck into a big meal while sitting on a horse?  Have you ever been on a horse?  It's no place for eating, trust me.

I could make it so they wait around for a bit after you get off.  Like, you get off, and they stand there for 10 seconds before running away.

The point is, I want you to have to tie them up.  I don't want them to just stand there like a dumb vehicle.  People tie their horses up in real life.  There were hitching posts in front of every building back in the day.  Or else your horse (and cart!) would run away.

The idea is also that you set up established outposts, and the first step is building a hitching post there.  That allows you to establish a "trade route" between the city and the outpost.  This is another reason for roads:  to mark the path to the outpost where the hitching post is located.

So I really don't want you to just "park" a horse wherever, tied to any tree.

Regarding eating along the way...  well, you could imagine setting up hitching posts at regular intervals along the way, at roughly the spot where future travelers will also need to stop for lunch.  Also where you will need to stop on the way back.  In other words, trans-generational civilization.

As you can see, the horse isn't "broken."  It just is a more detailed experience than most people are expecting.  The horse, like everything else in the game, is a problem for you, the players to solve.  It's not unsolvable.  But it doesn't work like a horse "should" work in a game, which is just a way to make you go faster with no other consequences or wrinkles.  In fact, I'd say the horse isn't wrinkly enough yet.  It should also get hungry along the way...

That said, if you don't even have time to build the hitching post before the damn thing runs away....  I'll play with it and think about smoothing at least that part over.

#6 2018-06-26 19:04:01

Gummyworm1270

What about hobbling the horse? It would allow the horse to move but slow it down substantially. All of the IRL designs I've seen involve metal pieces so it could be made difficult to craft. Of course there could be a chance of the horse breaking it and running off anyway.

#7 2018-06-26 20:39:22

Morti

jasonrohrer wrote:

In fact, I'd say the horse isn't wrinkly enough yet.  It should also get hungry along the way...

Way to go Trick, now you've done it.

Jokes aside, can we have horse breeding? Then make domestic horses a little more tame than their wilder counterparts?

If there is any problem with horses it's that they aren't common enough for people to have enough experience with them.

Then maybe we can work on horse drawn carriages, horse plows, horse races, circus horses and horse drawn floats in parades.

I think we could all benefit from a more stable  horse patch.

#8 2018-06-26 22:57:28

sanchez

Give me ability to put the thing to make fence in cart thats all im asking

#9 2018-06-26 23:26:47

YAHG

Nerf horse speed, they should not be just as fast with a cart on them. Also why is horse cart immortal? Does not decay into broken cart..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-06-27 03:51:34

Trick

jasonrohrer wrote:

Have you ever tried to tuck into a big meal while sitting on a horse?  Have you ever been on a horse?  It's no place for eating, trust me.

I could make it so they wait around for a bit after you get off.  Like, you get off, and they stand there for 10 seconds before running away.

The point is, I want you to have to tie them up.  I don't want them to just stand there like a dumb vehicle.  People tie their horses up in real life.  There were hitching posts in front of every building back in the day.  Or else your horse (and cart!) would run away.

The idea is also that you set up established outposts, and the first step is building a hitching post there.  That allows you to establish a "trade route" between the city and the outpost.  This is another reason for roads:  to mark the path to the outpost where the hitching post is located.

So I really don't want you to just "park" a horse wherever, tied to any tree.

Regarding eating along the way...  well, you could imagine setting up hitching posts at regular intervals along the way, at roughly the spot where future travelers will also need to stop for lunch.  Also where you will need to stop on the way back.  In other words, trans-generational civilization.

As you can see, the horse isn't "broken."  It just is a more detailed experience than most people are expecting.  The horse, like everything else in the game, is a problem for you, the players to solve.  It's not unsolvable.  But it doesn't work like a horse "should" work in a game, which is just a way to make you go faster with no other consequences or wrinkles.  In fact, I'd say the horse isn't wrinkly enough yet.  It should also get hungry along the way...

That said, if you don't even have time to build the hitching post before the damn thing runs away....  I'll play with it and think about smoothing at least that part over.

Currently, the horse runs away the moment you get off.  Even if I wanted to make a post for the horse somewhere, it would be impossible without losing the horse (or spending a stupid amount of time chasing after it).

While I get your 'vision', the reality is that horses that are tamed 1. don't run off immediately, and 2. can be tied to trees/branches/etc. during travels.  The way it works as of now is absolutely infuriating.

#11 2018-06-27 03:52:36

Trick

Morti wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

In fact, I'd say the horse isn't wrinkly enough yet.  It should also get hungry along the way...

Way to go Trick, now you've done it.

GODDAMNIT!

smile

#12 2018-06-27 09:29:28

FounderOne

In reality horses don't run that fast away.

Also tieing them up a tree is a thing. Sure in towns were fences needed, because you could tie more horses to a place and there were not that many trees around.

At the moment with a modified client you can find your horse relatively fast, but with normal view you just run around a good
Amount of time just find your horse. Most of the times it is faster and less stressfull to just grab a normal cart and gather the stuff.

Sure the cart is slower to get to the spot, but in most cases you want to gather one material at a time. So you need to change places constantly.

With the cart you just walk, park at the spot, load in, move to the next spot, load in untill it's full.

With the horse you first need to set up sevarl fences, you need to craft them, you need to place them, after you placed one, your horse runs away and you are looking a while for it, so you got it and you place the next one and search again. Then you can gather your stuff.

You have then a fixed spot, so you need to get the material by walking, put it in the horse, walk again, get something walk back.

So there are two things that cost time with horses, placing the fences and walking to the material, get material and walk back to the fence and this is the main advantage of the carts.

Walking ways are most of the time not that long that you win time with the better speed of the horse.

Just in a few situations a horse makes sense, for example a really big cluster of cactus or maple trees.

In a lot more cases horses make no sense to use. If you just have small amounts of resources near by or non regenerating materials for example iron, clay, soil,...

I see two ways how to make horses more useful.

1) longer ways to resources, but bigger clusters.

2) horse speed when unmanned slower and maybe a second or two longer untill it walkes away.

In most towns I see horses but no one using them. So a change is for sure needed.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#13 2018-06-27 17:30:09

Glassius

We still don't have domestic horses

1. Domestic horses tend to follow humans. They like us
2. More wild horse races are more likely to run away. Then, you must find the leader and bring it back home. Others will followe ( I know this from this blog . But still, they just like wide area and search for better grass, they do not avoid human.
3. Domesticated horses are known to go back to stable when are free to go. People used it to their advantage, as they could drunk sleep in the cart while horse carried them home. I know this from the father, who worked with horse plow a long time ago.

While we still not breed horses, their current behavior is OK. But domeaticated horses should be more menageble.

#14 2018-06-27 19:19:24

YAHG

#3 sounds fucking amazing...

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#15 2018-06-27 19:34:19

Glassius

I've just searched an Internet to find out, if my father told me fairytailes
Drunk Amish carried home
Drunk cowboys not always carried home. Only, if horses treated well. They could also abandon you
And one drunk cowboy did not carried home. Police interrupted horse attempts wink

As hilarious as it sounds, it seems true smile

Last edited by Glassius (2018-06-27 19:35:31)

#16 2018-06-27 22:12:00

Lepisma

Gummyworm1270 wrote:

What about hobbling the horse? It would allow the horse to move but slow it down substantially. All of the IRL designs I've seen involve metal pieces so it could be made difficult to craft. Of course there could be a chance of the horse breaking it and running off anyway.

I've suggested this on the Reddit section a few times, I think it would be great!
There are many styles of hobble that do not involve metal, however, as metal can actually be dangerous to the horse's feet. A strip of hide/leather/rope will do just fine. Two lassos, maybe? Seal hide cut into strips with flint and sewn? Bear hide, if you want to make it harder? We don't have too many uses for bears or seals yet, rugs and coats aside.
http://www.thinklikeahorse.org/index-12.html

Last edited by Lepisma (2018-06-27 22:13:31)

#17 2018-06-28 06:41:01

Gummyworm1270

Lepisma wrote:

I've suggested this on the Reddit section a few times, I think it would be great!
There are many styles of hobble that do not involve metal, however, as metal can actually be dangerous to the horse's feet. A strip of hide/leather/rope will do just fine. Two lassos, maybe? Seal hide cut into strips with flint and sewn? Bear hide, if you want to make it harder? We don't have too many uses for bears or seals yet, rugs and coats aside.
http://www.thinklikeahorse.org/index-12.html

Ok cool. I was just going off the limited info on the wikipedia page. I suggested metal just because it shouldn't be something that is super easy to make, but I like your bear hide idea better.

Of course a hobble could have disadvantages as well. If you leave that horse alone for too long he still might wander away.

Board footer