One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 11:37:17

DaughterOfEve

Final Regret

I was born a son into a well-established but  sparsely-populated village. My mama knew the secret of fire. In my early years, she ran back and forth to the trees, bringing back branches yet keeping a close eye on me as I grew.

My first job was that of Water Bringer. I found some ponds, very far west. Then, far east . My brother helped me in the task until our carrots thrived once more.

My mama gave me small tasks. “Get stone,” she would say. Or, “Take this snare south and trap a rabbit.” I became an expert rabbit catcher. We had more fur and meat than we could ever need. But when I asked my mama for clothes, she remained silent as she worked, sewing furtive objects of her own. Still, satisfied with our abundunt lot, I took up my old role of Water Bringer. Filling a basket with our pouches, I headed east. Frowning, I saw that my brother had emptied the ponds. I would refill them, then, so that they may replenish. I headed further east, pleased to find ponds aplenty, and I filled my pouches. Yet now I hungered. I had left no room in my basket for a carrot or berry, and I had never travelled so far from home. I knew I must eat before the journey back. I kept moving east.

East, I found the remains of a fallen hamlet. Momentarily forgetting my need, I hoisted a backpack over my shoulders, filling it with pouches (full!) and clay bowls. I clothed myself in the raiments my mother had denied me. Now I had warm clothes, full pouches... tools, too, I saw there.

Yet the crop fields were barren. The bushes were bare. And it was here that I perished, after more than three decades of life, with all of my village’s water pouches and the final, desperate knowledge of my folly.

Always bring a carrot with you.

Last edited by DaughterOfEve (2018-03-04 13:10:06)

#2 2018-03-04 12:43:23

Doctor Flintrock

Re: Final Regret

Oh dear. Something similar happened to me. 

I set off with three very valuable pouches and, though I was fortunate enough not to starve, it took me very long to make it back to the village, and worst of all, I hadn't found any water. I eventually spoke to a resident who listened to my story, sympathized with me, and then I realized after moving up a little that I had somehow made it back to my village. The crops were mostly gone. That could have been anything, but I assume it was mostly my fault.

The lesson was: set down a Marker.

Anyway, I thought my mother would be furious, but she just reiterated the order before doing it herself and never coming back to the village.

(There was also the time a son of mine was presumably eaten by a bear while carrying three of our pouches. He was later reborn into the village again as a baby and tried to guide me to the pouches as a child, but he just ended up getting us both killed because I hadn't bothered taking any food. Also, he might have been trolling. It's hard to say.)

Board footer