One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-24 12:35:31

Thecolorthursday

Question for Jason:Do you have any sort of plan for the game's future?

If you look at the trailer of this game, you will see all sorts of advanced stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT4JktcVQuE
But at this point in time, the technology of the future seems unreachable.
How could you get a car, for instance?
Tons of metal would be necessary, and well as a factory and an oil pump and refinery for its fuel.
And how would tall buildings be made?
So far, the game is pretty much 2-dimensional.
And what will happen when or if the technology in the game surpasses that of the modern age?
What ideas will you draw from to advance civilization, Jason?
I think we can all agree that it's time to focus on technology and make a plan for how the game will approach the future.

use she for me please

#2 2018-06-24 19:57:09

Rebel

Re: Question for Jason:Do you have any sort of plan for the game's future?

He has said that new tech has to have a "Need" to be made, that you HAVE to make it in order to survive even longer, for example, you "Need" compost because soil runs out etc..
By this rule, the game should Never get to a state of calm, the town should always have to be looking forward to solving resource problems, thus tech that makes life easier I doubt will be made, things like pie makers or whatever UNLESS it fits the "need" approach. like steel tools are a better item then stone but you "need" steel because stones and rope end up running out, and there are different steel tools that allow you to craft different stuff that is then "needed" to survive like wells.

I don't know if we will ever see cars, I don't see the "need" for them, then being said he added ridable horses.

Only time will tell we are slowly getting more advanced content like pigs and meds. It would be nice to see a road map of tech, i just hope there is no more big jumps like stone tools to steel tools even tho I understand why he skipped other metals.

#3 2018-06-24 20:05:26

forestglade

The longest generations now are maybe fifty long? Thanks to griefers and lack of being able to plant trees. So technology cannot advance further.

#4 2018-06-25 01:13:22

Neo

Well we saw cars and future stuff in the trailer, He would have to add them eventually right?

#5 2018-06-25 01:25:27

Gummyworm1270

forestglade wrote:

The longest generations now are maybe fifty long? Thanks to griefers and lack of being able to plant trees. So technology cannot advance further.

Unless, of course technology is added that allows us to better fight griefers and plant trees.

#6 2018-06-25 01:54:42

zennyrpg

Gummyworm1270 wrote:
forestglade wrote:

Unless, of course technology is added that allows us to better fight griefers and plant trees.

I was about to say that planting trees is hardly high tech, but then a remembered that fruit trees are usually grafted.  Grafting fruit tress is totally something Jason would put into this game...

#7 2018-06-25 02:02:36

YAHG

Forestry update can not come soon enough.

"The griefer will always be with us"

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-06-25 02:27:52

Gummyworm1270

Yeah grafting definitely seems like something that would end up in the game. But the rootstock would need to be grown from seed before grafting, which would require cold stratification and a long period of time to grow to the desired size. Also once that tree produces fruit you're gonna need ladders to actually reach it. And then all kinds of recipes for the apples. Hopefully hard apple cider ends up ingame.

#9 2018-06-25 02:29:30

YAHG

Gummyworm1270 wrote:

Yeah grafting definitely seems like something that would end up in the game. But the rootstock would need to be grown from seed before grafting, which would require cold stratification and a long period of time to grow to the desired size. Also once that tree produces fruit you're gonna need ladders to actually reach it. And then all kinds of recipes for the apples. Hopefully hard apple cider ends up ingame.

Apples are cool, I was hoping that if we left saplings alone for like 2 hours we could have trees is all smile.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-06-25 02:59:59

Gummyworm1270

Yeah growing actual trees would be nice too but given everything else in this game there probably going to be a pain to grow.

#11 2018-06-25 03:15:35

zennyrpg

Gummyworm1270 wrote:

Yeah growing actual trees would be nice too but given everything else in this game there probably going to be a pain to grow.

I really enjoy what a pain everything is.  You can never just make something, everything is complicated.  Like if we ever get bread we are probably going to have to leave out a start to gather wild yeast or something.  Its cool that you can't just be like flour + water = bread.  Because that's just not true to life.

The forestry update should add coppicing as a way to create more straight shafts.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

#12 2018-06-25 03:18:59

forestglade

Gummyworm1270 wrote:

Oak trees grow with just squirrels hiding seeds. I just see it more it would take till the next generation to harvest.

#13 2018-06-25 03:22:06

Styok

zennyrpg wrote:

It's cool that you can't just be like flour + water = bread.  Because that's just not true to life.

I mean, you could always make damper!

#14 2018-06-25 04:15:28

Acozi

I mean LOADS of stuff has been added since release. I think as time progresses so will resources. Eventually eves will be almost like cavemen compared to being born in an advanced city.

Board footer