One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-06-26 13:54:15

sc0rp

Re: Give birth to the killer of your people

mikekchar wrote:

This is basically the same conversation that plays on this forum over and over again.  There are some games where people are intentionally asses to each other.  Eve Online comes to mind.  The entertainment of the game is to form alliances, fight against someone else, and betray each other.  There is a rich meta game where people are literally horrible to each other for the sake of getting an advantage in the game.  The designers of the game do this because they want to build that kind of game.

That's not fair comparison. Forming aliances if all people are anonimous and you last only an hour is hard and griefers don't need to form any aliances to be succesful.  And in Eve Online you need to put something at risk if you want to grief.  If people retaliate, you don't respawn with perfect fleet to instantly grief again.  And there are plenty of mechanisms to curb griefing: sectors where you cannot grief new players, hisec sectors where your options of PvP are very limited, if you decide to flee you don't need to leave all your stuff and start completely from scratch, if somebody follows you repeatedly you can report harrasment and he can get punished and I don't think that somebody "roleplaying a pedo" in Eve would keep his account active for long.

Eve's version of OHOL griefing would look something like: griefer is spawned near you, uses your money to build his fleet, attacks you screaming "DIE NIG*** BUHAHAHA", and if you decide to flee he is helpfully respawned at your new location to repeat the process until you leave game for good. If you try to petition Eve to do something, you get the answer that it's encouraged, legit gameplay. What's the fuss?

mikekchar wrote:

The problem, in my estimation, is not that one side is clearly right and that the other side is clearly wrong.

I disagree.  One side is clearly right other side is cleary wrong.  One side is trying to have fun themselves and with the others, other side is just trying to spoil the fun for as many players as possible.  Griefers need non-griefers to play the game, non-griefers don't need griefers around to play the game.  That's why when any system is proposed that will let griefers play only among themselves, they get so whiny on the forum, that it looks like they are the majority of the players.  When you suggest that they will still be able to play the game with other griefers, they compare it to being sent to hell.  Really?  You said that's so much fun.

mikekchar wrote:

It's that the game is designed in such a way that griefers (even if they are reluctant to call themselves that) and non-griefers are brought together.  Specifically and intentionally, the game does not prefer one to the other.

Game clearly prefers griefers.  It tries to be survival game at same time, and because of that it gives very OP tools to use by them.  How otherwise could you explain the fact that one griefer can wreck and make totally unhabitable whole town built over several generations and with dozen of people in it?  Can some random just spawned player in Eve destroy in couple of minutes long lasting alliance with dozen of people in it?

mikekchar wrote:

I think that's a big mistake from a game design perspective, even if it is interesting from a social experiment perspective.   A choice needs to be made.

+1
Some karma system that ensures, that if they want to grief you they must to do so from the outside and work their ass off to prepare.  And some things should just get you account banned.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-26 15:18:52)

#52 2018-06-26 14:37:59

TrustyWay

Hackers and spammers aren't getting fun with you but of you while talking advantage of the game, ofc they should get ban, they are a different story.

Bullying is something you can deal with in game and it creates more about your personal life. I have been a mean guy that stole food from other villages for mine and make the few survivors of raided villages our slaves. It was mean but it is part of the game. You shouldn't take things personally. Even this homosexual who raised a boy as a lover is acceptable to us but this african guy, who you talked of, will maybe be offended by that. Homosexuality is as much a bad behaviour as racism in many countries in the world.

If you keep not hurting anybody we are pretty limited in our fun. We will almost end up like evergreen collwge situation, reverse fascism.

As I said you still can stab them if you want to, therefore I think you shouldn't stay on your mentality and take everything seriously. People only are pretending and playing, they are not driven political raiders with hard point of view willing to make you a rascist nor hardcore homosexual anything like that. Most of these people you meet on discord are nice in real life, they use game to empty, not fillfull themselves of even more correctness. When you take time to meet them, you will see they are just like you and me.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-26 14:59:10)

#53 2018-06-26 15:35:30

forestglade

No, we don’t have to tolerate pedophile and racists, in whatever community.

