One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 01:15:55

Norgg

Birth rate will drop as life expectancy increases

I just realised that as we get towards more people being in sustainable settlements, the birth rate will drop (possibly drastically) as fewer people die young and have to try and respawn repeatedly. If everyone managed to consistently live to old age on a server with a stable number of players I think you'd expect to only have one or two children per lifetime.

It's interesting how this roughly fits with how birth rates have interacted with infant mortality in reality.

#2 2018-03-05 01:19:28

Uncle Gus

Re: Birth rate will drop as life expectancy increases

And eventually, all children will be born into the same settlement/family line.

#3 2018-03-05 02:34:08

brianj

I don't see how being born to the same settlement follows from the first point. Does the birth selection algorithm prefer to put you in a family line you are already connected to? If so, that's awesome.

I might go cpp spelunking...

#4 2018-03-05 04:07:29

Uncle Gus

No, it just means that as settlements get more developed and can sustain more people, there will be a higher chance of being born into it, since there will be more people there. Effectively the human population will start getting gathered into nodes, and if there is a low population on the server, like if there's a disconnect or people just go to bed or whatever, then one of those nodes might go out, meaning the next players will be born in one of the remaining nodes. Repeat until there's only one.

#5 2018-03-05 04:10:16

Twinsen

It's only because there is server cap so birth-rate drops as people staying alive longer.

Board footer