One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 00:39:28

Uncle Gus

Putting all my mods together so people can try them out

Download this and fire it up to join my server.

It's not a properly set up mod yet in terms of content but I have merged all of my code mods together so that people can try them out. Here's what is available for testing on this server:

Armour
You'll notice straight away that you spawn with a full set of fur clothes and a knife. This is so that you can test armour. Stab someone and the clothes will take the damage. Eventually they will break and then you can stab them in the soft bits.

Adam and Eve
You'll also notice that you might spawn as an adult male. In fact, Adam spawns before Eve. Eve will then have a baby, provided (an) Adam is still nearby. You will also notice that if you are born as a baby, you will have a father. Relationships are calculated accordingly, taking into account both mother and father.

Water
You should be able to find the ocean nearby, with some streams flowing into it. You can build a raft out of four straight shafts and a rope, but make sure you build it on the water. Oh, and don't take any notice of the fact that your legs disappear when you're riding on it.

Stun
Is there somebody being a nuisance? (I mean, apart from running around stabbing people). This one will be harder to test without some co-ordination. Pick up something heavy and hard, like a stone or a branch and right click on somebody with it. Nothing will happen. Then get a second person to do the same (within about 20 seconds). The victim will be incapacitated! Keep whacking them to stop them from moving, or wait 20 seconds and let them recover. They can still talk and plead for help while you keep them subdued.

Breastfeeding
This one will be a bit harder to notice as well, but if a woman is breastfeeding, she will not be able to have a baby for the next 30 seconds.

Birth control
Again, slightly difficult to notice without a few people playing, but if you say something like "NO BABY", then you will not be included in the algorithm for spawning a baby. In other words, if you are a woman, you will not have a baby. If you are a man, you will not be counted as a potential father when the server is checking for women who can have a baby. You can opt back in by saying "BABY YES".

I am particularly interested in what people think of the stun mechanic and its applications for grief prevention. Let me know what you think of these mechanics!

#2 2018-06-26 00:41:00

Lotus

Re: Putting all my mods together so people can try them out

Excited for this!!!!!

#3 2018-06-26 00:52:31

Uncle Gus

Turned off spawn knife (there are so many knives at spawn area) and turned on spawn rope, so that you can make rafts without running out of milkweed on the starting island.

#4 2018-06-26 01:18:25

Uncle Gus

Oh, and water biome has been reduced from ocean size down to regular biome size, so more like lakes now.

#5 2018-06-26 17:33:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Overloading speech with commands is interesting.... it's a nice way around adding extra UI (which is why I did it for naming babies).

Still kinda feel like unplanned babies is really important to the rhythm of the game.  Also unplanned baby droughts.

#6 2018-06-26 23:48:27

Uncle Gus

For sure, but this is an experiment in trying out the ideas. At least this way we get rid of the "what if?" question. Thanks for checking it out!

#7 2018-06-27 09:54:25

Lum

I think it's nice that you thought about consent for the Adams/males if they don't want to be the father of some random kid

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#8 2018-06-27 19:11:12

Glassius

jasonrohrer wrote:

Still kinda feel like unplanned babies is really important to the rhythm of the game.  Also unplanned baby droughts.

When I gave a suggestion about hugging based reproduction, Kinrany tried to convince me, it won't change anything. That people would hug each other like crazy rabbits smile

I think, both would happen: abstinents and crazy rabbits. Both dangerous for village, complex and requiring players to solve the problem. Uncle's birth control is a little... soulless?

#9 2018-06-27 21:15:29

Uncle Gus

Yeah, I'm personally not in favour of it at all, but I made the mod because it was simple enough to do, so I figured people could try it out. It would take a large player base on a server at the same time all actively using it to get a decent feel for it though.

#10 2018-06-28 10:30:35

Lum

Which is why Jason should maybe organize some testing days from time to time where we all get thrown in a testing server with new, uncertain features to try out for him so he knows if they could be implemented or not

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer