One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 02:00:33

katastic

Resolution / Zoom

To Jason R.:

Have you considered zooming out the game?

- It's physically dizzying/nauseating to run for more than a screen or two if I don't unfocus my eyes.

- It also seems like you could recognize larger patterns as "landmarks" to actually find your way around.

I'm not talking super far out. But 30-50% more screen area would be way better. We're not talking about "5 towns on the screen." but rather "I can see more than 4 plots of farm"

Thanks.

#2 2018-03-05 05:36:56

Omenpapa

Re: Resolution / Zoom

This would be a lovely addition, and most likely lower my death rate of running into a wolf too...

#3 2018-03-05 13:08:21

wut

Ya it's way too zoomed in, also the tiles are huge so you need to run around way too much to find stuff that other people miss place...
Also invisible wolfs is a problem that can be kinda solved with less zoom.

#4 2018-03-05 19:50:05

Milkman

Would love to see this change but I'm afraid it would render some of the smallest stuff completely unclickable (seeds, arrowhead). Maybe mousewheel zooming could be implemented.

#5 2018-03-05 22:53:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

First, the tech:
Well, I picked the zoom many years ago, and it's deeply integrated into the game on many levels, including the protocol.  I.e., it's not a simple change for me to show you "more tiles."  (Also, the bigger the visible area, the larger the map chunks and database pulls, the more load on the servers, the fewer players each server can support, etc.)

Second, the look/feel:
All the art is hand-drawn and scanned at screen resolution, making it all "perfect."  Scaling adds blurring or aliasing, depending on which way it is scaled.  I spend a lot of time on the artwork, with all those fine pen lines.  I want that stuff looking as crisp and as detailed as possible.

The game has a close zoom, with relatively large tiles and characters (128x128 tiles) to give a kind of intimate feeling as opposed to a distant "god's view" of the world.

Regarding motion sickness, I hear you!  Scrolling is the worst for motion sickness.  You might want to try playing in a smaller window instead of fullscreen on a big monitor.

#6 2019-07-02 01:05:15

Three

Well how does it feel niw when zoom clients are the norm?

Board footer