But in game small towns most people are focused on survival, not defending against griefers. If griefers are part of the mechanic, we need more ways to defend. Right now there is a power imbalance.

#54 2018-06-26 16:02:12

sc0rp

TrustyWay wrote:

Hackers and spammers aren't getting fun with you but of you while talking advantage of the game, ofc they should get ban, they are a different story.

I cannot be sure what intentions of all griefers are, but that doesn't change anything for me - I don't have fun playing with them.  The main reason being that the things they can do to disrupt the towns/villages/Eves' camps are way OP.  It's not fun playing the game rigged so much in someone's favor.  And the only way to not play with griefers ATM is to not play at all.

TrustyWay wrote:

Bullying is something you can deal with in game and it creates more about your personal life. I have been a mean guy that stole food from other villages for mine and make the few survivors of raided villages our slaves. It was mean but it is part of the game.

If you wanna to go raid other town, you'll get a horse, a cart, weapons and supplies from me.  Some tactics still are OP as should be nerfed, or require team effort.  But that's town vs town play.  Danger is clearly coming from the outside.  If things are balanced well, I may even want to join in.  Unfortunately that's not what I'm seeing.  100% of cases I've seen so far is someone griefing town/village/Eve's camp they were born in.

TrustyWay wrote:

If you keep not hurting anybody we are pretty limited in our fun. We will almost end up like evergreen collwge situation, reverse fascism.

Hurting members of your own aliance in Eve Online is not good idea.  Fighting between alliances is.  Why can't we have some mechanism in OHOL that gives similar results?

#55 2018-06-26 16:06:32

JonySky
Website

TrustyWay
I honestly do not care if you see this kind of behavior well, but in the same way that you respect those ways of thinking ... also respect my decision to hide chats and toxic users .... respect the possibility that I can hide the messages pedophiles, racists, terrorists, etc ...

this is only my decision, I do not force anyone to play as want, I will continue playing with a griefer but at least I will not have to read your shit

possibly the griefer will be talking alone ... but that will give me exactly the same.

If this person finds that nobody answers him, maybe he starts acting differently, or not ...

this option does not encourage his "reverse fascism"

what do you think?

Last edited by JonySky (2018-06-26 16:12:11)

#56 2018-06-26 16:12:20

fatalwolf

Its an easy fix just have a report system that is based off of the family tree. If you die by murder you should be able to report that player, if that player gets a certain amount of reports it should be a temporary ban or make it so they can only be born to people around their same karma level. If none are available then make them spawn as an eve. This can also be used to reward good and hard working players, by allowing people that die of old age to thumbs up someone on the family tree to increase that persons karma. Also if Jason is able to blacklist first and last names I dont know why he hasen't decided to black list racial slurs and offensive terms.

Buff fishing

#57 2018-06-26 16:39:21

stickyflypaper

I hope we can someday get to a point where we can deal with people in game in ways other than killing them.

#58 2018-06-26 16:59:58

TrustyWay

sc0rp wrote:

about village defense

Yeah having more neighboor could change who some people will kill others. Strangers instead of family.

And if a village gets enslave, well, that bad luck but it is life. I have seen many people okay when you make then ur bois.

JonySky wrote:

TrustyWay
I honestly do not care

[...]
I will not have to read your shit

[...]
what do you think?

that was pretty rude when I take times to write to you and then you ask me what I think ? So you can keep being negative ?

fatalwolf wrote:

Its an easy fix just have a report system that is based off of the family tree. If you die by murder you should be able to report that player, if that player gets a certain amount of reports it should be a temporary ban or make it so they can only be born to people around their same karma level. If none are available then make them spawn as an eve. This can also be used to reward good and hard working players, by allowing people that die of old age to thumbs up someone on the family tree to increase that persons karma. Also if Jason is able to blacklist first and last names I dont know why he hasen't decided to black list racial slurs and offensive terms.

The problem with karma has been told many times. Search tab might help you finding these topics : Easy to bypass. Report could seems great ut should be used only for cheaters instead of people disagreeing with you, the problem with report is that you can send the report link to the forum and say what ever you want. Jason wants us to deal with problem by ouselves, that is kinda the point of the game.

stickyflypaper wrote:

I hope we can someday get to a point where we can deal with people in game in ways other than killing them.

We can't wait for ropes

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-26 17:06:31)

#59 2018-06-26 17:02:00

JonySky
Website

TrustyWay I did not mean to be rude is my English, I did not mean you sorry if you felt bad, it was not my intention and I was not referring to you, I was referring to the griefer

I use Google Translation and it is not comfortable or very effective, I'm sorry my English is not native

Last edited by JonySky (2018-06-26 17:09:12)

#60 2018-06-26 17:09:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Long thread here, someone else emailed me about this too.

Right now, suicide before age 30 does protect you from the lineage ban, and committing murder has no effect on the lineage ban (only getting murdered), so a griefer could kill some people, and then suicide before revenge is taken, and come back for another full life.

Will fix this so that wounding someone counts as being 100% in a family line, causing the lineage ban to kick in.

#61 2018-06-26 17:20:13

TrustyWay

No problemo jony I felt that you had few troubles in english. ^^

So yes indeed. You can use passive ways such as ignoring them.  People are social and if they mistake they will try to find forgiveness, they will try to be kind and usefull. Be cool, any violence can screw it, they will feel threaten and wont try to seek your forgiveness. Maybe they will kill you.

I usually encourage my people so they feel part of my village and if they say bad things I try to get along with them, change subject topic and make them work so they stop. Never had any problem with people except very few really mean ones. I killed only one guy for his thoughts, he was an antispider religious worshipper.

For griefers destroying the place, just kill them that is the only solution.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-26 17:21:04)

#62 2018-06-26 18:29:58

JonySky
Website

Jasonrohrer !, the lineage ban is working correctly, I think it helps to create long generations and it is very satisfying to see more than 50 generations, I think this is due in part to the lineage ban, anyway in my initial post I do not I complained about this system, neither the murderers, nor the annoying players ... I was complaining about those who use the game chat with racist comments, pedophile comments, insults to other players, etc ...

believe me I did not want such a long post, but I defend my idea that it is necessary to do something so that nobody in the game feels offended through chat ...

TrustyWay thanks for understanding me!
believe me when I tell him that I know exactly what he is talking about, what he refers to as "inverse fascism" and I tell him that I would love for people to behave without being unpleasant so as not to need laws, prohibitions, bans, etc. .. but in this world that's a fantasy

Last edited by JonySky (2018-06-26 18:31:32)

#63 2018-06-26 23:32:13

YAHG

jasonrohrer wrote:

Long thread here, someone else emailed me about this too.

Right now, suicide before age 30 does protect you from the lineage ban, and committing murder has no effect on the lineage ban (only getting murdered), so a griefer could kill some people, and then suicide before revenge is taken, and come back for another full life.

Will fix this so that wounding someone counts as being 100% in a family line, causing the lineage ban to kick in.

Scaling the ban based on the time lived is better way of handling peeps who will suicide at 29. Seems like this guy might have been one of them.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#64 2018-06-27 00:04:56

Superfun2
Banned

I was the "unplesant player"!!!

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#65 2018-06-27 00:35:51

Styok

stickyflypaper wrote:

Yeah, it has occurred to me that more non-lethal combat could actually be helpful.
As it is now, it's as though even non-griefers are like, "oh, my sister/nephew/cousin/whatever stole my basket, looks like I have a valid reason to get out my knife and stab them," or if they don't have a knife or bow they'll devote the rest of their life to making one to take revenge.

