One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 03:30:20

itzzgarrett

Fathers?

I don't know, maybe I'm just dumb. In honors of fathers day though, we should have fathers in one hour one life. Implementing marriage and other things like that would be neat because marriage is a HUGE part of the modern world and it would be fun to have a freal mom and dad not a mom and second cousin as "dad" xD.

#2 2018-06-18 03:34:39

Uncle Gus

Re: Fathers?

I have made a mod that adds fatherhood to the game, but it isn't hosted anywhere yet. It can be though.

#3 2018-06-18 03:36:45

itzzgarrett

like fathers giving birth orrrr like moms and dads

#4 2018-06-18 03:39:17

Uncle Gus

Mums and dads. It changes the check for an eligible mother to take into account the proximity to an adult male. If there are none around, you have very little chance of having a baby. If there is a guy around, he will be correctly identied as "YOUR FATHER" and all family relationships are traced through mother and father.

Every Eve gets an Adam so that she can have a family.

#5 2018-06-18 04:40:30

forestglade

No thanks.

#6 2018-06-18 05:05:59

Lotus

I feel like it shouldn’t be a necessity to have a father in order to have a baby. What if you’re an Eve and the only male nearby is your son? Nope.

But having fathers would be a great addition to the game. I know the game’s about realplay, but a lot of players have fathers or husbands as a central feature.

“You are my son” or “I am your dad/father” said by Father
“Dad” said by child would create father/child bond. Could work for two mother’s as well.

#7 2018-06-18 05:52:51

yvanhooe

Several options:

- Like Uncle Gus said, fathers are attributed automatically. Yes, expect toooons of incest.
- Make dating a choice. Have ways to express links between individuals. This brings an increased likelihood of having babies, and also gives a use to males.
- Anyway, the low population and nature of the game makes it unavoidable that immaculate conceptions still happen. It is as unrealistic as Eves spawning but there are no good ways around when no one is currently dating.

#8 2018-06-18 11:57:37

Lum

Gotta be a choice for sure, or every couple will be heterosexual which doesn't make sense

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#9 2018-06-18 14:15:58

zennyrpg

I made this suggestion on reddit 3 days ago.  I agree that fathers would be a super important addition to society.  I really want to see this implemented.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … g/fathers/

#10 2018-06-18 15:32:41

Tarr
Banned

What your kids don't have fathers? This bug ended up happening when server one was all sorts of messed up. She had both a mother and a father. If you clicked Ree Ree it would redirect you back to my family tree of Eve Ree.

w2aYVKY.png

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-06-18 15:44:08

YAHG

This suggestion keeps coming up over and over again. I vaguely remember a post about how if we had M+F->Babies
that people would feel stalked  or something creepy by random in game men.

I think it should be Adam+Eve pair spawns and it should be IMPOSSIBLE to have babies without an adult male
character too. Fosters actual teamwork. You could still have the Dad of the baby be unknown unless they are
monogamous or whatever set up you want to put in.

Also 'realplay'... Family drama is funny and interesting/engaging

If you have no one to breed with your town is doomed.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#12 2018-06-18 18:46:59

Verte

I would like to know Jason's opinion about fathers in OHOL.
It is really interesting to see this topic reemerge again and again. Maybe male players feel something disturbing in the birthing and breastfeeding mechanics?
Personally I like the way things are in game with single mothers and immaculate conception.
I would greatly dislike to have mariage implemented in OHOL. (The one and only time I commited in role playing a mariage in game, I was murdered by a jalous rival of my husband, for me it was pointless and annoying.) Role playing and relationships are not the point of interest of this game. And it is already difficult enough to continue a family without adding a male and female condition.
But I agree that the interactions are really interesting, like being raised by a grandmother, or an uncle, or taking care of another player even if he is not your child, whatever, sometimes you can share nice things with other people. There is no reason to implement a way to show it or write it down. Anyway everything we do in this game is meant to be ephemeral.

#13 2018-06-18 20:50:56

Uncle Gus

I made the mod as an answer to the problem of males being unnecessary. It's not uncommon for players to kill their male babies because of this. I wanted to make an incentive for keeping at least some males around.

The current birth mechanic is nice in that it avoids all issues to do with sex, consent, rape, incest, etc. It's very simple and pure. I wanted to introduce a need for males while disrupting this purity as little as possible. That's why I didn't include any kind of consent or action involved, I just used proximity, up to a minimum distance. Within that distance it makes no difference how close you are.

I then added an Adam spawn since if an Eve spawns in the wilderness and the nearest adult male is nowhere nearby, she won't have any babies, and the server would end up being populated entirely by solo Eves. Then after that I updated the lineage system to track mother and father and calculate relationships from that. In the case of being related to someone through both mother and father, it takes the closest relationship. So yes, incest is a thing, but it isn't portrayed anywhere and doesn't affect anything. If your father is also your uncle, you will just see him as your father, so you would need to ask people how they are related to other people to be able to work out where the incestuous relationship took place.

#14 2018-06-19 02:02:18

zennyrpg

Verte wrote:

I would like to know Jason's opinion about fathers in OHOL.

"Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears."  Its literally in the game description neutral

But yeah, in all seriousness, I would like know too.

#15 2018-06-19 02:41:11

startafight

i dont think the idea of males being used in conception is useful. the point of the current system is so that a lone woman can still repopulate a line and isnt dependent on male cooperation. i think the idea of being able to be adopted by your dad or to adopt your dad is a better, less complicated system. it could be like the naming system we have where a male picks up a baby and says "you are my child/daughter/son" and then he would be registered as either "father" or "adoptive father", i personally like the second cos it makes a better story.

(also with threads about "dads" or "adams" the idea of giving males an advantage always comes up. they already have an advantage- its that they can single-mindedly focus on one task. even if ur a woman who abandons all your kids, if ur the only one then ur basically stuck in baby duty. but a male can always care for an abandoned child or go explore further. if we start on expansion and exploration of towns, then males would become an essential part of that movement. they can go out further and look for better spots, and help move equipment or materials there. its really all about perspective and how useful ur being when ur born as a dude)

Last edited by startafight (2018-06-19 02:44:37)

#16 2018-06-19 10:28:42

annjust

Family originated in private ownership.

#17 2018-06-19 12:59:14

Valences42

annjust wrote:

Family originated in private ownership.

Can you elaborate on this?  Sorry I don't quite understand yet.

I agree with the adopting, not with the proximity based conception.

Although, being spawned as Eve with Adam would be a great help.

#18 2018-06-19 14:07:35

Valences42

#19 2018-06-19 20:47:26

Uncle Gus

Should I set up a server running my fatherhood mod so people can try it out?

#20 2018-06-19 20:52:27

forestglade

I don't want fatherhood or a man getting to choose a woman being pregnant. Or even more ways to kill off a civilization.

Just because you want it, doesn't mean the majority does.

#21 2018-06-19 20:53:01

YAHG

forestglade wrote:

I don't want fatherhood or a man getting to choose a woman being pregnant. Or even more ways to kill off a civilization.

Just because you want it, doesn't mean the majority does.

Same for you lol.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer