One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 00:15:00

Laura

Assholes ...

Oh no, what happend?
A couple of hours ago there are so many Players asking REALLY ... annoying questions ...

- nice tits
- lets fuck

Gosh, where are all the brats come from?

#2 2018-03-05 00:20:11

Twinsen

Re: Assholes ...

Laura wrote:

Oh no, what happend?
A couple of hours ago there are so many Players asking REALLY ... annoying questions ...

- nice tits
- lets fuck

Gosh, where are all the brats come from?

Happened to many games and these people are from Doomed Sunday where all settlements are doomed with crowd like these.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-05 00:20:26)

#3 2018-03-05 02:44:28

Doctor Flintrock

I think I've encountered this person...

#4 2018-03-05 03:49:05

jord1990

the game is getting some traction on youtube and twitch. getting attention is good and it helps the game grow, but allot of youtubers only care about their entertainment factor and not about there behavior. so you'll get allot of people copying the 'Funny' behavior. it will pass when they get bored, but now with weapons more readily available be prepared to run into some griefers. I know I already have.

#5 2018-03-05 20:16:55

SovietBear

Hey Laura, did you just show grandpa your secret seeds farm few minutes ago?

#6 2018-03-05 20:32:59

aeiowu

i encountered about 4 griefers during a lifetime (i'm not sure the name of the settlement) and it actually played out interestingly.

first thing that happened was some able-bodied toddler was spouting "i need the knife!" and i asked why and they said "to murder you". the elder ran to the knife, got it and just pocketed it to diffuse the situation.
later, a young blonde boy tried to shoot me with an arrow, but missed. i went to the elder who now had two knives in her backpack, and we found and killed him.
next, an eve was inside the main building eating carrots constantly. one of my children yelled out and i went to the elder. elder took care of her and i cleaned up the bones. she ate probably 12 carrots but we took care of it before too much damage was done.
finally, a young toddler was found scarfing carrots on the southern farm, nearing the end of my life i decided to make myself useful and chase him off. even though i couldn't do anything, it was temporarily effective. i went back to town and died soon after that.

there's a bit of a need for law enforcement/guards. it worked, sort of, for the elder to have all and any knives in the settlement on her person. you can't say "don't have knives or bows" because griefers can still scarf endlessly, and that _must_ be stopped. though you can pick things up to hold them safe, that is rarely effective for a settlement with a lot of valuable food. so while 1 elder makes sense, it might be that you need at least two guards with knives so they can take care of these problems. it's tough to stop people who are busy working and get their attention in this game, so having a few guards would probably stop most problems before they became catastrophic.

#7 2018-03-05 20:51:44

Laura

SovietBear wrote:

Hey Laura, did you just show grandpa your secret seeds farm few minutes ago?

YES it was MEEE big_smile
I make another post about it!
Are you the Grandpa??? <3

#8 2018-03-05 20:54:46

Laura

aeiowu wrote:

i encountered about 4 griefers during a lifetime (i'm not sure the name of the settlement) and it actually played out interestingly.

first thing that happened was some able-bodied toddler was spouting "i need the knife!" and i asked why and they said "to murder you". the elder ran to the knife, got it and just pocketed it to diffuse the situation.
later, a young blonde boy tried to shoot me with an arrow, but missed. i went to the elder who now had two knives in her backpack, and we found and killed him.
next, an eve was inside the main building eating carrots constantly. one of my children yelled out and i went to the elder. elder took care of her and i cleaned up the bones. she ate probably 12 carrots but we took care of it before too much damage was done.
finally, a young toddler was found scarfing carrots on the southern farm, nearing the end of my life i decided to make myself useful and chase him off. even though i couldn't do anything, it was temporarily effective. i went back to town and died soon after that.

there's a bit of a need for law enforcement/guards. it worked, sort of, for the elder to have all and any knives in the settlement on her person. you can't say "don't have knives or bows" because griefers can still scarf endlessly, and that _must_ be stopped. though you can pick things up to hold them safe, that is rarely effective for a settlement with a lot of valuable food. so while 1 elder makes sense, it might be that you need at least two guards with knives so they can take care of these problems. it's tough to stop people who are busy working and get their attention in this game, so having a few guards would probably stop most problems before they became catastrophic.

Shit. This sounds hard ...
Oh my, WHY someone buy the beautiful game for 20$ and make this shit hmm
I must learn to make a knife to kill this assholes, so that normal and fun gamer have
a lot of fun and the assholes die =_= ...
(Is that the way i become a soziopath???) perhaps.
Maybe i try to get a death note ... wink

#9 2018-03-05 23:51:58

Matok

I feel like people who eat everything in sight as fast as possible should die from overeating.

It's such a low effort way of trolling people.

#10 2018-03-06 01:01:12

jord1990

Matok wrote:

I feel like people who eat everything in sight as fast as possible should die from overeating.

It's such a low effort way of trolling people.

That is actually a great suggestion!!!!!!!

#11 2018-03-06 01:19:30

Laura

Yes, wonderful idea smile!
A bit "gain weight" is ok but when i read (here in the Forum) that a Player
eat 20 carrots in a Minute ...

#12 2018-03-06 03:05:45

Laura

I can´t belive it ...
Born to a farm again with bad farming and a Baby Pops up.
I build my secret seed farm far ago and take the Baby with me.
I told her not eating, just for seeds to save the City.
And then she get hair ...
And start eating all the carrots and run away.

She killed with this ... an entire City.

I want to give up.

#13 2018-03-06 03:10:12

Phate

I'd rather deal with a word troll all day long, versus the three different times I had PvP trolls. This last round, both of them were clothed well, one was carrying
a cart full of food for the other one.  That second one just used a bow and killed all the family, one by one they exclaimed "Why" as they died.  I was able to
get away cause I've had this happen before.  But they didn't need our stuff, they had plenty of supplies and instead of helping civilization they spent their life
going from town to town wiping it out.  I know this because after I fled and came back, they were gone down the road.  I like to see combat possible in this game,
but its going to get to a point you just kill any one new you see on your land, and I think the game is better when people work together to advance technology,
instead of trying to do the opposite.  It just makes the game a waste of time with these types.  I'm extra miffed, because I found one of my kids from a previous
life and we just found each other and then dude shows up to ruin the day,  good thing he was noobish enough to not be able to kill me, but I just ended up
starving myself because no reason to go on without a family, especially when eight generations were lost when there was plenty of food and gear.  A rando mom
came in right before I did end myself, and I told her settle there, and my last year or two was talking to her new baby, so at least life went on there, but my family
was no more sad

Last edited by Phate (2018-03-06 03:10:34)

#14 2018-03-06 18:14:56

jord1990

Keep in the mind that posts like also give people Ideas or the atention they are looking for.

#15 2018-03-06 22:46:40

Phate

Or they give Jason some food for thought on perhaps finding ways to nerf these types of people.  If people want to ruin a game, you have to take away the ways they ruin it.  For example, Friday the 13th is a good example.  Little kids went around killing other councilors for lols, when it was hard enough to survive as it is.   Over time it just grew to a point that, they just took the pvp element out of the game.  Its sad when you have to do that, but at the same time, if you remove what attracts the trolls, they are bored and leave, and you get just players that want to help.  And if the goal of the game is advancing society, these people create the opposite effect, and thus you could lose your main player base over time if it grows to a point that its pointless to play.  Until there is a name system in the game, and a way to identify other tribe members, and thus differentiate the outsiders, it might need some nerfing because its bound to happen to someone else, time and time again. 

The way griefing was solved in minecraft, i can't recall the mod's name, but it tracked every action a player took on a server.  And if someone griefed, they would contact an admin who could then hit the blocks in question, find out who did it, and then ban the player.  But it was better than just that, it was a massive ban.  It banned them from ALL servers that used that mod.  The player had the option to appeal the grief to the maker's of the mod, and both sides were able to argue your case.   But if you had a screenshot of the ID of it happening it was pretty hard evidence.  So in the long run, you weren't just banning a troll from your server, but all servers that used the mod, and it was super effective.  Granted being there is only a handful of servers of One Hour, and its all run by the dev, something different would need to be done.  But clearly there are those that would rather ruin other people's fun than actually play the game as intended.