It would probably be healthier if such disagreements could be solved with a bit of a usually-harmless fistfight... and that would lay a framework for unrepentant griefers being mobbed and killed.
I don't know, I'm just musing here. It seems to me like the game needs less combat, not more, but apparently that's not an option - and besides, as long as there is no way to ban griefers (or restrict their server access, which is the solution I prefer) you need to be able to kill them somehow.

#66 2018-06-27 19:20:43

Glassius

I warned, system punish for griefer, which is lineage ban, will force Jason to rewrite it all the times, as griefers will be adapting to it. Currently, the best adaptation is to buy a second account smile

The concept of souls/karma would release developer from this burden and give it to players. Yet, Jason, usually so prone to make players solve problems on their own, is hesitant here smile

#67 2018-06-27 19:46:02

YAHG

The best part about the Karma idea is don't have to remember all the reasons why
it will be bad, cause someone will remind us all again soon enough when the next
karma thread comes around big_smile..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#68 2018-06-27 21:41:23

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

The best part about the Karma idea is don't have to remember all the reasons why
it will be bad, cause someone will remind us all again soon enough when the next

The player base is steadily declining.  Any idea how to fix that, instead of criticising others?

#69 2018-06-28 00:09:12

TheRedBug

The player base is declining steadily, then goes up for a short amount of time every new updates comes out.

Once people have crafted everything, they stop playing(unless you like the game alot or you are like me and make 1000 stew pots every games)

Im sure when the games gets even more content, and we start leaving the irom age, we'll get more players.

Also, we had a huge boom of players due to some youtubers making random videos on this game.

All this game need is more advertising. More videos. More threads. Spread the word. Spread the message.

Spread the stew.

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#70 2018-06-28 00:09:54

Glassius

sc0rp wrote:
YAHG wrote:

The player base is steadily declining.  Any idea how to fix that, instead of criticising others?

By suggestions smile For example: apply karma system smile

#71 2018-06-28 02:43:34

YAHG

The game isn't going up higher in tech, it is going to the sides. Just change the trailer and advert on main page, it isn't true and hasn't been for a while.
The way the game is set up with the map cull etc. it tends towards starting over again and again.
You can say that we are supposed to like to just contribute to something we will never see again and will
be deleted soon anyways but not a TON of people are gonna want to do that, especially with poor in-game
communication and with none of their friends.
You can say the game is not supposed to be with friends and it is about the meaningless of your little life etc.
but that isn't what makes games popular.
He might do the karma thing anyways? I think it will be a disaster.
Saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it a good plan.

#72 2018-06-28 06:54:28

TrustyWay

YAHG wrote:

The game isn't going up higher in tech, it is going to the sides. Just change the trailer and advert on main page, it isn't true and hasn't been for a while.
The way the game is set up with the map cull etc. it tends towards starting over again and again.
You can say that we are supposed to like to just contribute to something we will never see again and will
be deleted soon anyways but not a TON of people are gonna want to do that, especially with poor in-game
communication and with none of their friends.
You can say the game is not supposed to be with friends and it is about the meaningless of your little life etc.
but that isn't what makes games popular.
He might do the karma thing anyways? I think it will be a disaster.
Saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it a good plan.

Yeah, he removed good gameplay parts, I litteraly stop playing because of how boring the game has become.

It is exactly like before but with everything in less. We are only waiting that he understands what was good.

Now saying love you to your mom is only meta game to get their stuff, as nobody says nothing. Mom will feel guilty and give stuff. Shrekt. I'm here to realplay mom, not roleplay, give stuffs or you're a bad mom and kill u.

Thia game took a bad turn and we all know it.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-28 06:59:11)

#73 2018-06-28 07:46:08

Uncle Gus

Another clusterfuck thread? Didn't we just have one of these?

#74 2018-06-28 07:47:08

Lum

Karma is ok as long as it's just a way of measuring the amount of reports one got. The longer you go without any, the more your karma goes back up to normal. Wouldn't that deal with disruptors like these rape roleplayers you talk about? In a way that wouldn't reward the good guys for being decent people, just punish the bad guys for being disrespectful

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer