One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-22 17:06:03

TAIOAN

If player can make sound...evolve their way of speaking!

I think it will be more interesting and researchable to see how people evolve their "way of speaking" and player can still type in game for sure.

Since we can't type any numbers in game, therefore it can achieve by using the "number keys" on keyboard,
from 1 to 0, but you may asking, how to form a way of speaking with these "ten sounds"?

Well, there are some languages with less than ten sounds(it called phoneme, vowel + consonants), although they are not common but they did exist.

We can just using the most common vowel and consonants(in different languages), such as
The most common vowel system consists of the five vowels /i/, /e/, /a/, /o/, /u/.
The most common consonants are /p/, /t/, /k/, /m/, /n/.

They can pronounce with different tones.

For the game mechanic, it may have the maximum speaking time per phrase when you start speaking(continually in a period of time).

Different ages/genders/kinds of person can have different sound system based on same phoneme.

I don't think player will grief people with speaking, they are more grief they can do if they want, all I observe in this game is,
in most of the time people are cooperating to survive.

It seems like there is no game achieve this kind of system, it can be another "first" OHOL can achieve,
just like the game mechanic which reborn as other player's child, that is really something.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#2 2018-06-22 17:11:43

Aurora Aurora

Re: If player can make sound...evolve their way of speaking!

So we'd have to make a new language and learn said language? I'd be down for that

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-06-22 17:16:36

TheRedBug

However this can be very hard for people who do not speak english as their first language.

For example, the sound E in english, to reproduce it in french, you have to use I

Because a french person have to say I to say E in english
(If you didnt catch it, English E sound = french I sound)

This is only with french tho... imagine other languages... it might be difficult for them XD

But i am down to try to learn this new language!

STEW! STEWWWWW!!!

#4 2018-06-22 18:28:42

startafight

sorry  im running on 2 hours of sleep but r u saying that using number keys, ppl should be able to make sounds to communicate? b/c what difference would that be from just baby talk? why would anyone choose to do that?

Last edited by startafight (2018-06-22 18:30:31)

#5 2018-06-22 19:08:02

Spockulon

To get a baseline idea of the difficulty of implementing your suggestion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voder

Not only would this potentially be a nightmare for Jason, it would be incredibly challenging for players to learn and integrate this skill, especially within our short hour-long lives, which are currently over-burdened with menial tasks.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean (the village, that is)!

#6 2018-06-22 22:46:28

Rebel

sounds fun

He could just implement a random letter sounds from whatever language to each letter, so when you type you only hear and note read.
Could make it interesting and have each eve have a different set language.

ovs this will never happen, it makes the game ten times harder and new players will quit even faster.

#7 2018-06-23 07:44:07

TAIOAN

TheRedBug wrote:

However this can be very hard for people who do not speak english as their first language.

Spockulon wrote:

To get a baseline idea of the difficulty of implementing your suggestion:

Oh, all I said is not to simulate any kind of language we have in reality,
You can still type to communicate for sure but you may tell your children when you make some sound, and the meaning of it.
All the vowel and consonants I mentioned above are sounds but not letters.

Maybe there are some sounds sound sharp or loud in their pronounce, they can be the meaning to aware of something.

Yeh, what I'm thinking may look like the "Voder" way.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#8 2018-06-23 08:02:00

The_Llamacorn

This seems very complicated and I don't think that's really what the game's about. And are you saying that people should create a whole new language, in that case I don't think that would be possible since it's hard to MAKE a language. And if we're supposed to just speak English it just seems unnecessary. The idea of being able to make sounds could work if they were words like for example: "HELP", "NO" and "YES" but I don't think this is necessary because we can already type things out.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

Board footer