#16 2018-03-07 00:29:32

xoomorg

I will grant you that I have only been playing for about a week, and perhaps my opinion will change with more experience (and time put into building things) but I for one am HAPPY that the game doesn't prevent griefing.  I think dealing with anti-social types is an important aspect of building a civilization.  I would support something like a two-hitpoint system (to give victims a chance to get away and/or warn others, alert the guards, etc.) but would be unhappy to see the game neutered entirely.  I know that it's frustrating to have a lifetime's work destroyed by some malcontent... but that's life.

#17 2018-03-07 01:45:53

Phate

Like I said before, I like that there is pvp, but people that do it JUST to grief, not even because they are starving and were denied entry into the settlement, are a totally different issue.  But right now, since you can't see names, and you can't identify who is who, and  they could just kill you within seconds as they charge off screen, there does need to be something done about it.  It's less about having a lifetime's work destroyed, its having multi generations of people's lifetime's ended, and only for the lols.  Its just that if it continues to get worse, the only solution is to take it out of the game, it would be the only way to grief the griefers, take away what makes the game fun to them.  And it would be okay, because the rest of the game is fun on its own, just not to those types.  But at the very least, once names, and clothes dying and signs are possible, then you could put pvp back in as you could post a warning that its kill on sight of any random people that show up, as otherwise you end up having kill friendly people that show up, otherwise it just creates a hostile world that is already inhospitable as it is. The two hit system could at least be a partial patch to buy the dev time to think of something else to do, but it just reminds me of pre-alpha minecraft where the most entertaining thing to do was to burn a whole city to the ground.  Its too enticing to the devious types to not just play the game to be assholes.

#18 2018-03-07 02:49:12

Lonewarior811

I understand that this is a game and it should be fun but it also tries to simulate history and this exact thing happened a long time ago.  It's almost like it's just another encounter in the game people have to deal with.  Like handling with animals or farming just other humans.  Same idea.  Treat it like anything else that you need to do for a successful civilization.

Think like how the people of the past thought in your shoes, not how you think of the past.

#19 2018-03-07 02:58:37

xoomorg

Lonewarior811 that is basically how I was looking at it, though I now realize there SHOULD be some notion of balance.  Phate, I meant not just PvP but also griefing -- I WANT the game to let people burn down villages or go on a murder spree.  But you're right that a single person shouldn't be able to have that much impact; there has to be balance.

(And to clarify why I think even "pure" griefing is a good thing to allow -- I actually find it fun to find myself spawning as a new Eve and stumble across a ghost town that is abandoned because everybody was murdered while it was at its peak, as opposed to finding one where everybody starved and drained everything.... the griefers do at least generate some "creative destruction" in terms of storytelling.)

#20 2018-03-07 03:03:33

Lonewarior811

xoomorg wrote:

Lonewarior811 that is basically how I was looking at it, though I now realize there SHOULD be some notion of balance.  Phate, I meant not just PvP but also griefing -- I WANT the game to let people burn down villages or go on a murder spree.  But you're right that a single person shouldn't be able to have that much impact; there has to be balance.

(And to clarify why I think even "pure" griefing is a good thing to allow -- I actually find it fun to find myself spawning as a new Eve and stumble across a ghost town that is abandoned because everybody was murdered while it was at its peak, as opposed to finding one where everybody starved and drained everything.... the griefers do at least generate some "creative destruction" in terms of storytelling.)

Tbh the balance is that people need to learn to start fighting back, like learning to only pick fruiting milkweed.  Right now no one prepares for it.  We need to start preparing, its another hurdle in evolution.  That is why I am positive Jason wants it just the way it is.  Also when people keep asking for the ability to take two hits, that is where we will start building armour some day, rn an arrow is lethal and anyone carrying one is extremely dangerous.

Last edited by Lonewarior811 (2018-03-07 03:09:45)

Think like how the people of the past thought in your shoes, not how you think of the past.

#21 2018-03-07 03:20:52

xoomorg

Again, I agree with you for the most part Lonewarior811 in terms of pushing society to evolve.. but to take it to an extreme, people shouldn't have a "wipe the entire server" button they can press when they want to screw with everybody.  There has to be balance SOMEWHERE in terms of how much damage a single person can do.  Maybe the current situation makes it too difficult to defend against such attacks, since it's often all over before anybody has realized what's going on.  A single village guard is reasonable -- personal bodyguards are not... but that's practically what it would take, to defend against griefer murder sprees.  Even just adding some audio clues such as a blood-curdling scream could alert everybody to be on their guard.

#22 2018-03-07 03:27:50

ned

I'm of the opinion that, because this is a game, what we do in it is purely transient, existing only in our minds after we log off. Further, this game does a great job at showing just how fragile human communities are. Poor management can wipe out civilizations just as effectively as raiding trolls. When they survive those factors, Time will destroy them all anyway.

History has its way of dealing with murderers, just as it does with bad leaders and thieves: capital punishment. A town would greatly benefit by having technologically advanced defenses, such as guards with shields, armor, hot oil, pit traps with spikes, etc. that everyday bandits could fall prey to but not make use of (until maybe siege equipment).

In the erstwhile, I agree with lonewarrior811. Other people, even your own children or parents, are simply more elements in this survival game. In fact, they're the most unpredictable elements, just like in real life.

Last edited by ned (2018-03-07 03:31:14)

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#23 2018-03-07 03:31:34

Lonewarior811

xoomorg wrote:

Again, I agree with you for the most part Lonewarior811 in terms of pushing society to evolve.. but to take it to an extreme, people shouldn't have a "wipe the entire server" button they can press when they want to screw with everybody.  There has to be balance SOMEWHERE in terms of how much damage a single person can do.  Maybe the current situation makes it too difficult to defend against such attacks, since it's often all over before anybody has realized what's going on.  A single village guard is reasonable -- personal bodyguards are not... but that's practically what it would take, to defend against griefer murder sprees.  Even just adding some audio clues such as a blood-curdling scream could alert everybody to be on their guard.

yeah audio cues make sense thats a good idea.  I just think that pvp is fair (in terms of balance) and maybe villagers rely on one guard too much when back in ancient times the whole tribe fought in defense.  We could be jumping a little to far ahead with guards and should try to put our mindsets with the people we play as in our evolved state.  Which is how we will probably advance further.  To go forward we need to take our thinking back.  Think "man has weapon" "man not from area" "man enemy".

Last edited by Lonewarior811 (2018-03-07 03:32:39)

#24 2018-03-07 03:35:00

xoomorg

ned, your point about technology is interesting.. maybe the balance needs to be adjusted all along the technological scale.  Right now, towns generally don't have the technology to build pit traps and such, and most don't even have guards of any sort.  Heck, from what I've seen even knives are somewhat rare.  (Now I wonder if I'm just on a backwater server... smile

Before people had armor, before they could build walls and defenses, they could at least still defend each other with their own hands and bodies, subduing would-be mass-murderers.  A single maniac with a knife can easily wipe out an entire village, the way things are currently.  That's not realistic.  Allowing people to cry out, adding some kind of (non-lethal) "subdue" mechanism, making it so everybody isn't 1-hitpoint at all times... SOMETHING might need to be done, to balance things at the subsistence-farmer level, since that's where so many players are at.

#25 2018-03-07 03:37:39

Lonewarior811

ned wrote:

I'm of the opinion that, because this is a game, what we do in it is purely transient, existing only in our minds after we log off. Further, this game does a great job at showing just how fragile human communities are. Poor management can wipe out civilizations just as effectively as raiding trolls. When they survive those factors, Time will destroy them all anyway.

History has its way of dealing with murderers, just as it does with bad leaders and thieves: capital punishment. A town would greatly benefit by having technologically advanced defenses, such as guards with shields, armor, hot oil, pit traps with spikes, etc. that everyday bandits could fall prey to but not make use of (until maybe siege equipment).

In the erstwhile, I agree with lonewarrior811. Other people, even your own children or parents, are simply more elements in this survival game. In fact, they're the most unpredictable elements, just like in real life.

Exactly.  But as for the methods of dealing with murderers rn.  Seeing as a lone eve can craft a bow just as fast as anyone else it seems op.  We need to not think for more evolved states when a lone eve can't cope with one guard in an advanced town.  I think as tribal people everyone is the guard since we are all in the same boat and no one has the upper hand.  We give it to murders by limiting our defense capabilities.  Since we all have bows, the most bows wins.

Last edited by Lonewarior811 (2018-03-07 03:39:38)

Board footer